What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Wrong thread :-[.

I'm looking backward to a beautiful concert without even any organ involved. :P

The Hagen Quartett played Haydn, Mozart and Brahms.
And, as an encore, Bartók's Allegro pizzicato (from Quartet no. 4).

It was great!

I'm gonna have a good night sleep. :)

Lisz

In NYC

Angels & Demons

From Heaven to Hell and Back Again

Robert Isaacs, Conductor

Come on a musical journey from damnation to salvation through the music of Lassus, Palestrina, Praetorius, Aichinger, Victoria, Byrd, Caplet, Montoya, Barber and more.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm
St. Ignatius of Antioch
West 87th Street between West End Avenue and Broadway

....delicate balance of just eight incredibly beautiful voices..... feel welcome to stop by if you're around....

http://www.amusesingers.org/mp3s_listen/UnaHora.mp3

listener

The IVES thread seems to be 3 years old, but if I could get to New York  I'd try for this ...

Detroit, (Jan. 23, 2012) – The Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO) is thrilled to announce it will perform at Carnegie Hall for the first time in 17 years. The DSO is one of six orchestras that will participate in the third annual Spring For Music festival. On May 10, 2013, the DSO will perform all four Charles Ives Symphonies in one extraordinary three-hour program, becoming the first orchestra to do so for New York audiences.

Spring For Music is a six-day festival that features six major American orchestras, all selected based on the imaginative nature of their proposed programming and how it aligns with the philosophy of each orchestra. The affordable, general admission ticket price, just $25, is designed to make adventurous repertoire available to anyone and everyone. In 2013, the DSO will perform along with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Albany Symphony Orchestra, Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, Oregon Symphony and the National Symphony Orchestra.

Music Director Leonard Slatkin chose an immersion into Ives in pursuit of showcasing the strength, sound, ensemble and style that is uniquely Detroit. Long known for celebrating American repertoire through recordings and commissions, telling Ives' biographical story through the consecutive performances of all his symphonic works serves as a tribute to both Slatkin's affinity for American compositions and Detroit's longtime acquaintance with the American school. Slatkin, who considers Ives to be one of America's most progressive composers of his time, imagined the four-symphony program as a way to acquaint the audience with his style.

"For our first trip together to New York, the DSO and I are proud to present a landmark musical event," said DSO Music Director Leonard Slatkin. "To our knowledge this is the first integral performance of the four symphonies by Charles Ives anywhere.  The opportunity to participate in Spring For Music made it possible not only to perform at Carnegie hall, but also to make a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience for our own audiences in Detroit."

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

nesf

La Traviata is being run in March in the Opera house here, currently trying to convince my wife to join me at it. There's also some Beethoven recital happening at some point soon which I need to find out some more information about!
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

madaboutmahler

This evening:

Glinka Russlan and Ludmilla overture
Shostakovich Piano concerto no.2 in F
Sibelius Symphony no.2 in D

Misbourne Symphony Orchestra/Richard Jacklin

The first time I will have seen the conductor and orchestra since they premiered my piece last November, so am really looking forward to seeing them all again as I made many friends in the orchestra! The orchestra only gives four concerts a season, so each one of them is a wonderful event. None will be as special as the one last November for me though... remains the greatest day of my life so far! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 28, 2012, 08:56:15 AM
This evening:

Glinka Russlan and Ludmilla overture
Shostakovich Piano concerto no.2 in F
Sibelius Symphony no.2 in D

Misbourne Symphony Orchestra/Richard Jacklin

Oh, I'm a little jealous; what a nice programme, enjoy the concert! :)
Who is the pianist in Shostakovich's PC?
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 28, 2012, 08:59:44 AM
Oh, I'm a little jealous; what a nice programme, enjoy the concert! :)
Who is the pianist in Shostakovich's PC?

:) Thank you, Ilaria!

The pianist is Viv McLean. He is a very good pianist, he performed the Chopin 2nd concert with the orchestra a few years ago. I remember seeing it. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 28, 2012, 09:20:43 AM
:) Thank you, Ilaria!

The pianist is Viv McLean. He is a very good pianist, he performed the Chopin 2nd concert with the orchestra a few years ago. I remember seeing it. :)

Sounds excellent :)
At this time I suppose the concert must have already finished, hope it went well!
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

listener

3 weeks to budget for
BEETHOVEN   Piano Concerto 4    (John Lill)
ELGAR  Symphony no. 2
Vancouver SO.  / Bramwell Tovey
*(rush sets at $20. are not that bad a price, and in the area with best sound, but have to be careful)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 28, 2012, 01:41:25 PM
Sounds excellent :)
At this time I suppose the concert must have already finished, hope it went well!

It was a wonderful concert, Ilaria! Thank you! It was so great to see everyone again. I was even recognized by some of the audience members and then referred to as 'the amazing composer'. Made me so happy to hear that!
The next concert they are doing is an all Beethoven concert: the Egmont Overture, Violin Concerto and 6th symphony. Am looking forward to it!

Next time you come to England, or the next time I go to Italy, we must meet! :D

Quote from: listener on January 28, 2012, 06:18:55 PM
3 weeks to budget for
BEETHOVEN   Piano Concerto 4    (John Lill)
ELGAR  Symphony no. 2
Vancouver SO.  / Bramwell Tovey
*(rush sets at $20. are not that bad a price, and in the area with best sound, but have to be careful)

Sounds like a great concert! Enjoy! Elgar's 2nd symphony remains one of my favourite pieces of all time! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 29, 2012, 03:49:13 AM
It was a wonderful concert, Ilaria! Thank you! It was so great to see everyone again. I was even recognized by some of the audience members and then referred to as 'the amazing composer'. Made me so happy to hear that!
The next concert they are doing is an all Beethoven concert: the Egmont Overture, Violin Concerto and 6th symphony. Am looking forward to it!

Next time you come to England, or the next time I go to Italy, we must meet! :D

Glad to hear the concert went well, my congratulations to the orchestra, the pianist and the conductor!
Did really some people say that about you? Haha, it's wonderful, those words must have made you feel so honoured; but as a matter of fact you're a very talented composer ;)
Next concert's programme sounds amazing as well, Beethoven is one of my absolute favourite composers, only beaten by Wagner.

Certainly, it would be great if we met, I hope this will happen soon! ;D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 29, 2012, 04:49:50 AM
Glad to hear the concert went well, my congratulations to the orchestra, the pianist and the conductor!
Did really some people say that about you? Haha, it's wonderful, those words must have made you feel so honoured; but as a matter of fact you're a very talented composer ;)
Next concert's programme sounds amazing as well, Beethoven is one of my absolute favourite composers, only beaten by Mahler and Wagner.

Certainly, it would be great if we met, I hope this will happen soon! ;D

They did! And yes, it made me feel very happy! :) Thank you, Ilaria!

Made a slight correction for you as well ;)

Certainly! I hope it will happen soon as well! :) Have you had the time to get Skype yet? :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 29, 2012, 04:58:20 AM
They did! And yes, it made me feel very happy! :) Thank you, Ilaria!

Made a slight correction for you as well ;)

Certainly! I hope it will happen soon as well! :) Have you had the time to get Skype yet? :)

;D

I knew you would make that correction ;) That's rather true though, only Wagner, Beethoven and Liszt come before Mahler for me.

Yes, I got Skype some days ago; I'm afraid I don't think I'll have enough time to use it during the following two weeks since I have the exams of the end of semester.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 29, 2012, 05:18:17 AM
;D

I knew you would make that correction ;) That's rather true though, only Mahler comes before Wagner, Beethoven and Liszt for me.

Yes, I got Skype some days ago; I'm afraid I don't think I'll have enough time to use it during the following two weeks since I have the exams of the end of semester.

;)

That's great - when you get time to go on it, let me know! :) Best of luck for your exams, Ilaria! As you know, my exams finished around 2 weeks ago. I should be getting the results in just over a month. I have more exams in a few months though... but this time, subjects I enjoy, such as the languages and History! :D Again, best of luck!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

MishaK

Thursday next week:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Riccardo Muti

Schubert Entr'acte No.3 Rosamunde
Clyne New Work (CSO Commision)
Schubert Symphony No.9 in C "Great"

Lisztianwagner

QuoteThat's rather true though, only Mahler comes before Wagner, Beethoven and Liszt for me.

Very funny ;D

cjvinthechair

Lovely Bruckner concert at London's Royal Festival Hall on Feb. 4th - 9th Symphony and Te Deum; magic !      Anyone else going ?      Clive.
Clive.

Papy Oli

Brochure for the Aldeburgh Festival in June - bookings opening in March.

http://asp-gb.secure-zone.net/v2/indexPop.jsp?id=699/865/4273&lng=en

already considering easily about 8 or 9 concerts in that fortnight (the various Piano recitals, Herreweghe/Gesualdo, Savall/Hesperion XXI, Aimard/Goerne - again!! they were superb last year.., Monteverdi choir/Gardiner; Brendel Lecture on Liszt...)... I don't know anything about Bartok / Ives / Knussen / Carter / Ligeti so I think i will explore them before March to see how it goes....   
Olivier

nesf

La Traviata booked. :) (Ellen Kent Opera if that means anything to people)

Also drooling a bit about over this but it's waaaay off: http://www.westcorkmusic.ie/west-cork-chamber-music-festival-2011/west-cork-chamber-music-festival-2012.651.html
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.