What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

bhodges

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 08, 2008, 11:04:55 AM
I get to hear it next week.  On Valentine's Day.  :)

Oh great, with whom?  (Sorry if you posted it already.)

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Quote from: bhodges on February 08, 2008, 11:08:41 AM
Oh great, with whom?  (Sorry if you posted it already.)

--Bruce

Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra - Alexander Mickelthwate conducting

Darryl Friesen - piano

bhodges

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 08, 2008, 11:13:38 AM

Darryl Friesen - piano

Ah, excellent.  Haven't heard Friesen, so do give a report if you like. 

--Bruce

toledobass

It's official.  I got my ticket to see Boulez and Cleveland!!! I haven't had a chance to see a live concert in a while and I need a break from playing so much lately.  I can't wait!!!!

Allan

bassio

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 08, 2008, 11:13:38 AM

Darryl Friesen - piano

I guess bhodges meant: with whom? (= who will you be going with?)  ;D
.. didn't you say it will be valentine's day?  ;)

bassio

Quote from: toledobass on February 08, 2008, 01:04:24 PM
It's official.  I got my ticket to see Boulez and Cleveland!!! I haven't had a chance to see a live concert in a while and I need a break from playing so much lately.  I can't wait!!!!

Allan

playing Maessian?

toledobass

bhodges

Quote from: toledobass on February 08, 2008, 01:04:24 PM

Allan

You lucky dog.  So which of these are you going to?  (Ah, you just answered...)

THIS WEEKEND AND NEXT:
Pierre Boulez conducts The Cleveland Orchestra
Pierre Boulez returns to Severance Hall to conduct The Cleveland Orchestra: on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 8:00 p.m., hear the lyrical Berg Violin Concerto with soloist Leonidas Kavakos, the Bach/Webern Ricercare from Musical Offering and Schoenberg's passionate Pelleas and Melisande. The Friday, Feb. 8 11:00 a.m. performance features Schoenberg and Bach/Webern. Next week, Maestro Boulez conducts Bartók's Bluebeard's Castle on Feb. 14 and Feb. 16.

PS, I'm getting a kick out of the fact that the Bartók Bluebeard is on Valentine's Day... ;D

--Bruce

SonicMan46

I assume this thread can include 'concerts just seen' -  :D (or do we have another thread for that category?) -  ;D

But, just getting back for the evening from a Winston-Salem Symphony concert (Robert Moody is our local conductor); program:

Richard Strauss - Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche
Arnold Schoenberg - Verklarte Nacht

Joseph Schwantner - Concerto for Percussion & Orchestra w/ Evelyn Glennie on percussion!

The last composer despite being an American from Chicago (and a few years older than me) is unknown to me!  Evelyn Glennie (my first experience w/ her skills, either live or on CD!) was just an amazing percussionist - moving from the back to the front of the stage, and playing just a wide assortment of drums, gongs, xylophones, etc. - and of course the piece de resistance is that she is DEAF!  I was impressed - she has performed in a variety of genres & has won a few Grammy awards - would be very interested in impressions from others concerning her recordings - thanks as usual!   :)

bhodges

That sounds like a fantastic concert, and Glennie is quite a phenom.  I don't have many of her recordings, but I can recommend this one most enthusiastically: James MacMillan's Veni, Veni, Emanuel, written for her.  It originally came out in 1993 but has been re-released; apparently Amazon still has copies of the original, which has Glennie's picture on the cover.

Reissue:

Original:

http://www.amazon.com/Evelyn-Glennie-Veni-veni-emmanuel/dp/B000003EL4

--Bruce

SonicMan46

Quote from: bhodges on February 10, 2008, 03:54:56 PM
That sounds like a fantastic concert, and Glennie is quite a phenom.  I don't have many of her recordings, but I can recommend this one most enthusiastically: James MacMillan's Veni, Veni, Emanuel, written for her.  It originally came out in 1993 but has been re-released; apparently Amazon still has copies of the original, which has Glennie's picture on the cover.

Bruce - thought that you might be one of the first to come through w/ recommendations!  :D

She was just amazing - running 'back & forth' from front and back stage w/ her groupings of percussion instruments - of course, I can't even imagine her inner experience in producing the percussion sounds along w/ the orchestra and not being able to HEAR any of this music! Indeed, phenomenal - she is on my 'wish list' to purchase a few CDs - not sure yet which 'genre' I may want?  (she won Grammy w/ a Bela Fleck collaboration - great banjo guy - have a number of his CDs) - she certainly is different - thanks - Dave  :)

Greta

I'm playing so much lately I don't get time to go any concerts and won't for a while. :(

So, the next two concerts I'm looking forward to are two I'm playing in!  :D

With our college wind ensemble, of Lamar University (a college in southeast Texas), the following program on the 12th, 14th, and 15th:

Giovanni Gabrieli - Sonata pian e forte
(arranged for 8 brass)

George Gershwin, trans. Thomas Verrier - Rhapsody in Blue
(transcription of orchestral version)

Charles Ives - March Intercollegiate

Morten Lauridsen, trans. H Robert Reynolds -
Ave Maria (world premiere of arrangement)

Michael Daugherty - Raise the Roof
(a 2003 commission for Detroit Symphony)

Our big concert is on the Friday, the 15th at 5pm at the Lila Cockrell Theater in San Antonio if anybody is in the area! And we are also putting the program to CD in recording sessions the following week. It's been really a fun program to work up.

There are also many great concerts this week at the same location featuring Texas' best school orchestras, choirs and other wind groups as part of the TMEA Convention taking place this week. More information is here: http://www.tmea.org

Another concert I'm looking forward to is March 4th, I play with our college jazz ensemble and we are doing a tribute to Harry James (a native of our area), with some other fun things thrown in.  ;D

Steve

This Saturday: Verdi's Falstaff at the Lyric Opera of Chicago..

"Andrew Shore plays the Fat Knight as a genial, whiskery old buffer.... to his histrionic and vocal gifts, he adds the feat of downing pints of beer without coming up for breath! Shore was born to sing this role!" The Times, London

With her rich, honeyed soprano and unstoppable stage presence, Veronica Villarroel "is nothing short of breathtaking."

bhodges

Quote from: SonicMan on February 10, 2008, 04:09:14 PM
Bruce - thought that you might be one of the first to come through w/ recommendations!  :D

She was just amazing - running 'back & forth' from front and back stage w/ her groupings of percussion instruments - of course, I can't even imagine her inner experience in producing the percussion sounds along w/ the orchestra and not being able to HEAR any of this music! Indeed, phenomenal - she is on my 'wish list' to purchase a few CDs - not sure yet which 'genre' I may want?  (she won Grammy w/ a Bela Fleck collaboration - great banjo guy - have a number of his CDs) - she certainly is different - thanks - Dave  :)

More...I had no idea until just now that she is now Dame Evelyn Glennie.  Here is her huge website, with a discography.  I realize I have another one of her recordings--Tüür's Magma--but I've been so busy I haven't listened to it yet.  :-[  Maybe will rectify that later today.

--Bruce

bhodges

Just decided to go hear this tomorrow night, since Gilbert is conducting, and I don't know the Nielsen well (although I've heard the Blomstedt recording). 

Carnegie Hall
February 12, 2008
The Curtis Symphony Orchestra
Alan Gilbert, Conductor

BARBER  Overture for The School for Scandal, Op. 5 
BEETHOVEN  String Quartet in F Minor, Op. 95, "Serioso"  
NIELSEN  Symphony No. 3, Op. 27, "Sinfonia espansiva"

--Bruce

SonicMan46

Quote from: bhodges on February 11, 2008, 10:00:30 AM
More...I had no idea until just now that she is now Dame Evelyn Glennie.  Here is her huge website, with a discography.  I realize I have another one of her recordings--Tüür's Magma--but I've been so busy I haven't listened to it yet.  :-[  Maybe will rectify that later today.

Bruce - yes, listed as a Dame in the program notes & introduced as such, also - been to her homepage, and quite impressive; a lot of CD choices on Amazon, and such a variety - hard to decide 'where' to start?

Enjoy your concert tomorrow night - looks good to me!  Dave  :)

Solitary Wanderer

First concert of the year coming up next Thursday:

Playing with Fire

APO

Christian Knapp Conductor 

Mûza Rubackyté  Piano 

Chopin Piano Concerto No. 1
Ravel Valses nobles et sentimentales
Stravinsky Firebird Suite

Pianist Mûza Rubackyté has been hailed by the Chicago Tribune as "one of today's most important pianists". She begins our season with Chopin's fiery Piano Concerto No. 1. It launches a programme blazing with colour and energy, with Ravel's multi-hued waltzes leading into Stravinsky's electrifying and unforgettable Firebird Suite.

Looking forward to it. Seems like a long wait [late November] between concerts  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

MishaK

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on February 14, 2008, 02:02:27 PM
Pianist Mûza Rubackyté has been hailed by the Chicago Tribune as "one of today's most important pianists". She begins our season with Chopin's fiery Piano Concerto No. 1. It launches a programme blazing with colour and energy, with Ravel's multi-hued waltzes leading into Stravinsky's electrifying and unforgettable Firebird Suite.

Looking forward to it. Seems like a long wait [late November] between concerts  :)

Enjoy the concert, but don't put too much currency in Chicago Trib reviews. The guy who writes there is rather random.

bhodges

Tonight, the excellent new music group Either/Or, in this program:

Georg Friedrich Haas: Ein Schattenspiel, for piano and live electronics, New York premiere
Alexander Stankovski: Duet for saxophone and piano, US premiere
Richard Carrick: Moroccan Flow (unfolding from unity) for cello, World premiere
Beat Furrer: Lied for violin and piano
Karlheinz Essl : more or less, real-time composition for 5 computer-controlled soloists, US premiere
Peter Ablinger: Weiss/Weisslich 4 for piano and ensemble

--Bruce