What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamdavid80

Quote from: bhodges on October 21, 2008, 06:44:30 AM
Tonight, seeing Doctor Atomic again.  I want to hear Alan Gilbert and the Met Orchestra play the score once more, even if the production as a whole doesn't quite work.

--Bruce

What have the reviews been like?  The New Yorker gave it a middling grade, but not as bad as yours.  (Then again, you ARE seeing it again)
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

bhodges

Quote from: adamdavid80 on October 21, 2008, 08:09:43 AM
What have the reviews been like?  The New Yorker gave it a middling grade, but not as bad as yours.  (Then again, you ARE seeing it again)

Reviews are quite, quite mixed.  Check out composer Mark Adamo's comments on his blog (two different posts).  I think he's pretty perceptive (as was Ross).

http://www.markadamo.com/index.php

I just decided it would be worth hearing the great Met Orchestra play the score again, and now that I know what to expect from the production and direction...I won't be disappointed!  >:D  Seriously, if you're an Adams fan, you might want to check it out, just for the musical values.  But FWIW, a friend who saw the Netherlands Opera DVD and loved it, then saw the Met's version two days later--and she didn't like it at all.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on October 21, 2008, 08:16:44 AM
Reviews are quite, quite mixed.  Check out composer Mark Adamo's comments on his blog (two different posts).  I think he's pretty perceptive (as was Ross).

http://www.markadamo.com/index.php

Thanks for the link, Bruce; and YHM!

ezodisy

23 October, Paris. Time to dust off the old recording equipment.

Novi

Quote from: ezodisy on October 22, 2008, 01:14:08 AM

23 October, Paris. Time to dust off the old recording equipment.

What is the programme?
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

ezodisy

supposed to be Chopin (nocturne and sonata 3), Sibelius valse triste, Liszt mephisto waltz and Ravel Gaspard. No guarantees however, and of course he might not show up. Bought a ticket this morning and was told that there are enough left to buy on the evening of, which is surprising, of course.

springrite

Quote from: ezodisy on October 22, 2008, 05:56:44 AM
Bought a ticket this morning and was told that there are enough left to buy on the evening of, which is surprising, of course.

Well, not surprising to me since he has lost so many followers over the past decade or so, and I do not believe attracted new ones.

ezodisy

Quote from: springrite on October 22, 2008, 06:33:56 AM
Well, not surprising to me since he has lost so many followers over the past decade or so, and I do not believe attracted new ones.

sorry Paul but I don't buy it -- everyone with or without desire stares at a car crash.

bhodges

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm hearing a rare performance of Bernstein's Mass, with Marin Alsop and the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.  I have never heard the whole piece.  What's also interesting is the venue: tonight they're doing it at Carnegie Hall, but my friends and I decided to go to the one tomorrow at the United Palace Theater in Harlem (photos below).  According to the program notes there will be about 700 people onstage.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on October 24, 2008, 07:18:08 AM
Tomorrow afternoon, I'm hearing a rare performance of Bernstein's Mass, with Marin Alsop and the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.  I have never heard the whole piece.

I shall take keen interest, Bruce, in your review!

karlhenning

Tonight, a friend of mine who is finishing a Master's in conducting at NEC is leading a concert as part of his endgame:

Ravel, Mother Goose Suite
Beethoven "Emperor" Piano Concerto
Act II from Humperdinck's Hansel und Gretel

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on October 24, 2008, 07:47:14 AM
Tonight, a friend of mine who is finishing a Master's in conducting at NEC is leading a concert as part of his endgame:

Ravel, Mother Goose Suite
Beethoven "Emperor" Piano Concerto
Act II from Humperdinck's Hansel und Gretel

Well isn't that a great program!  I just heard the Humperdinck for the first time last December--marvelous score.

--Bruce

Solitary Wanderer

This Friday the NZSO:

Looking forward to the Strauss tone poems.

VERDI La Forza del Destino Overture
ROSSINI Largo al factotum from The Barber of Seville
BELLINI Ah! per sempre io ti perdei from I Puritani
MOZART The Marriage of Figaro Overture and The Catalogue Aria from Don Giovanni
PUCCINI Questo amor, vergogna mia from Edgar
BIZET Toreador Song from Carmen
R STRAUSS Don Juan and Till Eulenspiegel

PIETARI INKINEN Conductor
TEDDY TAHU RHODES Bass-Baritone

In a 19th century final concert, opera rubs shoulders with tone poems from Bavaria. Verdi's heroine in La Forze del Destino, forced to choose between her father and lover, suffers a tragic fate, foreshadowed in the dramatic overture by the use of the destiny theme. Richard Strauss' Don Juan and Till Eulenspiegel in turn graphically portray well known rakishness and a prankster's merry exploits. To complement the Verdi, the bass-baritone arias are in keeping with the drama of this programme. 

I'm less interested in the opera aria's simply because I'd prefer to hear them in the context of the complete opera.

Should still be good though  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

M forever

Quote from: bhodges on October 24, 2008, 07:51:20 AM
I just heard the Humperdinck for the first time last December--marvelous score.

That's exactly what Richard Strauss (who conducted the premiere) said, too.

bhodges

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on October 25, 2008, 01:49:42 PM
I'm less interested in the opera aria's simply because I'd prefer to hear them in the context of the complete opera.

Should still be good though  :)

Yes, but Teddy Tahu Rhodes should be great!  He has a very fine voice, and was in the Met's recent production of Peter Grimes, as Ned Keene.  He was a huge hit--definitely a rising star.

Please report back...

--Bruce

Brian

Solitary Wanderer, would be interested to hear what you think of Pietari Inkinen, and also of former director James Judd, who's a candidate for the music directorship in my parents' town.

I just got back from a fantastic performance of Berlioz' opera Beatrice and Benedict, at the Houston Grand Opera. It was sung in English, but still terrific, with a comical Somarone (who slipped in a Joe the Plumber joke...) and generally marvelous cast. It didn't hurt that the usher stopped me on the way to my seat in the balcony and gave me a free promotional ticket to a place smack in the middle of the orchestra section!  :o :D

MDL

Today is the first day of the Southbank Centre's Stockhausen binge. There's a free performance of Michael's Greeting in the front room, and then:

Karlheinz Stockhausen KLANG - 5th Hour: Harmonien (Harmonies) (vers. for bass clarinet) UK premiere
Karlheinz Stockhausen Trans for orchestra & tape
Karlheinz Stockhausen KLANG - 5th Hour: Harmonien (Harmonies) (vers. for flute) UK premiere
Karlheinz Stockhausen Trans for orchestra & tape

Royal College of Music Orchestra
Diego Massonconductor
Cathie Boyddirector
Suzanne Stephensbass clarinet
Kathinka Pasveerflute

And they're performing Trans twice! Well, I'm excited, anyway.

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams symphonies 5,6 9 etc tomorrow Festival Hall, London (Philharmonia, Hickox)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ChamberNut

November 1, 2008

Ho, Vincent - Red Zen
Corigliano, John - The Red Violin:  Chaconne (Nikki Chooi, violin)
Holst - The Planets

Tonight's WSO concert.

Drasko

This coming Thursday

Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse
Tugan Sokhiev conductor
Nelson Freire piano

Messiaen - Les Offrandes oubliées
Franck - Symphonic variations
Mussorgsky/Ravel - Pictures at an Exhibition

I've heard Freire couple times before and think he is one of the best pianist you can hear live today, but never heard Toulouse orchestra and am curious to hear if they retained any of that typical french sound or will sound just plain generic.