What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

Oh. my. god.

February 25th, 2015. Juilliard. All-Ligeti program. I'd especially like to see the Chamber Concerto.

AXIOM's  2014-15 season concludes on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 8 PM in Alice Tully Hall with a portrait of the groundbreaking Hungarian composer György Ligeti (1923-2006). AXIOM performs Ligeti's Síppal, dobbal, nádihegedüvel (With Pipes, Drums, Fiddles) (2000) for percussion ensemble and mezzo-soprano (singer to be announced) with the Juilliard Percussion Ensemble (Daniel Druckman – Director); Six Bagatelles; the Concerto for Cello (1966) with Juilliard Artist Diploma cellist, Jay Campbell; and Kammerkonzert (1970). Mr. Campbell, who graduates this month from Juilliard with a bachelor of music degree, will be continuing in Juilliard's Artist Diploma program. He has been performing with AXIOM since the beginning of his undergraduate studies, developing an affinity for and expertise in the performance of Ligeti's works.

Also, I'd like to see this for the Messiaen Oiseaux Exotiques:

The three-concert series opens on Friday, October 17, 2014 at 8 PM in Juilliard's Peter Jay Sharp Theater, with the concept of color at its thematic core. Harrison Birtwistle's 3 Settings of Celan (1989-1994) for soprano, two clarinets, viola, violoncello, and double bass is set to the moving poems of Holocaust survivor Paul Celan (1920-1970), commissioned and originally performed by The Composers Ensemble. Two colorful and joyful works complete the opening program:  Olivier Messiaen's splashy depiction of birdsong, Oiseaux exotiques (1955-6), commissioned by Messiaen's star pupil Pierre Boulez and scored for 19 players; and John Adams' Son of Chamber Symphony (2007), a commission by Stanford University, Carnegie Hall, and the San Francisco Ballet and dedicated to Ara Guzelimian, current Provost and Dean of Juilliard. Its first performance took place on November 30, 2007 at Stanford, performed by Alarm Will Sound and conducted by Alan Pierson. A choreographed version of the work titled Joyride by Mark Morris was first performed by the San Francisco Ballet on April 23, 2008.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

HIPster

Thanks for the reviews, Jens!  That Christie looks delicious.   ;)

Quote from: pjme on August 22, 2014, 12:22:00 AM
Tonight:
http://www.amuz.be/en/node/2399

Concerto Palatino

Il giovane Claudio

In what kind of world did Monteverdi live as a youngster? Who were his musical models, colleagues and competitors? Which ideas were imparted to him as the enabling condition to grow from a young pharmacist's son into the great Claudio Monteverdi whom we know from the Vespers and Orfeo? Concerto Palatino will sort this out for you. A festive festival opener with international, vocal and instrumental top soloists!

This tailor-made programme includes music by Marc'Antonio Ingegneri, Monteverdi's teacher in Cremona, and by Benedetto Pallavicino, one of his conductors at the court of Mantua. Other composers passing in review are Adrian Willaert, the Gabrieli brothers, and evidently young Claudio himself! The singers and the wind instrument players of Concerto Palatino will get their act together for a splendid homage to Monteverdi's young genius and its breeding ground: grandeur assured!

Wowie!  How was this concert, pjme?  I'd love a review whenever you get the chance.  Thanks.   ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Phrygian

jlaurson

Quote from: Phrygian on August 28, 2014, 03:09:44 PM
That would have been absolutely superb!!  Hopefully, I'll catch up with the amazing Les Arts Florissants from January next year in Europe.  Meanwhile, I'm going to have to be content with this:

And this:

http://konzerthaus.at/abo

What's not to love?

Excellent. Which Abo (or concerts) will you be having/seeing in the Konzerthaus? The "Resonanzen Festival"? Will you see Gardiner on the last Sunday in September?

madaboutmahler

The proms I went to over the summer, most standing in the arena! Best season, going with many great friends :)

Strauss Der Rosenkav LPO/Ticciati
Mahler 9 BBCSSO/Runnicles

Petrushka/Prokofiev PC1/Lutoslawski CforO NYO/Gardner (was interviewed on BBC Radio 3 at this one!)
Elgar Sea Pictures/Beethoven 3 Halle/Coote/Elder
Dvorak Cello Concerto/Dvorak 7 Czech Phil/Weilerstein/Behlovalek
Brahms 3/4 BFO/Fischer
Holst Planets/Scriabin Prometheus LPO/Jurowski
Mahler 2 Swedish RSO/Harding
Respighi Roman Trilogy RPO/Dutoit
Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances/Stravinsky Firebird BPO/Rattle!
Mahler 3 Gewandhaus/Gilbert

Highlights are in bold! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on July 31, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
Franz Schubert   Symphony N° 2 in B flat major D 125
Johann Strauss, father and son  Waltzes and Polkas

Georges Pretre
Wiener Philharmoniker

Unfortunately Prêtre has cancelled both this and the following concert in Vienna, due to health reasons; I'm deeply sad not to see the Wiener Philharmoniker at La Scala. :( A quick recovery to the Master! Thank goodness there's a lot of Mahler in the programme of the season, plus Bruckner No.7 with Rattle and the Berliner Philharmoniker.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Florestan on September 25, 2014, 04:49:07 AM
New Year's Concert 2015 will be conducted by Zubin Mehta.

The program looks most interesting.

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/concerts/concert-detail/event-id/585

Wow, have they decided the programme yet? It looks wonderful, I'm very pleased to see they have included Perpetuum mobile, Accelerationen, Elektro-magnetische Polka and An der Elbe, they are amazing pieces! Also Lumbye's Champagner-Galopp! :D
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Obradovic

Coming Sunday 9/28 in Athens Megaron

Denis Matsuev, piano London SO Valery Gergiev

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.2
Prokofiev Symphonies 1 & 5

No bad idea for an encounter with the much neglected Tchaik 2nd

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Coming to Orchestra Hall on Oct. 18:

London Philharmonic Orchestra
Vladimir Jurowski, conductor
Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, pianist
Lindberg: Chorale
Rachmaninov: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8

Chances to hear DSCH 8 don't come along that often, and the Lindberg is an interesting appetizer. 
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Brian

Quote from: Velimir on September 26, 2014, 04:33:35 PM
Chances to hear DSCH 8 don't come along that often

I just scored a free ticket to see DSCH 8! I have never heard it before - thought this was the kind of piece where a live First Listen would be a hell of an experience. And a live First Listen I shall have.  8) 8)

Mozart | Piano Concerto No 14
Shostakovich | Symphony No 8

Emanuel Ax
Dallas SO/Jaap van Zweden

Karl Henning

Chances to hear DSCH 8 don't come along that often, and the Lindberg is an interesting appetizer. 

Très cool!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on September 29, 2014, 06:36:44 AM
I just scored a free ticket to see DSCH 8! I have never heard it before - thought this was the kind of piece where a live First Listen would be a hell of an experience. And a live First Listen I shall have.  8) 8)

Emanuel Ax

Nice, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

That's certainly true. Shostakovich's 8th isn't performed very often, but that should be a great performance.

Mirror Image

Emanuel Ax

Excellent, Brian! Enjoy!

Brahmsian

Emanuel Ax

Excellent, Brian!   Hope it is an amazing first listen experience!  I love the 8th Symphony, probably my favourite of Shosty's.  :)

Karl Henning

Mine, too (when I'm not listening to the Op.43 or Op.93  8) )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on September 29, 2014, 07:24:49 AM
Mine, too (when I'm not listening to the Op.43 or Op.93  8) )

It is a fine line, Karl.  I could substitute for thus Opuses, as well.  :)