What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

I am hearing Murray Perahia play some Beethoven and Chopin on Oct.21 and on Nov.4 Dohnanyi is conducting Bruckner's 4th with the CSO, Arabella Steinbacher will play the Sibelius VC in the first half.

bhodges

Eagerly looking forward to this coming Monday night, at Carnegie Hall:

Boston Symphony Orchestra
James Levine, Music Director and Conductor
Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Piano
Tanglewood Festival Chorus
John Oliver, Conductor

Ravel: Alborada del gracioso 
Ravel: Pavane pour une infante défunte 
Ravel: Piano Concerto in G Major 
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé (complete)

--Bruce

Florestan

Quote from: bhodges on October 05, 2007, 10:17:41 AM

John Oliver, Conductor

--Bruce

Nice. Indeed very nice.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

MishaK

Quote from: bhodges on October 05, 2007, 10:17:41 AM

John Oliver, Conductor

--Bruce

Ooh, that does sound fun. I still never had the chance of hearing the Ravel concerto live. Haitink is doing the complete Daphnis along with Poulenc's Gloria with the CSO + Chorus in November.

Lilas Pastia

At the Montreal Symphony on the 23rd:

Herbert Blomstedt and the Bruckner 2nd  :D

Peter Serkin in Bach's first piano concerto.

bhodges

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on October 06, 2007, 10:22:07 AM
At the Montreal Symphony on the 23rd:

Herbert Blomstedt and the Bruckner 2nd  :D

Peter Serkin in Bach's first piano concerto.

Great-sounding program!  I don't think I've ever heard that Bruckner live, and it has one of my favorite Bruckner slow movements, really haunting.

--Bruce

suomesta

Martin Fröst plays Aho's Clarinet Concerto tomorrow with the Lahti Symphony, can't wait! LS also shows their concerts as webcasts at www.classiclive.com. I'm the one waiving at you in the front row...

toledobass

Well,  the Cleveland O is playing Mahler 2 this weekend.  I think I might try and catch the friday morning show.

Allan

Florestan

In less than 2 hours I'll be attending this:

Claude Debussy - Violin Sonata
Maurice Ravel - Violin Sonata
Cesar Franck - Violin Sonata

Cristina Anghelescu - violin, Viniciu Moroianu - piano.

(I guess these names ring no bell for you. :) )

suomesta

Remember I mentioned going to listen to Martin Fröst the other day? Well the performance was simply outstanding. I am sorry, I know this is not a review place, but I still wanted to share this experience with you. He played 2 impros as an encore, here is a link to one of them http://www.classiclive.com/Concerts/2007/October/370

matti

Quote from: Florestan on October 11, 2007, 06:26:05 AM

Cristina Anghelescu 

Her name does ring a bell, in fact. She did well in the Sibelius Competition some fifteen years ago.

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on October 11, 2007, 06:26:05 AM
In less than 2 hours I'll be attending this:

Claude Debussy - Violin Sonata
Maurice Ravel - Violin Sonata
Cesar Franck - Violin Sonata

Cristina Anghelescu - violin, Viniciu Moroianu - piano.

(I guess these names ring no bell for you. :) )

Quote from: matti on October 12, 2007, 01:15:54 AM
Her name does ring a bell, in fact. She did well in the Sibelius Competition some fifteen years ago.

Well, it's been a marvelous evening. The highlight was the Blues from Ravel's Sonata which the 2 performers made sound rather like a Tango: intensely passionate and sensual..

The only awful thing was that right after the 1st part of Debussy's Sonata a mobile phone started to ring somewhere in the hall and the f&*%$#g bastard did not turn it off, probably from fear of not being reprehended publicly and loudly --- which some of us did anyway.

Tonight:

Liszt - PC 1
Tchaikovsky - String Serenade
Tchaikovsky - Capriccio Italien

Romanian National Radio Orchestra, conductor Ilarion Ionescu-Galati
Ioana Maria Lupascu - piano

karlhenning

Solitary Wanderer

Looking forward to this next Thursday.

Music of the Spheres

Mischa Santora  Conductor
Michael Houstoun  Piano

Britten   Sinfonia da Requiem
Prokofiev  Piano Concerto No.1
Interval 
Holst   The Planets

To finish the APN News & Media Premier Series for the year, a long awaited event – the APO presents Holst's Planets suite in its entirety for the first time in 15 years. Under the baton of Mischa Santora, whose appearances with the orchestra in 2005 were roundly applauded, Holst's masterpiece, admired especially for the astounding "Mars Bringer of War" and for the moving "Jupiter" theme, will receive a rendition worth the wait. The first half of the programme has two more treats in store: Michael Houstoun in Prokofiev's cheeky and virtuosic first piano concerto, and Benjamin Britten's devastatingly raw Sinfonia da Requiem, written upon the death of his parents.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

bhodges

This week, three concerts by the Cleveland Orchestra, with Franz Welser-Möst.  I love them, so I'm excited...

Tomorrow:
Mozart: Symphony No. 28 in C Major, K. 200 
John Adams: Guide to Strange Places 
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6, "Pathétique"  

Wednesday:
DebussyIbéria, from Images, No. 2 
Matthias Pintscher: Five Orchestral Pieces (NY Premiere)
Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 

Thursday:
Malin Hartelius, Soprano
Bernarda Fink, Mezzo-Soprano
Westminster Symphonic Choir
Joe Miller, Conductor
Mahler: Symphony No. 2, "Resurrection" 

--Bruce

suomesta

Who said something about Bruckner - we have a black lab named after him! He likes his 8th Symphony especially...

Florestan

Tomorrow:

Enescu - Concert Overture on Romanian Folk Themes
Grieg - Piano Concerto in A minor
(interval)
Sibelius - Valse triste
Respighi - Pini di Roma

Romanian National Radio Orchestra, conducted by Horia Andreescu
Geir Botnen, piano

quintett op.57

Tonight :

Dvorak : Cello Concerto               Eschenbach/Orchestre de Paris/Yo-Yo Ma
Hindemith : Symphony in E-flat

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on October 12, 2007, 12:17:11 PM
Looking forward to this next Thursday.

Music of the Spheres

Mischa Santeria Conductor
Michael Houston Piano

Britten sniffing DA Requiem
Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.1
Interval
Holst the Planets

To finish the APN News & Media Premier Series for the year, a long awaited event – the APO presents Holst's Planets suite in its entirety for the first time in 15 years. Under the baton of Mischa Santeria, whose appearances with the orchestra in 2005 were roundly applauded, Holst's masterpiece, admired especially for the astounding Mars Bringer of War and for the moving Jupiter theme, will receive a rendition worth the wait. The first half of the programme has two more treats in store: Michael Houston in Prokofiev's cheeky and virtuosic first piano concerto, and Benjamin Britten's devastatingly raw Sniffing DA Requiem, written upon the death of his parents.

Great concert!

The Britten piece was the first work I've heard live by him and it was a treat. Loved the growling sax parts in the second movement and the finale reminded me of Stravinsky's Firebird conclusion. The only negative was the ragged horn section at one point.

Prokofiev's  Piano Concerto No.1 was great with Michael Houston performing the tricky work with alot of fire and passion. In an evening of 20th century composers this was the most modern sounding of the three.

Holst's The Planets was the highlight. I'm very familiar with this work as it was a gateway piece for me as a teenager so to hear/see it performed live was wonderful. They took the tempo noticeably faster than the Elder/Halle Orchestra Hyperion SACD version that I've been listening to recently. The power of Mars, especially when the main theme returns at the half way point only STRONGER, was goosebump territory. The only negative was for the Neptune finale they replaced the unseen choir with a very visible synth  ??? Apparently this was a musical decision not a financial one, but the ending was very thin and digital sounding after the grandeur of the preceding hour. Some guy did a LOUD sneeze right as the final notes were fading around the hall  ::)

A great finish to the APO's premium season  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Novi

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on October 19, 2007, 05:15:22 PM
Great concert!

Hey, good to see you made it to the concert and moreover, that it was worth your while :D. The Bartok PC1 is one of my favourites.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.