What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obradovic

Anyway, that program should be very interesting and please post something on how it goes.

Last Sat DEC 15 the promising evening with Philharmonia and Maazel went very well... well... almost... The tempi adopted were rather broad but well balanced with huge dynamic range. The polished, compact, plush and massive sound of the excellent orchestra shined through impressively in the old two warhorses. The Tchaikovsky 6th (as worldwide custom, applause ensued the scherzo) sounded brooding and despairing with a very moving rendition of finale. But exactly at the final ppppp chords of the work the outrageous, horrible, freaking incident happened... yes, you guessed right: mobile ringtone! The modern scourge fed only by huge human idiocy seems definitely unbeatable-despite in our case the bilingual announcement minutes before the concert has commenced. The rather slow tempo of the opening movement of the Brahms 2nd entailed the lack of sufficient contrast between the first and second movements as though the second one was appended to the first. Broadly paced was not only the pastorale-scherzo of the 3rd movement but the second subject of the finale although the final peroration was thrilling. An even mannered 1st Hungarian Dance as an encore rounded out a great concert but had it been recorded I doubt whether I would have thought of buying it for anything more than a good memento

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Obradovic on December 18, 2012, 03:41:47 AMAn even mannered 1st Hungarian Dance as an encore rounded out a great concert....

Sounds delicious. I love a mannered Hungarian dance  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on December 19, 2012, 12:15:00 PM

Ionarts at Large: Maazel's Warhorses

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/12/ionarts-at-large-maazels-warhorses.html

A fair review of your nemesis's latest concert  ;) 

"The rest was surprisingly crude..."  I understand...but I've always enjoyed Maazel's crude Le Sacre, on record and live. But then, I'm a crude kind of guy  ;D

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2012, 12:31:27 PM
A fair review of your nemesis's latest concert  ;) 

"The rest was surprisingly crude..."  I understand...but I've always enjoyed Maazel's crude Le Sacre, on record and live. But then, I'm a crude kind of guy  ;D

Sarge

A reliable musician friend of mine went to his Tchaikovsky 6th with the Philharmonia (I skipped that concert since I had too many concerts in London as it was and I wasn't going to suffer through Maazel unnecessarily) -- and he came back enthralled: Best Tchaik 6th he had heard. (The rest was shite, though, apparently.)

One just never knows.

Brian

"Maazel's Warhorses": sounds like a Sarge Photoshop challenge!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on December 19, 2012, 12:41:22 PM

One just never knows.

Exactly. That was the problem with his Cleveland concerts (many of which I heard when I was living in Ohio during the 70s): he ran hot or cold...or rather, inspired or bored.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on December 19, 2012, 12:44:32 PM

;D :D ;D

Too  late now to respond graphically (a Chianti and Grappa with dinner; a few drams of Jura for nightcaps) but I'll think about it tomorrow...when, hopefully, my brain resumes functioning.

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2012, 12:49:31 PM
;D :D ;D

Too  late now to respond graphically (a Chianti and Grappa with dinner; a few drams of Jura for nightcaps) but I'll think about it tomorrow...when, hopefully, my brain resumes functioning.

Sarge
Quote from: Brian on December 19, 2012, 12:44:32 PM
|

In that case, I'll throw down the glove already:

(click to enlarge)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on December 19, 2012, 01:14:16 PM
|

In that case, I'll throw down the glove already:

(click to enlarge)

Excellent!  :D  I doubt I can top that.

Sarge

TheGSMoeller

Just bought tickets for an all-Brahms concert in June by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra conducted by Donald Runnicles with soloist Lars Vogt.

BRAHMS: Tragic Overture 
BRAHMS: Piano Concerto No. 1 
BRAHMS: Symphony No. 1

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 19, 2012, 06:42:49 PM
Just bought tickets for an all-Brahms concert in June by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra conducted by Donald Runnicles with soloist Lars Vogt.

Now, if we can just get them to do an all-Elgar program. ;) :D Anyway, this should be right up your alley. Who is pianist performing?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 19, 2012, 06:44:45 PM
Now, if we can just get them to do an all-Elgar program. ;) :D Anyway, this should be right up your alley. Who is pianist performing?

Lars Vogt is pianist. And yes an all Elgar would be great. I did see the San Antonio SO perform Enigma Variations several years back, such a great work to see in concert.

Obradovic

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2012, 12:25:07 PM
Sounds delicious. I love a mannered Hungarian dance  8)

Sarge

The main opening theme was fairly conventional but in the slower middle section Maazel played with the beat and the shape, now longer, now shorter, rallentando and then accelerando and here we go again. Not bad. But I remember the 4th Hungarian Dance as an encore by the Staatskapelle Dresden under G. PrĂȘtre 2-3 years ago in the same venue. Slow, full but flowing. Ah! that was pure magic!

bhodges

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 19, 2012, 06:42:49 PM

This looks excellent, and Runnicles is a terrific conductor. Last heard him in Britten's Peter Grimes at the Met (and heard through the grapevine that the musicians really liked working with him). Vogt is marvelous, too.

I'd say "report back," but by June, you'll probably have to remind us again.  ;D

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 19, 2012, 06:52:56 PM
Lars Vogt is pianist. And yes an all Elgar would be great. I did see the San Antonio SO perform Enigma Variations several years back, such a great work to see in concert.
Hang on... I saw the San Antonio SO perform Enigma Variations several years back...

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on December 20, 2012, 01:26:12 PM
Hang on... I saw the San Antonio SO perform Enigma Variations several years back...

Very cool!

I'll have to check the correct year (guessing around 2007) but my brother played one year with SO, saw that along with Rach. Symphonic Dances and DSCH no.15.

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 22, 2012, 03:04:03 AM
Very cool!

I'll have to check the correct year (guessing around 2007) but my brother played one year with SO, saw that along with Rach. Symphonic Dances and DSCH no.15.

Didn't see the Rach or DsCH, but it would have been around 2007 because that was before I went off to college and spent the concert season in Houston instead of SA.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 19, 2012, 06:52:56 PM

Ah, thank you. I'd love to see the Enigma Variations with the LSO and Colin Davis. Having a work like Introduction & Allegro on the program wouldn't hurt either. ;) :D By the way, how are you enjoying this Georgia weather? The 21st (first day of winter) was quite cold. I think it got down to 28 degrees. The wind certainly didn't help matters.