What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Okay - Dundonnell, Sarge, Brian, Vandermolen, me, who else? Luke! Mirror Image, Hattoff... We're getting to the 12 Brianites Sarge predicted.  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2010, 10:13:42 AM
Christo?

Of course! I 'tweeted' the big news. As he's active on Twitter, he should see it. And otherwise I'll mail him or ring him up!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jezetha on December 19, 2010, 10:15:56 AM

Of course! I 'tweeted' the big news. As he's active on Twitter, he should see it. And otherwise I'll mail him or ring him up!

I can't believe he'd miss it...if he were able to attend. He wrote this about the Gothic:

Quote from: Christo on June 09, 2007, 10:19:35 PM
Well, then. Here is yet another voice that feels urged to declare solemnly:
1. That in his opinion Brian's Gothic outshines Mahler's Thousand in all respects mentioned already, but first and for all musically;
2. That the first free, purely orchestral, movements are all superb, but that the third one, Vivace, stands for nothing less but sheer wizardry: some of the best orchestral music ever written. Oh, please try it again. It's the only musical equivalent I ever encountered of another experience of pure bliss: descending the Swiss-Italian Alps after a long climb (by bike), heading to the south.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2010, 10:18:19 AM
I can't believe he'd miss it...if he were able to attend. He wrote this about the Gothic:

Sarge

He still stands by that, I have no doubt! I just mailed him... Christo just published a book about free speech (in Dutch), so he's rather busy, I think.

Edit: Christo (Johan Snel) just mailed back - he won't be able to make it... He and his family will have just arrived at their holiday home in Tuscany. Pity

Dax

If it's confirmed, I shall be there too. I've heard the Gothic before in the Albert Hall and it's one of the few pieces of music which is well served by that otherwise fairly horrendous venue.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dax on December 20, 2010, 04:56:36 AM
If it's confirmed, I shall be there too. I've heard the Gothic before in the Albert Hall and it's one of the few pieces of music which is well served by that otherwise fairly horrendous venue.
When were you there? 1966 or 1980? And 'horrendous venue' - you might be right. I suddenly remember a piece by Jessica Duchen about her gruelling experiences at the RAH during the (hot) summer... Oh well. I'm no stranger to suffering for Art... 

Dax

1980. Hadn't realised it was that long ago before checking up.

The Albert Hall was pretty suitable for Langgaard's Sfaerernes Musik - one of last summer's proms great pleasures.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dax on December 20, 2010, 06:06:58 PM
1980. Hadn't realised it was that long ago before checking up.

The Albert Hall was pretty suitable for Langgaard's Sfaerernes Musik - one of last summer's proms great pleasures.

With Dausgaard. Yes, I heard that on the radio. Incredible piece.

Sid

On Sunday, went to see this concert at Sydney Town Hall:

Handel's Messiah
presented by The Radio Community Chest

Combined Churches Choir
The Sydney Messiah Orchestra
Tim Chung, conductor
Peter Kneeshaw, organist & assistant conductor
Erika Simons, soprano
Anna Dowsley, contralto
Pascal Herington, tenor
Morgan Pearse, bass

I enjoyed this concert, was looking forward to seeing this work live for the first time ever this year. A friend was to come but he wasn't well. The choir was about 400 strong, and the orchestra was made up of 20 musicians, including a timpanist. There was organ in place of harpsichord. So in other words, this was a pretty large scale presentation of the work.

"For Unto Us A Child Is Born" was a thrill to hear. All of those dotted rhythms and counterpoint done beautifully. I was very moved by the work of all of the soloists involved, they are young singers at the start of their careers, and they did a great job.

I noticed that during the "Hallelujah" Chorus all of the audience stood, and the soloists also sung along with the chorus to this. Is this a tradition? The performance was very well received, there was a standing ovation at the end which went on for a long time. It seemed like the audience didn't want to leave. I really enjoyed it & I look forward to going again next year...

Opus106

[Not that I'm particularly looking forward to it, but I didn't want to start a thread for this either.]

This New Year's Eve Beethoven Cycle in Tokyo 2010 will be held in Ueno district in Japan. Maestro Lorin Maazel and the Hiroyuki Iwaki Orchestra will perform live all Beethoven Symphonies at Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, located at Ueno district in Tokyo. There are few tickets still available.

For those who cannot attend the concert at Ueno, there are many other ways to enjoy the concert in realtime in the New Year's Eve, even if you are not in Japan. 

http://a4a.wide.ad.jp/en/index.html
Regards,
Navneeth

stingo

January 8th

DEBUSSY Nocturnes
MOZART Requiem
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Yannick Nézet-Séguin - Conductor
Lucy Crowe - Soprano
Birgit Remmert - Mezzo-soprano
James Taylor - Tenor
Andrew Foster-Williams - Bass-baritone
The Philadelphia Singers Chorale

:)

bhodges

Tonight at the Met, thanks to a friend who called with an extra ticket!

Puccini: La Fanciulla del West, with Deborah Voigt

Don't know the piece at all, but for one friend, it's his favorite Puccini opera.

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: bhodges on January 03, 2011, 09:26:59 AM
Tonight at the Met, thanks to a friend who called with an extra ticket!

Puccini: La Fanciulla del West, with Deborah Voigt

Don't know the piece at all, but for one friend, it's his favorite Puccini opera.

--Bruce

Might go see that on the 8th (at the movie theatre).

bhodges

Do report, if so!  It's supposed to be excellent, with Voigt in "Annie Get Your Gun-mode."  ;D

EDIT:  Just found out Voigt isn't singing tonight...it's Elisabete Matos.  Oh well...

--Bruce

bhodges

Tonight at (Le) Poisson Rouge, pianist Gloria Cheng and the Calder Quartet at in this great program.  I've heard the last two pieces, but none of the others.

Boulez: Une page d'éphéméride (New York premiere)
Vivier: Pianoforte (New York premiere)
Godfrey: Night Walk (New York premiere)
Adès: Mazurkas, Op. 27
Saariaho: Ballade and Prelude
Messiaen: Selections from Eight Préludes
Stravinsky: Three Pieces for String Quartet
Adès: Piano Quintet

--Bruce

karlhenning

A Boulez première! Who'd a thunk it! ; )

Thread duty:

Friday we get to enjoy both Stravinsky's Œdipus Rex and a concert performance of Bartók's A kékszakállú herceg vára . . . first live Stravinsky & Bartók of the year! (for us, I mean . . . .)

bhodges

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 05, 2011, 08:47:01 AM
Friday we get to enjoy both Stravinsky's Œdipus Rex and a concert performance of Bartók's A kékszakállú herceg vára . . . first live Stravinsky & Bartók of the year! (for us, I mean . . . .)[/font]

Karl, that looks sensational--great singers for both.  I've heard Michelle DeYoung in a number of things lately, including the Bartók last year.  She's marvelous (and like, 13 feet tall  ;D).

--Bruce