What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

This past weekend's concert was a thrill, especially the Emperor concerto!  LaPlante was just flawless!  However, he hums quite loudly.  ;D

Brahms - Symphony No. 4
Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 5

Andre LaPlante, piano

Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
Alexander Mickelthwaite, conduting

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brahmsian on October 19, 2009, 02:17:16 PM
This past weekend's concert was a thrill, especially the Emperor concerto!  LaPlante was just flawless!  However, he hums quite loudly.  ;D

Ray - don't you hate that!  :(  I especially dislike hearing these grunts on recordings, but probably not as bad as your fellow Canadian Glenn Gould;) ;D   Dave

MishaK

November 14:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Bernard Haitink, conductor
Eugene Izotov, oboe
David McGill, bassoon
Robert Chen, violin
John Sharp, cello

Haydn -   Sinfonia concertante in B-flat Major
Bruckner -   Symphony No. 9

8)

some guy

3 November. Metz.

Turntable Titans Tour.

eRikm
Ignaz Schick
Katsura Mouri (of Busratch)
Martin Tetreault

I've been on the road since 18 August. Have seen well over a hundred concerts in that time. Some of them pretty spectacular (like the one with Peter Brötzmann in Fresne-en-Woëvre). But I'm guessing that this concert in Metz will be the cream of the cream. We'll see. (It's also, I just realized, the last concert of this trip. :()

Brian

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on October 28, 2009, 11:46:07 AM
9th April 2010 at the Cadogan Hall, London:

Shostakovich Festive Overture
Shostakovich Piano Concerto No.2
Shostakovich Symphony No.5

Maxim Shostakovich conductor
Natasha Paremski piano
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

WHOA!
If I could afford the plane tickets...

greg

Quote from: bhodges on October 16, 2009, 06:33:56 AM
Tomorrow night, can't wait for this one:

International Contemporary Ensemble
Steven Schick, percussion and conductor
Miller Theatre, Columbia University

All-Xenakis program

Psappha (1975)
Akanthos (1977)
Echange (1989)
Palimpsest (1979)
Thallein (1984)
O-Mega (1997)

--Bruce
:o

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on October 28, 2009, 11:46:07 AM
9th April 2010 at the Cadogan Hall, London:

Shostakovich Festive Overture
Shostakovich Piano Concerto No.2
Shostakovich Symphony No.5

Maxim Shostakovich conductor
Natasha Paremski piano
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
That's even better than the one I'm going to...
I'm also seeing the 5th tomorrow night, along with the Rachmaninoff 2nd Concerto- Christopher Wilkins, Orlando Phil. with soloist William Wolfram.

greg

Okay, I just finished seeing it 2 1/2 hours ago.
I did enjoy it- how could I not? The last time I went to see a concert was August 18, 2005, so that would be over 4 years ago.

I think the performance of the Shostakovich was a bit better than the Rachmaninoff. The orchestra just doesn't have a big, thick string sound which is required. Either that, or they just play too cautiously. The trumpets, especially, frequently needed to speak up more than they did (though I have to say, the low brass- trombones and tubas sounded as good as any orchestra I've heard).

The weirdest thing is, I guess, nothing about the concert, or the fact that there were so many people my age or younger there, but what it was like driving back at night. The only time I drive at night is every time I drive home from work, but this is a little different. I turned the wrong way and just decided to go into this really big bookstore that I never went in before for a while. Then, in the parking lot, more than ever, I just wanted to walk... and keep walking... all night long... and I don't know if I can describe it in words, but maybe, float into the sky and turn into part of the night sky and then go into another universe and cause the apocalypse. I guess that's what happens whenever I'm far away in some place I'm not too familiar with at night- the overwhelming excitement combined with overwhelming pain really feel weird...

I have to know... anyone understand what I'm talking about?

greg

Quote from: Greg on October 30, 2009, 09:24:40 PM
As I thought, only me... well, never mind then.

some guy

Quote from: Greg on October 30, 2009, 09:24:40 PMThe last time I went to see a concert was August 18, 2005....
You have GOT to be kidding! I've been to 150+ concerts since August 18, 2009. This year.

One of us is WAY out of line!!

greg

Quote from: some guy on November 01, 2009, 06:25:24 AM
You have GOT to be kidding! I've been to 150+ concerts since August 18, 2009. This year.

One of us is struggling to survive financially until he gets out of school a few months from now...

The new erato

I'm going to hear the b minor mass at concert in half an hour......

MishaK

Quote from: Greg on November 01, 2009, 06:26:58 AM
One of us is struggling to survive financially until he gets out of school a few months from now...

Do they not have student tickets in your neck of the woods? I think I went to more concerts when I was still a student, as compared to when I joined the workforce.

Brian

O Mensch, if Greg is in Orlando, even if they will have student tickets I don't imagine there will be many opportunities to cash in. However, Greg could probably get into WAY more concerts than he currently does. In Houston there is a huge music scene, obviously, and with student tickets or free tickets all around, I have caught about 10-12 concerts so far this school year.

Greg, as an example, check the student package of your local orchestra. This year I got a college student season ticket pack from the Houston Symphony which, for $66, got me 6 concert tickets. My seats - in the front orchestra section - have a face value of $61 for one single concert. So I got a 6 for the price of 1.082 deal!

Also, if UCF or another local university has a music school, check its events calendar. Most student recitals will be free, and student recitals tend to have really adventurous programming because they're required to cover a certain number of centuries.

That's an average of 2 concerts per day, dude.

Sergeant Rock

I've been to 150+ concerts since August 18, 2009. This year.

Uh...that must be a misprint  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Greg on October 30, 2009, 09:24:40 PM

I do (well, not about going into another universe and causing the apocalypse ;D ) but the feeling of just wanting to walk into the night. Sure, many times in my youth. I was lucky enough to live in areas that allowed that too. Long, lonely night walks...very Thomas Wolfeian  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Christo

Looking forward to - in the good company of fellow forum member Jezetha! - a world premiere.

I.e. of the Requiem (1935, but only rediscovered last year) for choir and orchestra by Cornelis Dopper (1870-1939). Thursday, November 19, in the Geert Reis Theater in the Northern Dutch town of Stadskanaal (of all places; Dopper was born there, but later went to study in Leipzig and on).

Interestingly enough, the concert also features the Dutch premiere of the Fourth Symphony (2009) by Arvo Pärt. BTW I only learned from this programme that Pärt actually wrote a Fourth, some fourty years after his Third. Did anyone hear it already?

North Netherlands Choir & Orchestra under Anthony Hermus, repeating the concert on Friday and Saturday, 20 and 21 of November, in Drachten and Groningen - an opportunity HARRY shouldn't miss!

For Cornelis Dopper see here.

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Brian

Quote from: Christo on November 01, 2009, 12:32:51 PM
Interestingly enough, the concert also features the Dutch premiere of the Fourth Symphony (2009) by Arvo Pärt. BTW I only learned from this programme that Pärt actually wrote a Fourth, some fourty years after his Third. Did anyone hear it already?
Victor Carr jr. (ClassicsToday) has heard it.

I recently discovered Cornelis Dopper's Seventh Symphony and it's a big enough favorite of mine that I am really envious of you and Jezetha! You will have to enjoy that performance for all of us and report back. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on November 01, 2009, 12:32:51 PM
Looking forward to - in the good company of fellow forum member Jezetha! - a world premiere.

I.e. of the Requiem (1935, but only rediscovered last year) for choir and orchestra by Cornelis Dopper (1870-1939). Thursday, November 19, in the Geert Reis Theater in the Northern Dutch town of Stadskanaal (of all places; Dopper was born there, but later went to study in Leipzig and on).

North Netherlands Choir & Orchestra under Anthony Hermus, repeating the concert on Friday and Saturday, 20 and 21 of November, in Drachten and Groningen - an opportunity HARRY shouldn't miss!

For Cornelis Dopper see here.

Christo pre-empted me... But yes, I am going with him to far and distant Stadskanaal to hear that still virginal Requiem by Stadskanaal's greatest son, Cornelis Dopper. Looking forward to it!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

Quote from: Brian on November 01, 2009, 12:36:22 PM
Victor Carr jr. (ClassicsToday) has heard it.

I recently discovered Cornelis Dopper's Seventh Symphony and it's a big enough favorite of mine that I am really envious of you and Jezetha! You will have to enjoy that performance for all of us and report back. :) 

Hi Brian,

Good report, I missed it (though I am a Classicstoday reader), many thanks indeed! I remember a forum discussion on Dopper's Zuiderzee Symphony, and your (and Jezetha's) admiration for it, which caused me to reconsider my verdict. (Always thought it was lovely, but derivative). I plan to play my complete Dopper collection before the concert; we'll see, he may turn out to be a better composer than he's commonly credited for.

We will, of course, duly report on the Requiem, and all that comes with this world premiere, as probably this forum's only members who will be there to report on the occasion.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948