What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Planning to go to this one on March 5:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Sir Mark Elder, conductor
Vaughan Williams: Overture to The Wasps
Vaughan Williams: Five Variants of "Dives and Lazarus"
Elgar: Symphony No.1
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Wanderer

21 March 2016
Philharmonie de Paris

Joseph Haydn
Variations en fa mineur Hob.XVII:6

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Sonate pour piano n° 8 en la mineur, KV 310

Johannes Brahms
Vier Klavierstücke op. 119

Ludwig van Beethoven
Sonate n°29 Op.106 "Hammerklavier"

Murray Perahia, piano

Karl Henning

Quote from: Wanderer on February 26, 2016, 07:32:13 AM
21 March 2016
Philharmonie de Paris

Joseph Haydn

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Johannes Brahms

Ludwig van Beethoven

Murray Perahia, piano

Very nice.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spineur

Quote from: karlhenning on January 22, 2016, 05:14:31 AM
Going to Symphony Hall tomorrow evening, weather permitting:

Ludovic Morlot, conductor
Johannes Moser, cello

SMETANA  The Moldau
MARTINŮ  Fantaisies symphoniques (Symphony № 6)
DVOŘÁK Cello Concerto

I just heard Johannes Moser in Lisbon during my holiday vacation.  The program had 2 sonatas (Debussy, Shostakovich), Haydn Cello concerto (C), Tchaikovsky Roccoco variations and his Serenade.  Here is a photo I took there which you may enjoy.  I have more photos.  If you want to see the hires versions just ask.

bhodges

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on February 26, 2016, 07:02:31 AM
Planning to go to this one on March 5:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Sir Mark Elder, conductor
Vaughan Williams: Overture to The Wasps
Vaughan Williams: Five Variants of "Dives and Lazarus"
Elgar: Symphony No.1

If I were nearby I'd go to this, too. Not that he's near death (he'll be 70 in 2017), but any chance to hear Elder should be savored, especially in this repertoire. And the Vaughan Williams pieces don't show up in the concert hall that often, especially the Overture to The Wasps.

--Bruce

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brewski on February 26, 2016, 12:37:55 PM
If I were nearby I'd go to this, too. Not that he's near death (he'll be 70 in 2017), but any chance to hear Elder should be savored, especially in this repertoire. And the Vaughan Williams pieces don't show up in the concert hall that often, especially the Overture to The Wasps.

--Bruce

But being an elder, he's no spring chicken either. I think though that it's Elder's Elgar that's the most unusual thing on an American program, seeing that other than the Enigmas and the Cello Concerto, hardly any Elgar gets performed in this country at all, either by Elder, Jünger, or anyone in between.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Todd

Quote from: Wanderer on February 26, 2016, 07:32:13 AM
21 March 2016
Philharmonie de Paris

Joseph Haydn

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Johannes Brahms

Ludwig van Beethoven

Murray Perahia, piano

I'm seeing Perahia on April 10th.  The program merely says Haydn, Brahms, Beethoven.  I certainly would not be disappointed if it is this program.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brewski on February 26, 2016, 12:37:55 PM

I heard Elder conduct the Ives 2nd a couple of years ago, and that was really good. We need a regular conductor around here to do British and American music, since Muti seems to have no interest in it.

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on February 26, 2016, 12:43:43 PM
But being an elder, he's no spring chicken either. I think though that it's Elder's Elgar that's the most unusual thing on an American program, seeing that other than the Enigmas and the Cello Concerto, hardly any Elgar gets performed in this country at all, either by Elder, Jünger, or anyone in between.

Depends on the conductor/performer. Carlos Kalmar did this exact same symphony at Grant Park recently, as well as a couple of the big oratorios. Somebody (I forget who) did the Violin Cto. not long ago. From where I sit, Elgar gets played quite often.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on February 26, 2016, 01:05:24 PM
Depends on the conductor/performer. Carlos Kalmar did this exact same symphony at Grant Park recently, as well as a couple of the big oratorios. Somebody (I forget who) did the Violin Cto. not long ago. From where I sit, Elgar gets played quite often.

Then things have changed at least in Chicago from last time I checked performance statistics. I still doubt much of his work is done in New York, that cultural backwater.

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on February 26, 2016, 12:06:22 AM
That is a great program -- all-French music. When I went to see Chicago last May to see Turangalila-Symphonie it was during a series of French music concerts. They did Debussy's opera, Ravel's L'Enfant, and the left-handed PC (among others). I only got to see the Messiaen, but I would have loved to see the Ravel, too.

I'm going to see the Philadelphia Orchestra do Ravel's LH-PC in April. I've seen the two-handed one twice before, but never the LH.

Yeah, it should be an excellent concert. I'd kill to see L'enfant. One of my favorite pieces of music of all-time.

Brian

Quote from: Todd on February 26, 2016, 12:52:13 PM

I'm seeing Perahia on April 10th.  The program merely says Haydn, Brahms, Beethoven.  I certainly would not be disappointed if it is this program.
For what it's worth, that exact program minus the Mozart is what Perahia is doing in Berkeley a week later.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2016, 02:06:53 PM
Yeah, it should be an excellent concert. I'd kill to see L'enfant. One of my favorite pieces of music of all-time.

I think I said this before, MI, but to make you totally green with envy, I heard Maazel conduct L'Enfant live in a semi-staged concert with the NY Phil about five years ago, in a program that also included the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony. (New York's then-called Avery Fisher Hall didn't have its own organ, so they used a portable.) I was seated front-row center and could have leaned over to shake his hand. It was probably the best live program I heard Maazel conduct.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on February 26, 2016, 03:13:11 PM
For what it's worth, that exact program minus the Mozart is what Perahia is doing in Berkeley a week later.

I guess I know what I'll be hearing then.  Given Perahia's age and musical temperament, I suspect Op 106 will be on the broad side, but that's quite alright.  I saw him last time he was in Portland, and he delivered a splendid 31/1, so at the very least it should be a good show. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

bhodges

Not an upcoming concert, but one last night that I will recall for a long time. Olga Neuwirth's new piece is fantastic - I hope a recording is in the works - and held its own between the Mussorgsky and Wagner, both excellent, too.

Carnegie Hall
Feb. 27, 2016
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Valery Gergiev, Conductor
Heidi Melton, Soprano

Mussorgsky: Prelude to Khovanshchina
Neuwirth: Masaot / Clocks Without Hands (NY Premiere, co-commissioned by Carnegie Hall)
Wagner: Selections from Götterdämmerung
    ·· Dawn and Siegfried's Rhine Journey
    ·· Siegfried's Death and Funeral March
    ·· Brünnhilde's Immolation Scene

--Bruce

king ubu

yowzah!

March 17 at Lucerne's Easter festival:

The English Baroque Soloists 
The Monteverdi Choir 
Lucerne Boys' Choir 
(Eberhard Rex chorus master)
Sir John Eliot Gardiner  conductor
Mark Padmore  tenor (Evangelist)
Stefan Loges  bass (Jesus)
Hannah Morrison  soprano
Eleanor Minney  mezzo-soprano
Reginald Mobley  countertenor
Nicholas Mogg  bass
Ashley Riches  baritone
Jonathan Sells  baritone

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685–1750)
St Matthew Passion BWV 244
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

bhodges

Quote from: Brewski on February 25, 2016, 07:28:42 PM
Next week, after a long and rocky few years, the triumphant return to Carnegie Hall of the Minnesota Orchestra. I have already heard from people in Minneapolis who heard the same concert a few days ago, and said it was terrific. It doesn't hurt, either, that Hahn is one of my favorite violinists.

Minnesota Orchestra
Osmo Vänskä, Music Director and Conductor
Hilary Hahn, Violin

All-Sibelius Program

Symphony No. 3
Violin Concerto
Symphony No. 1

--Bruce

What a terrific - and generous - evening. Hahn was superb in the Violin Concerto, and did a Bach encore. The rest of the program was also excellent, and they did not one, but three encores. (I think the first one was more Sibelius, but will know tomorrow about the other two.)

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brewski on March 03, 2016, 08:45:01 PM
What a terrific - and generous - evening. Hahn was superb in the Violin Concerto, and did a Bach encore. The rest of the program was also excellent, and they did not one, but three encores. (I think the first one was more Sibelius, but will know tomorrow about the other two.)

--Bruce

Excellent, Bruce!  I love Hahn's recording of the concerto.  No surprise to hear she was superb at the concert.  :)

NikF

Stravinsky. The problem is, I don't know if we'll be in Glasgow on those dates. But I'm tempted to buy tickets anyway.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

bhodges

Quote from: NikF on March 09, 2016, 07:21:00 AM
Stravinsky. The problem is, I don't know if we'll be in Glasgow on those dates. But I'm tempted to buy tickets anyway.

Great-looking programs, all of them. Haven't heard Søndergård yet, but just heard Stefan Jackiw recently and he's terrific.

--Bruce

NikF

Quote from: Brewski on March 09, 2016, 07:29:16 AM
Great-looking programs, all of them. Haven't heard Søndergård yet, but just heard Stefan Jackiw recently and he's terrific.

--Bruce

And this is the type of comment that nudges me ever closer to the box office, regardless.  ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".