What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Splendid, Tony!  I'd love to hear the Manfred Symphony live.

bhodges

Tonight:

John Adams: Doctor Atomic (at the MET, with Gerald Finley, conducted by Alan Gilbert)

--Bruce

Drasko

And how about the concerts you were looking forward to :P
Had tickets for La Poeme Harmonique new staged production, early 17th century Venetian music (revolving around Monteverdi) Venezia, dalle strade ai pallazzi, but then some last moment family problem made it a no go. And it was one night only guest performance. Oh, well...

bhodges

Quote from: Drasko on October 13, 2008, 04:10:39 PM
And how about the concerts you were looking forward to :P

Here you go:

Toronto Symphony Orchestra with Peter Oundjian and Ute Lemper
http://www.musicweb-international.com/SandH/2008/Jul-Dec08/toronto0410.htm

The MET Orchestra with James Levine and Christian Tetzlaff
http://www.musicweb-international.com/SandH/2008/Jul-Dec08/levine0510.htm

These two concerts were superb, especially the Toronto program.  The friend with me went out and bought the Shostakovich 11th Symphony on iTunes the day after--he was that impressed. 

Now last night's Doctor Atomic, unfortunately, was another story: very disappointing.  I really wanted to like it, as did 3 other friends there, but none of us thought very highly of it.  I like John Adams, the raw material is interesting (i.e., Oppenheimer and the development of the atomic bomb), and the cast was very good.  But the direction was often really, really static, and I didn't feel the score was Adams' best work.

--Bruce

M forever

Quote from: bhodges on October 14, 2008, 11:35:44 AM
Now last night's Doctor Atomic, unfortunately, was another story: very disappointing.  I really wanted to like it, as did 3 other friends there, but none of us thought very highly of it.  I like John Adams, the raw material is interesting (i.e., Oppenheimer and the development of the atomic bomb), and the cast was very good.  But the direction was often really, really static, and I didn't feel the score was Adams' best work.

Oh, wow. I don't think I have ever read a negative review from you before.

Lilas Pastia

Adams himself may have felt so:  some good music within a failed opera. He devised an orchestral suite, which is available as download somewhere. I have it and really like it. Not great, but quite good stuff. I suppose sitting through the whole staged affair might be tedious, though.

bhodges

Tomorrow night:

R. Strauss: Salome (final performance at the Met, with Karita Mattila, conducted by Patrick Summers)

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Quote from: bhodges on October 15, 2008, 09:56:38 AM
Tomorrow night:

R. Strauss: Salome (final performance at the Met, with Karita Mattila, conducted by Patrick Summers)

--Bruce

Ahh, envy is mine!   :)

bhodges

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 15, 2008, 09:57:33 AM
Ahh, envy is mine!   :)

By any chance did you catch the broadcast last Saturday?  If not, they are doing encore screenings at some theaters (i.e., now taped, rather than live).  And then after that, they usually show the tape on public television a few weeks later, at least in the U.S.  So you might have other chances to catch it.  :D

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Quote from: bhodges on October 15, 2008, 10:02:39 AM
By any chance did you catch the broadcast last Saturday?  If not, they are doing encore screenings at some theaters (i.e., now taped, rather than live).  And then after that, they usually show the tape on public television a few weeks later, at least in the U.S.  So you might have other chances to catch it.  :D

--Bruce

I'll check the PBS feed we get here in Canada.  And also our local movie theaters.  Good tip Bruce, thanks!  :)

bhodges

Just had a few minutes so I checked the Met's site, and the encore is showing Saturday, Nov. 15, and it looks like at about 6 theaters in Winnipeg!

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Quote from: bhodges on October 15, 2008, 10:11:18 AM
Just had a few minutes so I checked the Met's site, and the encore is showing Saturday, Nov. 15, and it looks like at about 6 theaters in Winnipeg!

--Bruce

Excellent, Bruce!  I'll mark that on my calendar.  Thank you!

Lilas Pastia

These theater showings seem to be a big success. Here it's shown in a 600-seat theater in HD, and you better line up an hour ahead or you can't get good seat (or any seat at all). There's also a euro series of performances. About half are from La Scala, but Salzburg and other famous venues are also listed.

springrite

Murray Perehia's recital in Beijing later this evening.

Bach: Partita #2
Beethoven: Appasionata
Chopin Ballade #3 and #4
Chopin Etudes, Mazurkas, Nocturnes

adamdavid80

Quote from: springrite on October 15, 2008, 08:56:54 PM

Chopin Ballade #3 and #4

He's still ALIVE????
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

springrite

Quote from: springrite on October 15, 2008, 08:56:54 PM

Chopin Ballade #3 and #4

Yes, alive and well. Almost well at least. Overall, he played beautifully, except for the opening movement in the first and second halves, which is expected considering his old hand injury. He obviously had difficulties at the beginning when his hands were relatively stiff.

bhodges

Tonight, this concert at Carnegie:

Boston Symphony Orchestra
James Levine, Music Director and Conductor
Maurizio Pollini, Piano

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6, "Pathétique" 
Leon Kirchner: The Forbidden (NY Premiere) 
Schumann: Piano Concerto

--Bruce

M forever

Quote from: springrite on October 17, 2008, 01:46:44 AM
Yes, alive and well. Almost well at least. Overall, he played beautifully, except for the opening movement in the first and second halves, which is expected considering his old hand injury. He obviously had difficulties at the beginning when his hands were relatively stiff.

So you think that Perahia is not smart enough to warm up before each half of the concert?

adamdavid80

Quote from: springrite on October 17, 2008, 01:46:44 AM

I was kidding about the alive part (no one gets my sense of humor...least of all me), but, actually, i was surprised to hear he still performs.  I'm not sure if I would be able to enjoy a Perahia performance today.  No disrespect intended, but the limitatiojns his hand injury brings is kinda reminiscient of fat Elvis in the 1970's...if you close your eyes you can almost imagine your really there, but the reality of the situation is a little less magical...
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

bhodges

Tonight, seeing Doctor Atomic again.  I want to hear Alan Gilbert and the Met Orchestra play the score once more, even if the production as a whole doesn't quite work.

--Bruce