What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 27, 2008, 07:06:40 AM
Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra

September 26, 2008

Strauss, R. - Also Sprach Zarathustra
Korngold - Violin Concerto (James Ehnes, violin)
Strauss, R. - Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks

Fantastic concert!  James Ehnes was an amazing performer, in front of his very appreciate "home crowd".  He came back for an encore, playing the 2nd mvt. of Bach's Violin Concerto No. 1.   :)

Excellent! Ehnes is currently my favourite living violinist. Who was the conductor?

ChamberNut

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 27, 2008, 03:41:37 PM
Excellent! Ehnes is currently my favourite living violinist. Who was the conductor?

Alexander Mickelthwate.  Wonderful young conductor, who's now in his 3rd year with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.

Brian

Tonight at Rice University!
Pianist and University of North Texas (  :P ; I don't know who they are, but we beat their football team 77-20 yesterday  ;D ) professor Gustavo Romero plays Beethoven: Sonata in C Minor, Op. 10 No. 1; Sonata in G Major, Op. 79; Sonata in A Major, Op. 2 No. 2; Sonata in A-flat Major, Op. 110; and Sonata in C Major, Op. 53 "Waldstein."

We'll see how it is ... I'm excited though!   :D

Brian

Almost forgot! Two exciting concerts this weekend from Rice student orchestras:

Saturday, October 4
Shepherd School Symphony Orchestra
Berlioz - Le corsaire
Wagner - Prelude and Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde
Smetana - "Vltava [The Moldau]"
Janacek - Sinfonietta

Sunday, October 5
Shepherd School Chamber Orchestra
Varèse - Ionisation (!!)
Tchaikovsky - Suite No 4, "Mozartiana"
Mendelssohn - Symphony No 3, "Scottish"

Senta

Ooh, those concerts look good Brian!

I saw this today!!

Quote from: Senta on September 19, 2008, 12:49:35 AM

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Robert Spano, conductor

Bach/Stokowski: Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3
Emmanuel Ax, piano
Brahms: Symphony No. 1

I'm liable to go into superlatives here if I get started!!

I wasn't familiar with the Bach at all, and the Brahms, only parts of it, now I am sold on both. ;)  And the Piano Concerto is such a neat piece.

The whole concert was a knockout...amazing pieces, and incredible performances! I was in awe of how technically stunning they were, how well balanced, how seamlessly they play together...I have many Atlanta SO recordings I treasure, and live they sound absolutely as they do on CD. And Spano is great! :D So energetic, he just radiates joy on the podium and it is infectious. I am thrilled I got the chance to see them live!

MDL

Siouxsie Sioux (ex-Banshees) playing at Koko in Camden Town tonight. I should probably have posted this in The Diner or somewhere because it isn't classical, but it is a concert I'm looking foward to, so what the hell...   ;D

bhodges

Quote from: MDL on September 29, 2008, 04:16:13 AM
Siouxsie Sioux (ex-Banshees) playing at Koko in Camden Town tonight. I should probably have posted this in The Diner or somewhere because it isn't classical, but it is a concert I'm looking foward to, so what the hell...   ;D

Please report back!  If it's part of the same tour, I heard her last spring here and she was great.

Tonight, I'm hearing the American Modern Ensemble in this interesting program titled Women Who Rock.

Missy Mazzoli: Lies You Can Believe In
Hannah Lash: Stalk
Alexandra du Bois: Dopo il duol, Dopo il mal (After Sorrow, After Woe)
Gabriela Frank: Adagio para Amantani
Vivian Fung: Miniatures
Roshanne Etezady: Mother-of-Pearl
Laura Schwendinger: High Wire Act
Augusta Read Thomas: Passion Prayers

--Bruce

Wendell_E

Mobile Chamber Music Society
QNG -- Quartet New Generation
Recorder Collective

Thursday, October 16th, 7:30 pm

Diverse and Diagonal

Pavan—John Dowland (1563 - 1626)   

Mortal Flesh (2007-08)—Paul Moravec (b. 1957) 

Alla dolce ombra—(Diminutions by Girolamo Dalla Casa)—Cipriano de Rore (1516-1565)

Airlines (2008, written for QNG)—Woiciech Blecharz (b. 1981)

Ping Pong (2008, written for QNG)—Ulrich Schultheiß (b. 1956)

Intermission

Fuga a tre soggetti  (from The Art of the Fugue)—Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)

Arak (2008)—Petros Ovsepyan (b. 1966)

Vexilla regis (1892)—Anton Bruckner (1824 - 1896)

Sitting Ducks—Chiel Meijering (b. 1954)

When the season was announced, a "recorder collective" sounded pretty missable, but the program may be interesting, with its mixture of "olde" and new.  Not sure about Brucker on recorders, though.   ;D
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

MDL

Quote from: bhodges on September 29, 2008, 05:53:01 AM
Please report back!  If it's part of the same tour, I heard her last spring here and she was great.

--Bruce

This was the final date of the the Mantaray tour, so Siouxsie played two sets, which is unsual for her. The evening was being filmed, so there'll probably be a DVD before long. There were also numerous costume changes, which added a bit of camp glamour to the evening.

This was the third time I'd seen her in 11 months; the previous shows were at the Roundhouse, also in Camden, and the O2 Festival in Hyde Park. The sets didn't vary a great deal; most shows included old faves Israel, Christine, Happy House, Dear Prudence, Spellbound, Arabian Knights, Hong Kong Garden and Night Shift, loads of tracks from Mantaray and some slightly underwhelming covers. Last night, I really could have done without the cover of These Boots Are Made For Walking (if that's the title), especially since Sioux played nothing from her albums Join Hands, A Kiss in the Dreamhouse, Hyaena, Tinderbox, Looking Glass, Peepshow, Superstition or The Rapture, and the only Creatures track she performed was Right Now.

Still, a fun evening in a gorgeously over-the-top venue that, shamefully, I'd never been to before.

At the O2 Festival, Siouxsie performed an amazing piece of choreography whereby she lifted her leg up to head height, grabbed hold of it and held that pose for a few moments (Madonna, eat your heart out), leading an acquaintance of mine to come out with a comment that I couldn't possibly repeat on a civilised forum such as this. Siouxsie didn't repeat that move last night.

bhodges

Quote from: MDL on September 30, 2008, 03:53:01 AM
This was the final date of the the Mantaray tour, so Siouxsie played two sets, which is unsual for her. The evening was being filmed, so there'll probably be a DVD before long. There were also numerous costume changes, which added a bit of camp glamour to the evening.

This was the third time I'd seen her in 11 months; the previous shows were at the Roundhouse, also in Camden, and the O2 Festival in Hyde Park. The sets didn't vary a great deal; most shows included old faves Israel, Christine, Happy House, Dear Prudence, Spellbound, Arabian Knights, Hong Kong Garden and Night Shift, loads of tracks from Mantaray and some slightly underwhelming covers. Last night, I really could have done without the cover of These Boots Are Made For Walking (if that's the title), especially since Sioux played nothing from her albums Join Hands, A Kiss in the Dreamhouse, Hyaena, Tinderbox, Looking Glass, Peepshow, Superstition or The Rapture, and the only Creatures track she performed was Right Now.

Still, a fun evening in a gorgeously over-the-top venue that, shamefully, I'd never been to before.

At the O2 Festival, Siouxsie performed an amazing piece of choreography whereby she lifted her leg up to head height, grabbed hold of it and held that pose for a few moments (Madonna, eat your heart out), leading an acquaintance of mine to come out with a comment that I couldn't possibly repeat on a civilised forum such as this. Siouxsie didn't repeat that move last night.

Three times in 11 months...you lucky dog.  8) 

And as for that choreography, she must be one of the most in-shape 50-year-old singers around.  (Feel free to P.M. me with the comment if you like.  ;D

Thanks for the post.  Here's a 2004 photo of her performing in NYC, at B.B. King's in Times Square.  Don't like this venue much at all--yours sounds much more interesting--but she was great.

--Bruce

springrite

squarez called and offered his extra ticket to the Duetch Opera performance of Der Rosenkavalier tomorrow night at the Beijing Poly Theatre. I know nothing about the cast nor conductor. But I am looking forward to it!

springrite

Quote from: M forever on October 02, 2008, 08:55:08 PM
Ignorance is bliss!

Thank you. I meant I have no information about it at this point, not that I have never heard of them. Chances are, I have heard most of them before. It isn't often that Der Rosenkavalier is on stage in Beijing. Most of the time it is Carmen, La Boheme and La Traviata.

Florestan

Tonight, the season opening concert of the Romanian Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Beethoven

Wellington's Victory
Piano Concerto No. 5
Symphony No. 3 Eroica

Horia Andreescu, conductor
Gerhard Oppitz, piano

I've never heard Oppitz playing, what am I to expect of him?

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brian

Quote from: Brian on September 28, 2008, 12:00:10 PM
Friday, October 3
Shepherd School Symphony Orchestra
Berlioz - Le corsaire
Wagner - Prelude and Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde
Smetana - "Vltava [The Moldau]"
Janacek - Sinfonietta
I just found out that, in alignment with a glorious and somewhat shady Rice tradition, my roommate has arranged a blind date for me for this concert.  :o

MDL

Festival Hall
Thursday 16 October 2008, 7.30pm

Olivier Messiaen La Transfiguration de notre seigneur Jesus-Christ for chorus & orchestra

Kent Nagano conductor
Pierre-Laurent Aimard piano
Kenneth Smith flute
Karen Stephenson cello
Mark van de Wiel clarinet
David Corkhill percussion
Kevin Hathway percussion
Peter Fry percussion
BBC Symphony Chorus
Philharmonia Voices

It should be interesting to compare this to the Proms performance I attended not too long ago. I don't know, you wait decades for a Transfiguration to make an appearance, and then they turn up in pairs.

bhodges

Quote from: MDL on October 03, 2008, 07:34:41 AM
Festival Hall
Thursday 16 October 2008, 7.30pm

Olivier Messiaen La Transfiguration de notre seigneur Jesus-Christ for chorus & orchestra

Kent Nagano conductor
Pierre-Laurent Aimard piano
Kenneth Smith flute
Karen Stephenson cello
Mark van de Wiel clarinet
David Corkhill percussion
Kevin Hathway percussion
Peter Fry percussion
BBC Symphony Chorus
Philharmonia Voices

It should be interesting to compare this to the Proms performance I attended not too long ago. I don't know, you wait decades for a Transfiguration to make an appearance, and then they turn up in pairs.

I am in awe that you will have heard this twice in little more than two months--amazing.  And I don't see even a single performance of it scheduled in New York this year.  :'(

--Bruce

adamdavid80

Hey, Bruce, what concerts are you going to?  What here in NY is available this weekend?
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

bhodges

Tomorrow and Sunday I'll be at Carnegie Hall:

Toronto Symphony Orchestra
Peter Oundjian, conductor
Ute Lemper, vocalist
Hudson Shad, vocal group
Weill: The Seven Deadly Sins
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 11, "The Year 1905"

The MET Orchestra
James Levine, conductor
Christian Tetzlaff, violin
Beethoven: Große Fuge, Op. 133 
Messiaen: Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum
Brahms: Violin Concerto 

Are you going to either of those? 

--Bruce

MDL

Quote from: bhodges on October 03, 2008, 07:40:24 AM
I am in awe that you will have heard this twice in little more than two months--amazing.  And I don't see even a single performance of it scheduled in New York this year.  :'(

--Bruce

It's pretty unusual, certainly. I think it was done in London about a decade ago, possibly by the LSO in the Barbican, but I missed it for some reason. (I'm not 100 per cent sure about that, though; maybe I dreamt it.) Did you get around to buying a recording or are you waiting for the rerelease of the Dorati?