What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

The first concert sounds great but I must tell you that Kavakos playing that Shostakovich concerto is one of the most extraordinary live performances I've ever seen. The audience here in Dallas was so rapt that nobody coughed the whole cadenza. There was a truly rare electric quality. You could hardly blink. That performance will be worth sitting through the rest.

Brian

Quote from: ultralinear on November 30, 2021, 01:18:22 AM
Thank you for that observation, it's very helpful. :)  The last time I heard the Shostakovich in concert was with James Ehnes, and Ashkenazy conducting the Philharmonia - another jaw-dropping performance, but did rather raise my threshold of expectation.  Good to know I'm unlikely to be disappointed with this latest forced decision (much as I love Tabakova's music.)
Well jeez...talk about two expert conductors in this repertoire and probably the two best violinists for it.  :o ;D You'll be spoiled for life, for sure!

bhodges

On Friday night, this great-looking concert from the Minnesota Orchestra, at 8pm Central (9pm Eastern). As usual, the livestream is free, though contributions are welcome.

Ingrid Fliter (piano)
Thomas Søndergård (conductor)
Minnesota Orchestra

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: Ballade for Orchestra
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 23
R. Strauss: Ein Heldenleben

https://mnorch.vhx.tv/videos/live-12-3-ingrid-fliter-plays-mozart

--Bruce

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Judith

Another wonderful concert last week by local orchestra "The Haydn Players"

Performing

Mozart La clemenza di Tito
Haydn. Symphony no 98
Beethoven Symphony no 4

Conductor
Melvin Tay

VonStupp

Last week, I was able to step out for a great program:

Prokofiev Symphony 1 'Classical', op. 25
William Bolcom: Violin Concerto in D
Mozart: Idomeneo Overture, K. 366
Schoenberg: Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielszene, op. 34
Haydn: Symphony 96 'Miracle', H. 96

Milwaukee SO - Ken-David Masur

I have been looking forward to the Bolcom VC, but what a range for a visit to the symphony. I can't remember the last time I heard Haydn while out.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vandermolen

Just returned from seeing the first London performance of Sir James MacMillan's 'Christmas Oratorio'. This was a powerful and moving experience. 90 minutes with a break in the middle. I would definitely want to hear this again. Sir Mark Elder, Lucy Crowe, Roderick Williams with the LPO and LP Choir. The composer appeared on stage at the end and received a standing ovation. On the way up and back on the train I read his short and ultimately moving autobiography 'A Scots Song'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bhodges

Quote from: Judith on December 03, 2021, 10:16:14 AM
Another wonderful concert last week by local orchestra "The Haydn Players"

Performing

Mozart La clemenza di Tito
Haydn. Symphony no 98
Beethoven Symphony no 4

Conductor
Melvin Tay

Lovely!

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: VonStupp on December 04, 2021, 02:35:06 PM
Last week, I was able to step out for a great program:

Prokofiev Symphony 1 'Classical', op. 25
William Bolcom: Violin Concerto in D
Mozart: Idomeneo Overture, K. 366
Schoenberg: Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielszene, op. 34
Haydn: Symphony 96 'Miracle', H. 96

Milwaukee SO - Ken-David Masur

I have been looking forward to the Bolcom VC, but what a range for a visit to the symphony. I can't remember the last time I heard Haydn while out.

VS

This looks wonderful -- unusual program, and program order, too. Love that they ended with the Haydn. Usually any Haydn gets relegated to the beginning of a concert, and why not have it end it all?

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2021, 03:39:35 PM
Just returned from seeing the first London performance of Sir James MacMillan's 'Christmas Oratorio'. This was a powerful and moving experience. 90 minutes with a break in the middle. I would definitely want to hear this again. Sir Mark Elder, Lucy Crowe, Roderick Williams with the LPO and LP Choir. The composer appeared on stage at the end and received a standing ovation. On the way up and back on the train I read his short and ultimately moving autobiography 'A Scots Song'.

Totally cool. And I love Roderick Williams! Have seen him once in person, at an intimate concert at Bargemusic in New York -- enough to turn me into a fan. (Lucy Crowe isn't bad, either, nor Sir Mark.  8) )

Sounds like a marvelous evening.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2021, 03:39:35 PM

Great to read, Jeffrey. Quite a long work, too. I'm sure we can expect a recording of it at some juncture.

vandermolen

Quote from: Brewski on December 04, 2021, 04:10:19 PM
Totally cool. And I love Roderick Williams! Have seen him once in person, at an intimate concert at Bargemusic in New York -- enough to turn me into a fan. (Lucy Crowe isn't bad, either, nor Sir Mark.  8) )

Sounds like a marvelous evening.

--Bruce

I wrote my comments after I got home at about 1.00am and thought of some other things that really impressed me. The two soloists, Lucy Crowe and Roderick Williams were brilliant. I found her first soprano solo incredibly moving and think very highly of Roderick Williams. There were some great moments, near the start with the trombones and chorus. The harp and the vibraphone had very big roles. Sections reminded me a bit of Britten (War Requiem) and Janacek (Sinfonietta and Glagolitic Mass) but it is also a work of striking originality. I hope that John is right and there is a recording soon. However, seeing it live was very special. On Friday night my wife asked me to come to see an evening of Celtic-type folk singing in the local church, which I also enjoyed (even bought the CD  ::)). So, it has been quite a musical weekend for me and, of course, very special to attend live concerts again. My daughter enjoys classical music and I've noticed a concert featuring Walton's First Symphony in London on her birthday next March, so maybe that will be another family outing!
I took this photo last night walking across the Thames over Hungerford Bridge. The Royal Festival Hall is on the far right (light blue roof):

Brian

Mark Elder caused a bit of a stir at the Dallas Symphony recently because he spent a good bit of time ranting to the orchestra about how Brexit has made artistic life so much harder. True, no doubt. But unfortunately it was during rehearsal time and the result was that they lost a considerable amount of the work day!

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on December 05, 2021, 06:44:58 AM
Mark Elder caused a bit of a stir at the Dallas Symphony recently because he spent a good bit of time ranting to the orchestra about how Brexit has made artistic life so much harder. True, no doubt. But unfortunately it was during rehearsal time and the result was that they lost a considerable amount of the work day!
I see his point but that was not a good use of rehearsal time.

André

Hervé Niquet will conduct the Montreal Symphony in Berlioz' L'Enfance du Christ. Soloists include Marie-Claude Lemieux as Mary and Cyrille Dubois as the récitant. This is very tempting.

Brian

Quote from: André on December 07, 2021, 05:17:34 AM
Hervé Niquet will conduct the Montreal Symphony in Berlioz' L'Enfance du Christ. Soloists include Marie-Claude Lemieux as Mary and Cyrille Dubois as the récitant. This is very tempting.
That is VERY tempting.

Quote from: ultralinear on December 07, 2021, 05:13:03 AM
Email received today from London's Southbank Centre:

First the St Petersburg Philharmonic "cancelled due to Covid".  Now this.  I have half a mind just to return all my tickets for the rest of the season, and be done with it. >:(
That is VERY upsetting.
Who's the replacement and is there still time to catch Tabakova?

bhodges

From 20 November, the concert I attended live by Ekmeles is now on YouTube. For those curious about microtonal, a cappella choral music (granted, perhaps a small niche 8)), this sextet is now among the best vocal groups in the world. I was mostly interested in a second hearing of Primo Libro (2017) by James Weeks, director of Exaudi, a similar ensemble in London. Weeks composed the piece using an octave divided into 31 tones.

Anyway, the program is just under an hour, and the rest of the works are fascinating, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR28hH14vg0

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

First the St Petersburg Philharmonic "cancelled due to Covid".  Now this.  I have half a mind just to return all my tickets for the rest of the season, and be done with it. >:(
Bummer!  So sorry to hear the bad news.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Oh sorry I missed this, and even sorrier for the cancellation. With the pandemic situation changing seemingly every day, I am hearing similar sad tales elsewhere. Multiple friends who were planning to go to Europe for the holidays have changed their plans. And others who were there already have returned to the U.S., fearing they may not be able to get back in the country without quarantining. It's all so emotionally exhausting.

Anyway, hope they reschedule, and that you can get there at some point.

--Bruce

bhodges

Just got a notice from the Aspen Music Festival and School that they will stream a series of one-hour concerts, starting in January 2022. They aren't live, but were recorded during the pandemic and broadcast now. The series looks to be free, but as usual lately, they probably wouldn't say no to small contributions.

http://www.aspenmusicfestival.com/events/aspen-armchair-concerts

--Bruce