What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Tomorrow, on BBC Radio 3:

Richard Wagner
Das Rheingold

Woglinde: Nadine Livingston (Soprano)
Wellgunde: Kai Ruutel (Mezzo-Soprano)
Flosshilde: Harriet Williams (Mezzo-Soprano)
Alberich: Wolfgang Koch (Baritone)
Wotan: Bryn Terfel (Bass-Baritone)
Fricka: Sarah Connolly (Mezzo-Soprano)
Freia: Ann Petersen (Soprano)
Fasolt: Iain Paterson (Bass)
Fafner: Eric Halfvarson (Bass)
Froh: Andrew Rees (Tenor)
Donner: Peter Coleman-Wright (Baritone)
Loge: Stig Andersen (Tenor)
Mime: Gerhard Siegel (Tenor)
Erda: Maria Radner (Contralto)

Orchestra of The Royal Opera House
Conductor: Antonio Pappano

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nb1c6

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Concord

The Philadelphia Singers will present a program of Amiercan choral music in Paoli and Philadelphia the weekend of Oct. 27. Highlight for me will be Carter's two Dickinson settings from the 1930s and '40s. Read my interview with choral director David Hayes.

In another (for me) exciting development, the Southeastern Pennsylvania Symphony Orchestra will present an American program Nov. 17, which I will also write about in due course. The concert will include Barber's Adagio for Strings, which is a bit of a snooze at this point, but the other works on tap more than make up for it: Barber's Knoxville, Copland's Clarinet Concerto, and Ives's little Third Symphony. 

stingo

Starting off my concert season with a bang...

VERDI Requiem

Yannick Nézet-Séguin - Conductor
Marina Poplavskaya - Soprano
Christine Rice - Mezzo-soprano
Rolando Villazón - Tenor
Mikhail Petrenko - Bass
The Westminster Symphonic Choir - Mixed chorus
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Verizon Hall

madaboutmahler

Very much looking forward to being in this one tommorow (percussion) :
Rachmaninov: Isle of the Dead + Piano Concerto no.3
Viv Mclean, piano. Misbourne Symphony Orchestra/Richard Jacklin.

The concert starts off with some renaissance brass ensemble pieces, one of which I'm playing the tabor in, which should be fun!! :)

Very excited! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

DavidW

The Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players (from NYC) performed here in little old Hartsville, and they performed some lesser known works and then finished with a great one.

Beethoven's Piano Quartet in C, WoO 36 No. 3
This piece was introduced by talking about thematic material that Beethoven shared between this and one or two other works.  Forgot which ones though.

Spohr's Two German Songs, Op. 103
This one is scored for clarinet, piano and voice.  The introduction was a description of what the songs are about.

Hummel's Clarinet Quartet in Eb
This one is a marvelous piece that I've never heard before.  The introduction was about how criminally neglected Hummel is, and the clarinetist Vadim Lando talked in detail about how amazing Hummel really is and how admired he was by Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert and Clementi.  The interesting thing about this piece is that each instrument has its own meter (the meter is not the same).

Dvorak's Piano Quartet No. 2 in Eb, Op. 87
This piece needed no introduction, and they performed this piece like they were possessed by the music.  The violist Matthew Lipman was so warmly engaged, the cellist Andrew Janss was furiously attacking the music, and the violinist Stefani Collins was in tears, her mascara running.  And we, the audience were in awe by the tremendous passion of the music and the playing.  The minutes passed like seconds and we were stunned.  And then a standing ovation!

What an incredible concert! :)

Lisztianwagner

On BR-Klassik:

Pyotr Il'ych Tchaikovsky
Ouverture 1912
Béla Bartók
Tanz Suite
Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.6

Georg Solti
Chicago Symphony Orchestra

http://www.br.de/radio/br-klassik/programmkalender/sendung418442.html
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

bhodges

Quote from: stingo on October 18, 2012, 05:49:39 PM

VERDI Requiem

Rolando Villazón - Tenor
Mikhail Petrenko - Bass
Verizon Hall

Hearing this tomorrow night - very excited, especially since I haven't heard the piece in many years.

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 19, 2012, 02:56:48 PM
Very much looking forward to being in this one tommorow (percussion) :
Rachmaninov: Isle of the Dead + Piano Concerto no.3
Viv Mclean, piano. Misbourne Symphony Orchestra/Richard Jacklin.

The concert starts off with some renaissance brass ensemble pieces, one of which I'm playing the tabor in, which should be fun!! :)

Very excited! :)

Excellent! Have a great time and give us a report.

Quote from: DavidW on October 21, 2012, 02:46:54 PM
The Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players (from NYC) performed here in little old Hartsville, and they performed some lesser known works and then finished with a great one.

[interesting details snipped]

What an incredible concert! :)

They are good, aren't they! I heard them for the first time only recently, within the last 2-3 years, but they have been around for a long time.

Friday and Saturday, two very interesting evenings at Carnegie by "two ASOs":

American Symphony Orchestra
Leon Botstein, conductor
Blair McMillen, Piano
Rebecca Davis, Abbie Furmansky, and Katherine Whyte, Sopranos
Fredrika Brillembourg and Susan Platts, Mezzo-Sopranos
Clay Hilley, Tenor
Tyler Duncan, Baritone
Denis Sedov, Bass
Brooklyn Youth Chorus
The Collegiate Chorale
John Stafford Smith: The Star Spangled Banner (arr. Stokowski)
Ives: Symphony No. 4
Mahler: Symphony No. 8

(Yes, all that on one concert.)

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Robert Spano, conductor
John Holiday, Countertenor
Brett Polegato, Baritone
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus
Norman Mackenzie, Director of Choruses
Copland: Appalachian Spring
Bernstein: Chichester Psalms
Walton: Belshazzar's Feast

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brewski on October 22, 2012, 08:55:40 AM
Excellent! Have a great time and give us a report.

Went really great, thank you! I was on bass drum for both the Rach pieces which was brilliant! The pianist was certainly pretty amazing. Our next concert is Mahler 1, which I am very much looking forward to! :)

Wow! What a great concert! Enjoy! Mahler 8 must be absolutely incredible to see live. I hope to soon! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

Hmm, Jean-Efflam Bavouzet is coming to Dallas in March armed with Liszt's Second Concerto. :)

DavidW

Quote from: Brewski on October 22, 2012, 08:55:40 AM

They are good, aren't they! I heard them for the first time only recently, within the last 2-3 years, but they have been around for a long time.

You bet!  I wondered if you had heard them before Bruce.  Apparently Coker College music department makes an annual trek to NYC and Jersey and stops to hear them play when they go, so this time they got those players to come down here.

bhodges

Quote from: stingo on October 18, 2012, 05:49:39 PM

VERDI Requiem

Rolando Villazón - Tenor
Mikhail Petrenko - Bass
Verizon Hall

Heard this at Carnegie Hall last night, and mostly loved it. Nézet-Séguin clearly loves the piece (did it without a score) and the choral portions were sensational.

--Bruce

stingo

Quote from: Brewski on October 24, 2012, 10:14:13 AM
Heard this at Carnegie Hall last night, and mostly loved it. Nézet-Séguin clearly loves the piece (did it without a score) and the choral portions were sensational.

--Bruce

What didn't you love?

Brian

Quote from: stingo on October 24, 2012, 02:03:47 PM
What didn't you love?
I durst not speak on Bruce's behalf, but the twice I've seen Nézet-Séguin, he's clearly loved those pieces as well (Berlioz fantastique, Franck Symphony, Fauré Requiem) but the kind of love you reserve for something hanging in a museum rather than a living, breathing person. Great playing, not especially alive.

KeithW

Quote from: Brewski on October 24, 2012, 10:14:13 AM

--Bruce

I saw him do the Bruckner in London earlier this year - same form (no score; he gave a nice address before starting, explained how formulation of the evening).  Actually quite moving.

Thread update - and topical here at GMG - last night the NY Phil doing Mahler 1 and a couple of Mozart pieces. Good, but not great IMHO.

bhodges

Quote from: stingo on October 24, 2012, 02:03:47 PM
What didn't you love?

Actually everything was wonderful but some of the soloists. The soprano was very good, and the mezzo and the bass, fine (if not really memorable). But Villazón was not having a good night. It didn't matter: Nézet-Séguin, the orchestra and (especially) the chorus were all in great form. I felt as if I were witnessing the dawn of a new, great age of music-making with the orchestra - especially welcome considering some of the financial uncertainties the group has had in the last few years.

Quote from: Brian on October 24, 2012, 02:05:46 PM
I durst not speak on Bruce's behalf, but the twice I've seen Nézet-Séguin, he's clearly loved those pieces as well (Berlioz fantastique, Franck Symphony, Fauré Requiem) but the kind of love you reserve for something hanging in a museum rather than a living, breathing person. Great playing, not especially alive.

Thanks, interesting observation. (I've only seen him this one time.)

Quote from: KeithW on October 28, 2012, 12:14:14 PM
I saw him do the Bruckner in London earlier this year - same form (no score; he gave a nice address before starting, explained how formulation of the evening).  Actually quite moving.

Thread update - and topical here at GMG - last night the NY Phil doing Mahler 1 and a couple of Mozart pieces. Good, but not great IMHO.

PS, a friend of mine heard that Mahler 1 and Mozart, too - and felt the same way. Said the Mozart was pumped up beyond belief, old-style (as opposed to HIP-influenced).

--Bruce

Lisztianwagner

Next Sunday in Milan, Teatro alla Scala:

Richard Wagner
Siegfried

Siegfried  Lance Ryan
Mime  Peter Bronder
Der Wanderer  Terje Stensvold
Alberich  Johannes Martin Kränzle
Fafner  Alexander Tsymbalyuk
Erda  Anna Larsson
Brünnhilde  Nina Stemme
Stimme des Waldvogels  Rinnat Moriah

Conductor: Daniel Bareboim

I've been waiting for this opera for weeks, really keen to see it!! :D

madaboutmahler

Brilliant, Ilaria! I bet you are very excited! :)

My school music teachers gave me quite a substantial voucher for the Southbank Centre, meaning I can buy tickets for around 3 concerts. I have my eye on quite a few, will post them soon! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

bhodges

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 28, 2012, 12:43:46 PM
Next Sunday in Milan, Teatro alla Scala:

Richard Wagner
Siegfried

Siegfried  Lance Ryan
Mime  Peter Bronder
Der Wanderer  Terje Stensvold
Alberich  Johannes Martin Kränzle
Fafner  Alexander Tsymbalyuk
Erda  Anna Larsson
Brünnhilde  Nina Stemme
Stimme des Waldvogels  Rinnat Moriah

Conductor: Daniel Bareboim

I've been waiting for this opera for weeks, really keen to see it!! :D

This could be really great. I saw Stemme as the lead in Salome with the Cleveland Orchestra here last spring - my first time hearing her, and she is quite a force.

--Bruce