What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

First comes this Friday Belgrade Philharmonic in Benjamin Yusupov's Concerto for various flutes and Scriabin's 2nd Symphony, then next Friday Zagreb Philharmonic in Bruch Scottish Fantasy and Brahms' 4th.

But what am I really looking forward to is in three weeks. Les Arts Florissants under Christie in all Marc-Antoine Charpentier concert - two oratorios: Caecilia and Prodigal Son, and one or two Grand Motets.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidRoss on September 24, 2012, 07:09:30 AM
Yep. Looks like a fine program (even though mostly too lyrical to be "avant garde" and "edgy"). I heard Runnicles several times when he led the San Francisco Opera  and always enjoyed the performances. (including a particularly memorable Rake's Progress, more suited to your predispositions than Mozart, I'd wager)

I love lyrically beautiful music. I expect choral music to be beautiful and uplifting. Opera I expect to be edgy in some way. Just personal preferences I'm stating here. I would love to see The Rake's Progress. What a great work.

Drasko

Quote from: Drasko on September 24, 2012, 08:46:53 AM
First comes this Friday Belgrade Philharmonic in Benjamin Yusupov's Concerto for various flutes and Scriabin's 2nd Symphony

Scriabin's 2nd Symphony was sheer voluptuous delight, especially with orchestra in very fine form.

But what caught me slightly off guard was Benjamin Yusupov piece - Nola concerto for various flutes and strings. I had no idea what you can do with amplified contrabass flute, like creating a loop on the spot and then use it as rhythm section. Talk about extended technique. Video of the second movement of Nola from Friday's concert has been already posted on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/v/iTnxcdxkcdE
Matthias Ziegler - flute, bass flute and contrabass flute (latter two amplified)
Belgrade Philharmonic strings
Aleksandar Markovic - conducting

cjvinthechair

Lovely day at Symphony Hall Birmingham tomorrow(Oct. 2nd) - CBSO afternoon:
Nicholas Collon conductor
Francesco Piemontesi piano

Berlioz    Beatrice and Benedict Overture   
8'
Mozart    Piano Concerto No 20 K466   
30'
Dvorák    Symphony No 9 (From the New World)   
........& in the evening:
The St Petersburg Symphony Orchestra
Brass players of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Alexander Dmitriev conductor
Peter Donohoe piano

Rachmaninov    Piano Concerto No 3 in D minor   
39'
Shostakovich    Symphony No 7, Leningrad   
69'

Anyone going ?       Would be happy to meet for a drink/bite !

Clive.

bhodges

Starting Wednesday, three nights with Riccardo Muti and Chicago Symphony Orchestra:

Orff: Carmina Burana

Wagner: Overture to The Flying Dutchman
Mason Bates: Alternative Energy (NY Premiere)
Franck: Symphony in D Minor

Dvořák: Symphony No. 5
Martucci: Notturno
Respighi: Feste romane

--Bruce

Todd

Got my tickets to hear Paul Lewis play Schubert's last three sonatas on the 22nd.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

petrarch

Looking forward to two concerts in about 4-5 weeks:

Oct 30 (NYC): Stockhausen's Cosmic Pulses, Himmels-Tür, Freitags-Gruss and Freitags-Abschied.
http://www.whitelightfestival.org/cosmic-pulses

Nov 2 (Boston): Musical Europe: The Golden Age of Consort Viol Music (1500–1700), Jordi Savall/Hespèrion XXI.
http://www.bemf.org/pages/concerts/12-13_boston/hesperion.htm
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Lisztianwagner

This evening, on BR-Klassik:

Joseph Haydn Symphony No.89
Maurice Ravel Shéhérazade
John Adams The chairman dance

Simon Rattle
Berliner Philharmoniker/City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Mezzosoprano: Magdalena Kožená

http://www.br.de/radio/br-klassik/programmkalender/sendung412582.html
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 05, 2012, 05:03:47 AM
This evening, on BR-Klassik:

Joseph Haydn Symphony No.89
Maurice Ravel Shéhérazade
John Adams The chairman dance

Simon Rattle
Berliner Philharmoniker/City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Mezzosoprano: Magdalena Kožená

http://www.br.de/radio/br-klassik/programmkalender/sendung412582.html

This looks like an interesting concert, Ilaria. Haydn, Ravel, and Adams on the same program. Pretty cool. 8) That Adams work is fun romp (I seem to be using this phrase a lot lately :-\) and, of course, the Ravel is a gorgeous song-cycle. The Haydn will be good too I'm sure. I actually enjoy Haydn a good bit. He's my favorite Classical Era composer.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 05, 2012, 07:54:20 AM
This looks like an interesting concert, Ilaria. Haydn, Ravel, and Adams on the same program. Pretty cool. 8) That Adams work is fun romp (I seem to be using this phrase a lot lately :-\) and, of course, the Ravel is a gorgeous song-cycle. The Haydn will be good too I'm sure. I actually enjoy Haydn a good bit. He's my favorite Classical Era composer.

It certainly is, Ravel is one of my absolute favourite composers, and I enjoy both Haydn and Adams very much; I'm keen to listen to this concert! I've already listened to an excerpt of the Rattle/BPO Shéhérazade and it was definitely thrilling!

It has started....
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

bhodges

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on October 08, 2012, 03:58:49 AM
October 29 at the Assembly Hall Tunbridge Wells, English Touring Opera's production of:

Viktor Ullmann The Emperor of Atlantis, prefaced by a "staged" performance of Bach's cantata Christ lag in Totesbanden

Saw this at Covent Garden last Friday and was blown away by it, came home and immediately booked a repeat viewing.

I may see the Ullmann here next month; a small opera company is doing three performances of it.

And your Vienna line-up is most impressive!

On Thursday:

Ensemble Signal
Brad Lubman, conductor

Jonathan Harvey: Death of Light/Light of Death (1998)
Jonathan Harvey: Bhakti (1982)

--Bruce

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on October 08, 2012, 04:14:40 AM
Meanwhile I have put together a brief pre-Christmas trip to Vienna, taking in:

Shostakovich Symphony No.6
Weinberg Symphony No.6
Wiener Symphoniker
conductor Vladimir Fedoseyev

Bruckner Mass in D minor
Weber In die solemnitatis
Mendelssohn Allegretto un poco agitato from Lobegesang
Haydn Die Himmel erzählen die Ehre Gottes from The Creation
Chor & Orchester von St. Augustin
conductor Robert Rieder

Rachmaninov The Isle of the Dead
Rachmaninov Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Beethoven Symphony No.5
Wiener Symphoniker
conductor Gianandrea Noseda
piano Khatia Buniatishvili

Brahms Piano Concerto No.2
Shostakovich Symphony No.10
St Petersburg Philharmonic
conductor Yuri Temirkanov
piano Nelson Friere

:D

In Vienna? :o Wonderful, what very beautiful programmes! :)

bhodges

Quote from: petrarch on October 08, 2012, 09:25:05 AM
Essential Harvey! (jealous)

Great, glad to hear! (Don't know the piece at all.) C'mon down; my guess is they still have tickets...  :D

--Bruce

petrarch

Quote from: Brewski on October 08, 2012, 09:30:10 AM
Great, glad to hear! (Don't know the piece at all.) C'mon down; my guess is they still have tickets...  :D

I would definitely go if I could fit some additional motives for the trip...

Bhakti is essential Harvey, but it is not a piece I turn to that often, although I would still very much like to experience it in concert--there are some extraordinary moments in the piece, especially in the second half, starting with movement VII, a very ritualistic and contemplative section for chimes and bell sounds, which should be positively shimmering live; or the spectral 'deconstructions' of movement IX that remind me of certain passages in Hymnen... If only the composer was more italian than british, then perhaps I would be in the mood for his 'touch' more often ;).
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

North Star

Tomorrow:

Mahler - Das Lied von der Erde

Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu Symphony
Monica Groop, mezzo
Daniel Johansson, tenor
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: North Star on October 10, 2012, 08:35:50 AM
Tomorrow:

Mahler - Das Lied von der Erde

Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu Symphony
Monica Groop, mezzo
Daniel Johansson, tenor

Groop sang exquisitely. Johansson's voice lacked power, but otherwise good. He was a last-minute replacement, anyway. Helsing's conducting was good too. The couple of seasons she's been the principal conductor here are without doubt the best the orchestra has ever had. Johannes Gustavsson, who will replace Helsing next season, has conducted the orchestra some times as a guest, and those concerts have been perhaps even better, though.
It was sad to see so many empty seats.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

petrarch

Quote from: Brewski on October 08, 2012, 09:06:33 AM
On Thursday:

Ensemble Signal
Brad Lubman, conductor

Jonathan Harvey: Death of Light/Light of Death (1998)
Jonathan Harvey: Bhakti (1982)

So, how was it?
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

bhodges

Quote from: petrarch on October 13, 2012, 05:06:25 AM
So, how was it?

Both were excellent, Bhakti shone as something special, though. Still a bit overwhelmed by it. Will be putting further thoughts in a full review, so I'll try to remember to send you the link.

--Bruce

SonicMan46

Sunday afternoon performance of our local Winston-Salem Symphony w/ the associate director conducting - highlight was the guest pianist, Antonio Pompa-Baldi - his playing of Mendelssohn was superb and his encore (Debussy Prelude) delightful - I was unaware that he had put out 11 volumes of Grieg's Piano Music on the Centaur label (an example below)!  I left a post in the Grieg thread for those interested on providing some comments - Dave :)