What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Great review, Sarge. You almost made me hear the performances. Excellent. Thanks!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

bhodges

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 22, 2010, 07:14:18 AM
..and because she's a thrifty German Frau who demands as much for her money as possible.  ;D

Sarge

;D  ;D

--Bruce

Florestan

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 22, 2010, 06:38:45 AM
our twelfth row balcony seats cost 158 Euro each!!!

Jesus Christ and Mary Holy Mother of God! :o

That makes 300 Euro, which is a relatively good salary in Romania...  ;D

Otherwise, great review!  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

bhodges

Tonight, at Galapagos Art Space, Chicago-based Opera Cabal presents USW, a one-act chamber opera about the life of Rosa Luxemburg, with music by Lewis Nielson, a composer new to me.

--Bruce

mahler10th

Your description of Maazel at the helm made your review come to life.  What a night it must have been.

bhodges

On Monday at Carnegie Hall:

Minnesota Orchestra
Osmo Vänskä, Music Director and Conductor
Päivi Nisula, Soprano
Hannu Niemelä, Baritone
YL Male Voice Choir
Matti Hyökki, Chorus Master

Beethoven: Große Fuge, Op. 133 (arr. Michael Steinberg)
Sibelius: Kullervo, Op. 7

A friend who just heard the same concert in Minneapolis said they did Finlandia as an encore--haven't heard that in a very long time.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Renfield

Quote from: bhodges on February 25, 2010, 08:02:29 AM
A friend who just heard the same concert in Minneapolis said they did Finlandia as an encore--haven't heard that in a very long time.

--Bruce

Aha! I knew Vänskä would not disappoint. :D

stingo

Interesting - I'll be hearing Vanska conduct in Philadelphia on March 13th:

AHO Minea
LISZT Piano Concerto No. 2
SIBELIUS Symphony No. 2
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Osmo Vanska, conductor
Jean-Frederic Neuberger, piano

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 22, 2010, 07:03:17 AM
It's normal, unfortunately, for the top tier international orchestras. (The New York Phil played last month, with comparable ticket prices.) Frankfurt's a rich city and there's no orchestral competition (not like London) so they can fill the hall even at those prices. Of course there were lower prices (starting at 50 Euro) but Mrs. Rock and I like to sit in certain places...places that tend to be pricey. The HR Sinfonieorchester is the home band (they used to be called the RSO Frankfurt). The top price for their concerts is around 50 Euro, very reasonable.

Sarge

Are you often in Frankfurt for classical music? That's not your home turf, is it? Somehow, I place you further to the West.
If there is something interesting (i.e. not with Maazel) upcoming that you are planning to attend with the Frau, let me know if you wish.
Frankfurt's always worth a trip.

Meanwhile on topic (or slightly behind topic):
Ionarts-at-Large: Bach's St. John Passion with Ton Koopman

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on March 01, 2010, 01:57:55 AM
Are you often in Frankfurt for classical music? That's not your home turf, is it? Somehow, I place you further to the West.

Southwest, actually. We live in a village on the Rhine north of Worms. It takes 50 to 60 minutes to drive to the Alte Oper. We attend quite a few concerts in Frankfurt.

QuoteIf there is something interesting (i.e. not with Maazel)

;D :D ;D  Okay, he is an acquired taste, I admit.

The next concert we're planning to attend is this one (interesting, for me anyway, because it's a rare opportunity to hear the Rott symphony live):

Donnerstag, 15. April 2010
Großer Saal, 20:00 Uhr
hr-Sinfonieorchester         
Paavo Järvi  Leitung
Emmanuel Pahud Flöte

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Ouvertüre zur Oper »Die Entführung aus dem Serail«
Flötenkonzert G-Dur KV 313
Hans Rott Sinfonie Nr. 1

Preise: € 16,- 23,50 32,- 40,- 49,- (Endpreise) VA

We haven't decided yet whether to go Thurs or Fri.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Lady Blacksmith Mambazo - part of the Wake Forest University 'Artist's Series' - this Thursday evening in Wait Chapel - have a couple of their CDs, but will be first time seeing the group 'live' - should be popular!  :D

mahler10th

Quote from: SonicMan on March 01, 2010, 05:52:29 AM
Lady Blacksmith Mambazo - part of the Wake Forest University 'Artist's Series' - this Thursday evening in Wait Chapel - have a couple of their CDs, but will be first time seeing the group 'live' - should be popular!  :D

How super!  I would pay plenty of money to see them myself.
Wait Chapel?  Is it small or large?

SonicMan46

Quote from: John on March 01, 2010, 09:53:30 AM
How super!  I would pay plenty of money to see them myself.
Wait Chapel?  Is it small or large?

Hello John - Wait Chapel holds over 2,200 people, so there should be a crowd!  On the main Reynolda campus of Wake Forest University (painting below - beautiful building).

As a faculty member (of the medical school), my wife and I have 'free' seasonal passes each year to all of the concerts, so no cost for us (parking is even FREE!).

Most of the events for this series are held in the Scales Fine Arts Center in one of two smaller auditoriums, so the school uses a variety of different size places anticipating the attendance.  Dave  :D

mahler10th

I have decided to apply for 'Honourary' Faculty membership (Music/Literature/Arts) of Wake Forest University.  This way, it is likely even my air fares will be paid to see up and coming concerts and I'll sleep over at a campus party before returning home.
Aye.  Put in a good word for me Dave.
:P
In all seriousness, Lady Blacksmith Mambazo are magnificent on the World circuit, and I hope you enjoy the thrilling sound of their sonorities!  One of the few outfits in "World Music" I rate and respect very much.

SonicMan46

Quote from: John on March 01, 2010, 10:48:00 AM
I have decided to apply for 'Honourary' Faculty membership (Music/Literature/Arts) of Wake Forest University.  This way, it is likely even my air fares will be paid to see up and coming concerts and I'll sleep over at a campus party before returning home.
Aye.  Put in a good word for me Dave............

John - will do!  ;D  We'll let you stay @ our house, just 10 mins. from the WFU major campus - the medical center campus is near business I-40 on what is now called the 'Bowman Gray Campus' - pic below of where I work!

Dave

mahler10th

Oh Good.  I have written a long letter to the Provosts Office at Wake Forest University, demanding that I be installed as a Honourary Professor of the Arts, and sent a copy also to John Friedenberg, Director of Theatre there, and included a whopping $5 in the hope that he finds this persuasion enough.  I will take your offer up and stay at you home after concerts, where I can admire some fabulous X-Ray art and drink some Coors before taking off to Ohio for prolonged discussions with Cato regarding his 'Lorenz Cure' for listeners of Atonal Muisc.
:P

*** JOHN realises he is talking nonsense and rushes off to hide in Scotlands mountains***

Archaic Torso of Apollo

This Saturday - hope I can make it!:

Moscow New Music Studio

Ligeti: Horn Trio; 10 Pieces for Woodwind Quintet; Continuum for Harpsichord

Reich: Violin Phase; Piano Phase
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 01, 2010, 04:49:57 AM

Donnerstag, 15. April 2010
Großer Saal, 20:00 Uhr
hr-Sinfonieorchester         
Paavo Järvi  Leitung
Emmanuel Pahud Flöte

Super! I'll totally be there. Let me know what date you chose and whether you wish to meet or avoid me. In the former case, do you know a local third person that would care to attend on my second ticket? (I assume you will be traveling with your lady wife and in any case don't care for "Parkett-plaetze".