What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock and I will be leaving shortly for the Rott concert in Frankfurt (Mozart Flute Concerto and Rott's Symphony). Just got an email from Jens. He's already in Frankfurt and scheduled to interview Paavo Järvi before the concert tonight. We're hoping to meet Jens (I'm wearing a pink ribbon in my hair so he'll recognize me  ;D )  Sadly, John, our resident Rott fanboy, isn't able to join us.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

offbeat

Quote from: bhodges on April 14, 2010, 12:32:24 PM
Wonderful program (speaking as an admirer of the Gorecki).  I'm not the hugest Glass fan, and haven't heard that concerto, but I have heard it's one of his best pieces.  Have only heard one CD of Turnage's work (not this piece) and he is...hm...hard to describe.  I gather he is heavily influenced by some rock music.

--Bruce
Tks Bruce - dont think ive ever heard any of Turnages so could be good or bad  :-\
Re Glass i think i know what you mean - ive heard some of his ultra minimalist stuff which seems to go on and on with no discernable change and makes me scream please stop - however i love his music for the film Koyaanisqatsi so really im in definite two minds about him  :-\ :-\ :-\

Dax

At Schotts in Great Marlborough Street in London at 6.30 on Saturday 17th there is a most interesting programme. I'll be there for sure: -

17 April
Jonathan Powell
Rachmaninoff Variations on a Theme of Chopin
Blumenfeld Episodes in the Life of a Dancer
Medtner Sonata op.25 no.2 'Night Wind'
Obukhov Revelation

bhodges

Tonight, Alan Gilbert and the NY Philharmonic in three world premieres:

Sean Shepherd: These Particular Circumstances 
Nico Muhly: Detailed Instructions    
Matthias Pintscher: songs from Solomon's garden, for baritone and chamber orchestra

--Bruce

knight66

Will there be anyone else there Bruce?  >:D

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

DavidW

I'm thinking about going next month to see Hilary Hahn and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra perform Mozart and Higdon.  I think it might be neat. :)

I guess I have to make up my mind soon before tickets sell out. ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Christo on April 17, 2010, 06:40:10 AM

;D :D ;D

One or both of us should have worn that. We did meet briefly a few minutes before the concert started, agreed to meet during intermission, but then we somehow missed each other within the confines of a rather small albeit crowded space. Pink turbans would have been useful  :D  We had better luck after the concert.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Tonight at Symphony:

Ligeti: Concert Românesc
Shostakovich: Pf Cto № 1 (w/ Marc-André Hamelin)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony № 2, Little Russian

BSO Assistant Conductor, Julian Kuerti

BTW, if you wish, you can hear the concert stream live at wcrb (Listen Live, 99.5).

petrarch

Jordi Savall, The Music of the History of Jerusalem, at Harvard in a couple of weeks...
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

bhodges

Tonight, the expert musicians of the New York New Music Ensemble in a bunch of premieres:

David Rakowski: Phillis Levin Songs (2008, New York premiere)
David Cope: Quartet for flute, violin, cello and piano (2009, world premiere written for NYNME)
Charles Wuorinen: Trio for flute, bass clarinet and piano (2009, world premiere written for NYNME)
Lei Liang: Trio for piano, cello and percussion (2002, New York premiere)
Jeremy Sagala: Tenebrae (2009, world premiere written for NYNME)

--Bruce

greg

Sep.25 the Orlando Phil. is playing the Mahler 2nd.

It'll probably be the only concert I go to this year, but ohhhhhh yeaaaaahhhh. 8)

bhodges

Tonight at the MATA Festival, the Calder Quartet (from Los Angeles) in this interesting program:

Nathan Davis: Skrzyp Skrzyn [2010] (World Premiere)
Fabian Svensson: Singing and Dancing [2008]
Lisa Coons: Cythére (a trauma ballet in two parts) [2010] (World Premiere)
Daniel Wohl: Glitch [2009]

--Bruce

greg

Christo

Heard an absolutely sublime performance of the complete 1997 Kanon Pokajanen by Arvo Pärt last Saturday - by Musica Vocale under Rob Vermeulen (who also conducted Holmboe's Eight Symphony last year, as related here before).

One and a half hour without a break and in perfect concentration. Great experience.  8)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Sef

Gil Shaham and the CSO
Oct 22 1:30 PM
Haydn/ Hartmann/ Barber/ Mozart 
October 22, 2010 Gil Shaham, recognized by audiences and critics alike as one of the most virtuosic and engaging violinists, plays double duty as both conductor and soloist in this program. A recent recipient of the coveted Avery Fisher Award, Shaham offers Hartmann's riveting Concerto funebre, written in protest of the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia. This string-centric concert also features Barber's heartbreaking Adagio for Strings.
Program
Haydn  Violin Concerto No. 4
Hartmann  Concerto funebre for Solo Violin and String Orchestra
Barber  Adagio for Strings
Mozart  Violin Concerto No. 5 (Turkish)

Hmmmmm - can I sit through Mozart and Haydn violin concertos in order to hear one of my favorites - and I'm not talking about the Barber!
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

listener

coming this weekend
Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
Kazuyoshi Akiyama conductor
Nicola Benedetti Violin

Oesterle   Perennials
Szymanowski Violin Concerto No. 1
Bruckner Symphony No. 4, Romantic

having second thoughts about the June 7 program: Strauss' Alpine Symphony is off, replaced by Tchaikowsky #6.   Shostakovich vn cto 1 is still on.   Possibly a cost cutting move, no extra players required or hire fees for the music.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).