What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

Might go to hear Thibaudet play Debussy Preludes Book II and Brahms Piano Sonata No.3 this Sunday.

bhodges

MishaK

Quote from: bhodges on February 20, 2008, 08:45:32 AM
Delete that word "might" immediately!  ;D

That would make an ungrammatical sentence that already omits the subject even worse.  ;D

bhodges

All right, then change "might" to "I pledge to"...

;D

--Bruce

MishaK

Holy F--K! The CSO just announced the new season. I get to hear Chailly do Mahler 10 for my birthday and then he does Bruckner 5 the following week! Dudamel returns for Brahms 2, Luisi conducts Symphonie fantastique, Haitink does Shosty 15, Schubert 9, Mahler 2, Bruckner 8, Lutoslawski, Trpceski plays Tchaik PC1, Boulez does Janacek Sinfonietta and Ives. Sensory overload! I'm gonna go broke.

bhodges

It's definitely chock full of great stuff.  I'd also love to hear that Muti in that Verdi Requiem, with Barbara Frittoli and Olga Borodina.

I'm amazed Boulez is doing Ives.  From his comments (e.g., he'd have to "recompose" his work) I didn't think he liked him much.

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Quote from: O Mensch on February 20, 2008, 09:25:27 AM
Holy F--K! The CSO just announced the new season. I get to hear Chailly do Mahler 10 for my birthday and then he does Bruckner 5 the following week! Dudamel returns for Brahms 2, Luisi conducts Symphonie fantastique, Haitink does Shosty 15, Schubert 9, Mahler 2, Bruckner 8, Lutoslawski, Trpceski plays Tchaik PC1, Boulez does Janacek Sinfonietta and Ives. Sensory overload! I'm gonna go broke.

Argh!  I am so envious! :(  I can't wait to see the WSO line-up.  I'm hoping they put Bruckner into the program.   :)

toledobass

I just saw Boulez do tje Janacek here in Cleveland and it was amazing.  A whole different experience from the more driven versions I have heard. It sort of reminded me of when someone does Brahms very well, how layered and dense the music really is and how much of that part of the construction of the music so many people fail to pay proper attention to. 

Very enjoyable listening,
Allan

toledobass

If I  actually make it through this week alive,  I fly out to Sacremento next week to catch the Mrs. in the Sacremento Opera production of Turn of the Screw.  She's Mrs. Grose.

(Also get to see my niece who was born in late Jan!!!!!)
Allan

MishaK

Allan,

You should try to get this CD (only available through that link). It has the most amazing Janacek Glagolitic Mass with Boulez conducting, among many other goodies.

karlhenning

Quote from: toledobass on February 20, 2008, 09:59:01 AM
If I  actually make it through this week alive,  I fly out to Sacremento next week to catch the Mrs. in the Sacremento Opera production of Turn of the Screw.  She's Mrs. Grose.

(Also get to see my niece who was born in late Jan!!!!!)
Allan

!!!

Tempora

April 11-12
Maggio Musicale Fiorentino Orchestra- Zubin Mehta
F.Mendelssohn-Opus 20
J.Brahms Symphony Op 68. No 1

toledobass

Quote from: O Mensch on February 20, 2008, 10:07:07 AM
Allan,

You should try to get this CD (only available through that link). It has the most amazing Janacek Glagolitic Mass with Boulez conducting, among many other goodies.

Wow thanks so much for that.  I'm ordering it today.

Allan

karlhenning

Mark! Are you back, lad?

(Don't make me read your signature!  ;D )

bhodges

Tonight, this fascinating concert by Marilyn Nonken, Director of Piano Performance Studies at New York University.  I've heard her do the Harvey piece before, and liked it quite a bit.

Tom Beyer: New Work (world premiere, w/ Kathy Supove, piano)
Chris Bailey: Out Of
Beth Wiemann: A Change in the Weather
Alvin Lucier: Music for Piano with Pure-Wave Slow-Sweep Oscillators
Jonathan Harvey: Tombeau de Messiaen

--Bruce

karlhenning

Saturday night at Symphony:

MOZART :: Symphony No. 29
BERG :: Chamber Concerto for piano and violin with thirteen wind instruments
BRAHMS :: Serenade No. 2

Isabelle Faust, violin
Peter Serkin, piano

MishaK

karlhenning

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on February 21, 2008, 08:51:29 AM
Saturday night at Symphony:

MOZART :: Symphony No. 29
BERG :: Chamber Concerto for piano and violin with thirteen wind instruments
BRAHMS :: Serenade No. 2

Isabelle Faust, violin
Peter Serkin, piano

Wow, nice program.  I just heard Levine conduct that Berg a few weeks ago, and it was marvelous, and I haven't heard the Brahms live in a very long time.

--Bruce