What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Brewski on September 21, 2011, 06:24:08 AM
That Nordgren looks especially interesting - please report back if you like.

--Bruce

Well the Nordgren was not my thing exactly- cluster tones mixed with the occasional Finnish folk music tune.
But the orchestra played magnificently, best string playing I've heard from them, probably a lot of it was Kangas's, a guest conductor from Ostrobothnian Chamber Orchestra, which he founded in 1972, and one of the most appreciated conductors in Finland. I wasn't familiar with Schubert's 5th - an excellent symphony in the mold of late Mozart - or the Mozart duo piano concerto, which was pure entertainment, and not bad that. The pianist-brothers played very well, and even the new cadenzas by some modern Spanish composer (I can't recall the name) were acceptable.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Next Thursday:

Ari Rasilainen & Oulu symphony orchestra
Lasse Joamets, violin (new concertmaster, to join duties with Ismo Sirén)

Tšaikovski (in Finnish it's that transliteration for Pete): Violin Concerto
Kurt Atterberg: Symphony No. 3

Ari Rasilainen has apparently recorded Atterberg's complete (9) symphonies for CPO with four different German orchestras - available on Amazon, with 13 reviews, all 5-star ones. Available for £30 on the UK site.
[asin]B0007ACVDW[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Quote from: North Star on September 25, 2011, 01:33:07 PM
Next Thursday:

Ari Rasilainen has apparently recorded Atterberg's complete (9) symphonies for CPO with four different German orchestras - available on Amazon, with 13 reviews, all 5-star ones. Available for £30 on the UK site.

WHAT. WHAT. WHAAAAAAAAAAT.

If I was anywhere within 1,500 miles of Oulu I would fly to see this. I've successfully ticked two things off my list of Three Things I Will Never See Live*, and the third thing is Atterberg's Third Symphony.

*Smetana's complete Ma Vlast and Janacek's restored Glagolitic Mass, at the BBC Proms 2011

bhodges

Quote from: MDL on September 24, 2011, 03:20:04 AM
Going to see Weinberg's The Passenger at the ENO tonight. Not sure what to expect; the reviews have been pretty mixed.

http://www.eno.org/see-whats-on/productions/production-page.php?&itemid=1657

Just found out that a friend is screening the new DVD of this opera at the end of October - as a Weinberg fan, I'm very much looking forward to seeing this.

Quote from: North Star on September 25, 2011, 01:21:11 PM
Well the Nordgren was not my thing exactly- cluster tones mixed with the occasional Finnish folk music tune.
But the orchestra played magnificently, best string playing I've heard from them, probably a lot of it was Kangas's, a guest conductor from Ostrobothnian Chamber Orchestra, which he founded in 1972, and one of the most appreciated conductors in Finland. I wasn't familiar with Schubert's 5th - an excellent symphony in the mold of late Mozart - or the Mozart duo piano concerto, which was pure entertainment, and not bad that. The pianist-brothers played very well, and even the new cadenzas by some modern Spanish composer (I can't recall the name) were acceptable.

Thanks for the comments!

--Bruce

North Star

Quote from: Brian on September 26, 2011, 08:33:40 AM
WHAT. WHAT. WHAAAAAAAAAAT.

If I was anywhere within 1,500 miles of Oulu I would fly to see this. I've successfully ticked two things off my list of Three Things I Will Never See Live*, and the third thing is Atterberg's Third Symphony.

*Smetana's complete Ma Vlast and Janacek's restored Glagolitic Mass, at the BBC Proms 2011

:P

Truth be told, I can't say I'm familiar with Atterberg, but from brief Youtube sampling I believe I'm going to like his music very much. I'm sorry you can't come (I'm positive there are plenty of tickets left, people only come to concerts here when there are really big soloists, of course on our very humble standards, Natalia Gutman, Frans Helmerson, Corey Cerovsek, Paavali Jumppanen, Bernd Glemser (coming this season), Sarah Chang, Elina Vähälä, and Jaakko Kuusisto are perhaps the most famous soloists to have played here in the last couple of years).

My photographs on Flickr

MishaK

Stuck in Minneapolis for work for the next two weeks. Hoping to hear this if I can get out on Oct 6:

Minnesota Orchestra
Osmo Vänskä, conductor
Simone Dinnerstein, piano

Milhaud La Création du monde
Ravel Piano Concerto in G major
Strauss Ein Heldenleben

When I get back home, this will be the first thing for which I have tickets:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Bernard Haitink, conductor
Frank Peter Zimmermann, violin
Klara Ek, soprano

Berg  Violin Concerto
Mahler  Symphony No. 4

Later, this:

Vienna Symphony Orchestra
Erika Nickrenz, piano
Susie Park, violin
Sara Sant'Ambrogio, cello
Fabio Luisi, conductor

Beethoven – Triple Concerto: Concerto for Violin, Cello, and Piano in C major, Op. 56
Brahms – Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 73

Drasko

Quote from: MishaK on September 26, 2011, 02:35:09 PM
Later, this:

Erika Nickrenz, piano
Susie Park, violin
Fabio Luisi, conductor

Beethoven – Triple Concerto: Concerto for Violin, Cello, and Piano in C major, Op. 56

Sure that is going to happpen? Hasn't Luisi cancelled a bunch of VSO and Rome Opera appearances so he could take over MET productions when Levine again fell ill. Ther was big fuss about it. Rome Opera wasn't happy at all, threatening with lawsuits. VSO weren't too thrilled either.

MishaK

Quote from: Drasko on September 26, 2011, 02:43:05 PM
Sure that is going to happpen? Hasn't Luisi cancelled a bunch of VSO and Rome Opera appearances so he could take over MET productions when Levine again fell ill. Ther was big fuss about it. Rome Opera wasn't happy at all, threatening with lawsuits. VSO weren't too thrilled either.

As far as I am aware, he made sure that the VSO US tour is still on. The program still shows unchanged on the Harris Theater website.

Drasko

Quote from: MishaK on September 26, 2011, 02:44:42 PM
As far as I am aware, he made sure that the VSO US tour is still on. The program still shows unchanged on the Harris Theater website.

Yes, the VSO site has the same info. He cancelled for October concerts in Vienna, not American tour in November.

Coco

The English Concert Friday, October 14, 2011, 7:30 – 9:30pm
University of Chicago

Purcell: Suite from King Arthur
Vivaldi: Sonata in D minor, op. 1, no. 12, RV 63, "La Follia"
Telemann: Tafelmusik II
Vivaldi: Concerto for Two Trumpets in C major, RV 537
Telemann: Concerto for Viola & Strings
Purcell: Suite from Fairy Queen

http://chicagopresents.uchicago.edu/concert-schedule/20102011-season/season-calendar/calendar/#/?i=3

Coco

Klara Ek, soprano

Berg  Violin Concerto
Mahler  Symphony No. 4

I'm going to try to make it to this too. :)

Opus106

A symphony at last!

Deutsche Philharmonie Merck
CONCERT
04.10.2011, 7.00 p.m.
Music Academy, TTK Road, Chennai
Programme:

* Ludwig van Beethoven - Leonore Ouverture no 3
    * Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Concerto for flute and orchestra no 2 in D major
    * Johannes Brahms -Symphony no 3 in F major

Regards,
Navneeth

madaboutmahler

Stuck in Minneapolis for work for the next two weeks. Hoping to hear this if I can get out on Oct 6:

Minnesota Orchestra
Osmo Vänskä, conductor
Simone Dinnerstein, piano

Milhaud La Création du monde
Ravel Piano Concerto in G major
Strauss Ein Heldenleben

When I get back home, this will be the first thing for which I have tickets:

Klara Ek, soprano

Berg  Violin Concerto
Mahler  Symphony No. 4

Later, this:

Erika Nickrenz, piano
Susie Park, violin
Fabio Luisi, conductor

I am very very jealous! What excellent concerts!

Seeing Mahler 9 this Saturday at the Southbank, London. Philharmonia/Maazel. Very excited!

Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 27, 2011, 08:32:44 AM

Seeing Mahler 9 this Saturday at the Southbank, London. Philharmonia/Maazel. Very excited!

Daniel

Hahaha, it's not right you're seeing so many Mahler's concerts!!  ;) I have to wait for the next year before seeing them too......

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 27, 2011, 08:44:55 AM
Hahaha, it's not right you're seeing so many Mahler's concerts!!  ;) I have to wait for the next year before seeing them too......

Ilaria

hehe ;)

After the concert this Saturday, I won't be seeing another Mahler concert until next May :(

;) A few before May though, so I'll be looking forward to them as well!  ;D

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

North Star

Quote from: North Star on September 25, 2011, 01:33:07 PM
Next Thursday:

Great playing by the orchestra again, absolutely superb, if they keep up the good work, the orchestra will be among the best in Finland. Joamets played wonderfully, and although his violin is far from being great, he made it sound as good as it ever could sound. The Atterberg was excellent stuff, the sound world was very much in the vein of the late romantics, with even Debussian elements. That Rasilainen's CPO box is certainly tempting.

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 27, 2011, 08:32:44 AM

Daniel

Quoting myself! :)

The concert yesterday was amazing. Mahler 9 is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard... I was so emotional during and after the concert! The Philharmonia were absolutely amazing, playing with much passion and beauty! I really underestimated the number of tissues I should have brought to the concert...

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

bhodges

Tonight:

Talea Ensemble
Mannes Concert Hall

Aperghis: Triangle Carré (1989)
Boulez: Le Marteau sans maître (1955)

--Bruce

Coco

Quote from: Brewski on October 04, 2011, 07:00:32 AM
Tonight:

Talea Ensemble
Mannes Concert Hall

Aperghis: Triangle Carré (1989)
Boulez: Le Marteau sans maître (1955)

--Bruce

Jealous! ICE are doing some Aperghis early next year and I want to try and make it.

bhodges

Quote from: Coco on October 04, 2011, 07:50:51 AM
Jealous! ICE are doing some Aperghis early next year and I want to try and make it.

I wonder if the ICE concert is the same one they're doing here (at Miller Theatre) in May - and it looks like Aperghis will be on the premises, too!

Tony Arnold, soprano
Ludovic Morlot, conductor
Georges Aperghis, composer
International Contemporary Ensemble

A Shot in the Dark (2011, world premiere)
The Iliad and the Odyssey (2009)
Teeter-Totter (2008)
Simulacre II (1994)
Signaux (1978)

--Bruce