What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDL

Quote from: erato on June 04, 2008, 02:17:12 AM
Gurreleider - yesterday. Pretty amazing and awe-inspiring.

Nice one. I love hearing Gurrelieder in the flesh. Where and who?

MDL

Quote from: Jezetha on June 03, 2008, 11:03:19 PM
Snork?! That word is always used on The Archers message board (BBC Radio Four) to describe a screen-splattering reaction to reading something funny when you're sitting behind your computer with coffee (or tea)!

Is it? I'm not an Archers fan so I've never been on that forum.

The new erato

Quote from: MDL on June 04, 2008, 02:41:55 AM
Nice one. I love hearing Gurrelieder in the flesh. Where and who?
Sorry about the leider !

Bergen festival, Andrew Litton conducting. I'm still shaking. 360 performers on the stage, (incl glockenspiel, 4 harps, 4 bassons and 2 (!) bass-basoons (is that counterbasoons?), bass clarinet, some seriously large trombonesm  10 man strong percussion, 10 flutes of varying sizes, etc, etc....) .

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: MDL on June 04, 2008, 02:57:15 AM
Is it? I'm not an Archers fan so I've never been on that forum.

Funny. Because that is where it originated! I became active on that board in October 2006. So the word must have 'broken loose' as it were!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

MDL

Quote from: erato on June 04, 2008, 03:37:15 AM
Sorry about the leider !

Bergen festival, Andrew Litton conducting. I'm still shaking. 360 performers on the stage, (incl glockenspiel, 4 harps, 4 bassons and 2 (!) bass-basoons (is that counterbasoons?), bass clarinet, some seriously large trombonesm  10 man strong percussion, 10 flutes of varying sizes, etc, etc....) .

Contrabassoons, I believe. Why contra I have no idea.

The new erato

bhodges

Tomorrow night, I'm hearing Lorin Maazel and the New York Philharmonic in Mahler's Ninth.  The Wednesday night performance got an excellent review in the paper today, but I'm almost more excited about my listening companions: a graphic designer friend and her husband, who will be hearing their first live Mahler concert.  They are very excited about it.

--Bruce

M forever

Quote from: MDL on June 04, 2008, 05:02:07 AM
Contrabassoons, I believe. Why contra I have no idea.

The term "contra" in musical terminology is to be understood not in the sense of "opposed" but "opposite", as indicating a "mirrorred" relationship between two elements rather than a "conflict". Counterpoint is the art of putting two melody lines in relationship to each other ("opposite" of each other), but not in a conflicting way, in a way in which they relate to each other harmoniously. Instrumental or vocal ranges are typically denoted "contra" when they extend a range by mirroring it. Therefore, the extension of the "basso" range is the "contrabasso" which mirrors it. But it can also go the other way. The high male voice is the "tenor", the higher male voice which "mirrors" or extends it is the "counter tenor".

MDL

Quote from: M forever on June 06, 2008, 06:02:38 PM
The term "contra" in musical terminology is to be understood not in the sense of "opposed" but "opposite", as indicating a "mirrorred" relationship between two elements rather than a "conflict". Counterpoint is the art of putting two melody lines in relationship to each other ("opposite" of each other), but not in a conflicting way, in a way in which they relate to each other harmoniously. Instrumental or vocal ranges are typically denoted "contra" when they extend a range by mirroring it. Therefore, the extension of the "basso" range is the "contrabasso" which mirrors it. But it can also go the other way. The high male voice is the "tenor", the higher male voice which "mirrors" or extends it is the "counter tenor".

Thanks for the explanation. Also, I suppose that while it's logical to refer to bass clarinets, trumpets, trombones and flutes, a "bass bassoon" sounds a bit clunky.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: MDL on June 07, 2008, 02:12:19 AM
Thanks for the explanation. Also, I suppose that while it's logical to refer to bass clarinets, trumpets, trombones and flutes, a "bass bassoon" sounds a bit clunky.

It's more often called a 'double bassoon'.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

PerfectWagnerite

Tomorrow, June 13th at Avery Fischer Hall, Lorin Maazel conducts the NYPO, one of the worlds great Mahler orchestras, in Mahler's 9th Symphony. I am really excited.

bhodges

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 12, 2008, 04:02:45 PM
Tomorrow, June 13th at Avery Fischer Hall, Lorin Maazel conducts the NYPO, one of the worlds great Mahler orchestras, in Mahler's 9th Symphony. I am really excited.

I heard this last Saturday night, and took a husband-and-wife couple for their first live Mahler performance.  (Not to worry; they are familiar with Mahler from recordings--I would never spring the 9th on someone by surprise.  :D

Anyway, I hope I don't oversell it, but you are in for a treat: the wife said afterward, "That gave me the vapors!"  Even with a few brass glitches (just to be fair), it was marvelous in many ways. 

--Bruce

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: bhodges on June 12, 2008, 04:20:33 PM
I heard this last Saturday night, and took a husband-and-wife couple for their first live Mahler performance.  (Not to worry; they are familiar with Mahler from recordings--I would never spring the 9th on someone by surprise.  :D

Anyway, I hope I don't oversell it, but you are in for a treat: the wife said afterward, "That gave me the vapors!"  Even with a few brass glitches (just to be fair), it was marvelous in many ways. 

--Bruce
Yeah, Mahler's 9th is like pizza: even when it's average it's pretty damn good.

I am also looking forward to next Saturday night, June 20, at Avery Fischer Hall, Lorin Maazel and the NYPO perform Anton Bruckner's 8th Symphony.

MDL

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 12, 2008, 04:26:03 PM

PIZZA?!?!  ;D

bhodges

I am also looking forward to next Saturday night, June 20, at Avery Fischer Hall, Lorin Maazel and the NYPO perform Anton Bruckner's 8th Symphony.

And I'll be hearing that same concert on Friday night.  (Saturday night I will be at a jazz concert.) 

Tonight looking forward to this at Zankel Hall.  The Ensemble ACJW (ungainly name) is a group of young players, a joint project between Carnegie Hall and Juilliard.

Ensemble ACJW
Pablo Heras-Casado, Conductor

Bach: Orchestral Suite No. 4 
Cavalli (arr. Jacob Druckman): Delizie contente che l'alme beate 
Druckman: Delizie contente che l'alme beate 
Kagel: "East" from The Compass Pieces 
Adès: Chamber Symphony, Op. 2 
Carter: Asko Concerto

--Bruce

M forever

That pretty much sums up your understanding of music. And pizza, too, I guess. Thanks for this contribution.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: M forever on June 13, 2008, 06:50:00 PM
That pretty much sums up your understanding of music. And pizza, too, I guess. Thanks for this contribution.
And someone put a gun to your head and forced you to read it and reply right? Shouldn't you be worrying about which gig as a prop you are going for next?
My contributions do not include such absolutely stupid and insipid comments as to how Szell and Reiner killed music making in America, give me a break. Actually you are pretty close to a Nazi, a cultural Nazi that is. This includes every clunker made by central European orchestras is somehow more idiomatic than anything from the U.S.. And please do us a favor, stop recommending the Sinopoli Mahler cycle on DG. It is terrible, from first note to last. You go to the store and grab any Mahler recording off the shelf and the conducting, playing and recorded sound are all better.

M forever

Except that you don't know anything about conducting, playing, or recorded sound, so why should your "opinion" impress me? What musical experience do you base your deep analysis on?

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 13, 2008, 07:19:25 PM
This includes every clunker made by central European orchestras is somehow more idiomatic than anything from the U.S.

I don't think you even begin to understand what may or may not be "idiomatic" in orchestral music. That is a cultural world that is completely alien to you and that you can only look at from the outside, as you have often demonstrated. Yes, I guess it is pretty "nazi" when someone who has actually grown up in a particular culture, studying and playing the music himself has the nerve to think that he may understand that better than someone who hasn't, who lacks the most basic insights into that culture...

That's pretty completely idiotic even for you. That would be like me saying I understand Chinese culture better than you and it would make you a "Nazi" for disagreeing.

BTW, if the above is true, why did I rip and upload the complete Schubert 9 with CSO/Giulini just recently to offer it to other members as a "special treat"?

MDL

Quote from: M forever on June 13, 2008, 06:50:00 PM

Blimey, who crapped on your corn flakes? Not nice.