What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Novitiate on October 20, 2007, 04:36:02 AM
Hey, good to see you made it to the concert and moreover, that it was worth your while :D. The Bartok PC1 is one of my favourites.

Yep, thanks for that mate; glad I made the effort  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

rubio

I wonder about going to this concert:

Oslo PO - Gennadij Rozhdestventski

Program: 
HJALMAR BORGSTRØM
The Thought, symphonic poem

PETER I. TCHAIKOVSKY
Manfred Symphony 

This sounds very promising, so basically I wonder if Rozhdestventski is giving great shows at the moment? Or is he over the top?

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

bhodges

Quote from: rubio on October 22, 2007, 08:23:49 AM
I wonder about going to this concert:

Oslo PO - Gennadij Rozhdestventski

Program: 
HJALMAR BORGSTRØM
The Thought, symphonic poem

PETER I. TCHAIKOVSKY
Manfred Symphony 

This sounds very promising, so basically I wonder if Rozhdestventski is giving great shows at the moment? Or is he over the top?

Can't answer your query about the conductor (whom I don't think I've ever heard live) but I'd go just for the combination of him, the orchestra, and that program.  Manfred isn't done all that often and is well worth hearing, and I've not heard any music by the other composer. 

--Bruce

Greta

Looking forward to doing this double bill on November 11:

Jones Hall, Houston, TX

2:30pm
Houston Symphony
Hans Graf, conductor

Mozart: Serenade for Winds
Berg: Lyric Suite
Zemlinsky: Lyric Symphony

8:00pm
UBS Verbier Festival Orchestra
Charles Dutoit, conductor
Martha Argerich, piano

Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3

And the next weekend, with our local symphony, Sibelius 2nd and Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto with Caitlin Tully, on Saturday, Nov. 17, and the 18th, Houston Symphony with Hans Graf and Emmanual Ax:

Sibelius:
Finlandia
Sibelius: Symphony No. 7
Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 1

That's like a smorgasbord for Sibelians down here.  ;)

Speaking of Sibelius, M forever has been attending the L.A. Sibelius cycle and reporting back, sounds like it's been quite interesting so far, the 1st was apparently awesome (especially for M to say so!) The 5th and 6th is this weekend.

bhodges

Quote from: Greta on October 22, 2007, 10:23:05 AM
Houston Symphony
Hans Graf, conductor

Mozart: Serenade for Winds
Berg: Lyric Suite
Zemlinsky: Lyric Symphony

Martha Argerich, piano

All sounds great, but Nov. 11 sounds like a really action-packed day!  That first program is really canny: winds in the first piece, strings in the next, then all together for the Zemlinsky.  And I was watching the UBS Verbier group online last August--another excellent group that appears to be made up of relatively young players.

--Bruce

MishaK

Quote from: Greta on October 22, 2007, 10:23:05 AM
Martha Argerich, piano

I'll be hearing the same combo in Chicago on the 13th!  :D  Looking forward to comparing notes.

vandermolen

John Foulds "A World Requiem" (Royal Albert Hall, London 11th November 2007). Last performed there in 1926.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bhodges

Quote from: vandermolen on October 24, 2007, 06:52:06 AM
John Foulds "A World Requiem" (Royal Albert Hall, London 11th November 2007). Last performed there in 1926.

Now that sounds really fascinating.  (And I bet that in the United States, that piece has never been performed.)  Do report back.

--Bruce

bhodges

Tomorrow night, Paul Hillier and the Theatre of Voices, in this interesting program at Zankel Hall:

Sheldon Frank: "As I Was Saying" 
Berio: A-ronne
David Lang: The Little Match Girl Passion (World Premiere)

--Bruce

Solitary Wanderer

Final NZSO concert for the season tomorrow night:

Edo de Waart
Subscription Tour 6 - Series 1

PSATHAS Planet Damnation
MOZART Piano Concerto No 23 K488
RACHMANINOV Symphony No 2

EDO DE WAART Conductor
SA CHEN Piano
LAURENCE REESE Timpani

The tiny repertoire of concertos for timpani is boosted by what will undoubtedly prove a demanding and illustrious addition from award-winning New Zealand composer John Psathas.  Mozart's popular Piano Concerto in A major, K 488, from the mid-1780s Marriage of Figaro era, communicates joy tinged with sadness, that perennial human condition.  After an aborted 1905 revolution in Russia, Rachmaninov escaped to the stability offered by Dresden.  The Second Symphony, the most expansive and, due to its lyrical emotion, best loved of the three was the first work composed there in 1906.

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

bhodges

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on October 24, 2007, 12:07:24 PM

Edo de Waart

PSATHAS Planet Damnation

EDO DE WAART Conductor
SA CHEN Piano
LAURENCE REESE Timpani

Sounds like another good evening in the concert hall.  I've heard of Psathas but don't know his music.  Love the title...  ;D

--Bruce

vandermolen

Quote from: bhodges on October 24, 2007, 06:58:37 AM
Now that sounds really fascinating.  (And I bet that in the United States, that piece has never been performed.)  Do report back.

--Bruce

Will do Bruce; am looking forward to it. Apparently it is a massive work (90 mins) and was regularly performed at the Albert Hall in London every Armistice Day in the years after World war One.

Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Wow, quite a monument Back in the Day, eh, vandermolen?

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: bhodges on October 24, 2007, 12:26:38 PM
Sounds like another good evening in the concert hall.  I've heard of Psathas but don't know his music.  Love the title...  ;D

--Bruce

Yeah Bruce he is a local composer who is doing quite well; a number of his works have been played by both the NZSO and the APO. Could be a name to keep an eye on  :)

Lilas Pastia

Today's Montreal SO concert: my view in the Bruckner Abbey (guess which composer was featured? ;D).

stingo

October 26-27, 2007
Verizon Hall
Schubert, Mozart, and Haydn    

The Philadelphia Orchestra
Nicholas McGegan, conductor
Stephen Hough, piano

SCHUBERT  Overture in C major "in the Italian Style"
MOZART  Piano Concerto No. 21, K. 467
MOZART  Excerpts from Ballet Music from Idomeneo
HAYDN  Symphony No. 100 ("Military")

My first subscription concert of the season. Looks to be a good one.

Florestan

Quote from: stingo on October 25, 2007, 06:07:19 PM
October 26-27, 2007
Verizon Hall
Schubert, Mozart, and Haydn    

The Philadelphia Orchestra
Nicholas McGegan, conductor
Stephen Hough, piano

SCHUBERT  Overture in C major "in the Italian Style"
MOZART  Piano Concerto No. 21, K. 467
MOZART  Excerpts from Ballet Music from Idomeneo
HAYDN  Symphony No. 100 ("Military")

My first subscription concert of the season. Looks to be a good one.

No doubt it is. Please report back!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Sergeant Rock

We're hearing this concert tonight in Frankfurt:

HR-Sinfonieorchester (formerly the Frankfurt RSO) conducted by Paavo Järvi, Lars Vogt piano         

Mahler      Adagio Symphony #10
Mozart      Piano Concert B major KV 595
Sibelius   Symphony #5

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on October 24, 2007, 12:07:24 PM

Edo de Waart

PSATHAS Planet Damnation

EDO DE WAART Conductor
SA CHEN Piano
LAURENCE REESE Timpani

The tiny repertoire of concertos for timpani is boosted by what will undoubtedly prove a demanding and illustrious addition from award-winning New Zealand composer John Psathas.  Mozart's popular Piano Concerto in A major, K 488, from the mid-1780s Marriage of Figaro era, communicates joy tinged with sadness, that perennial human condition.  After an aborted 1905 revolution in Russia, Rachmaninov escaped to the stability offered by Dresden.  The Second Symphony, the most expansive and, due to its lyrical emotion, best loved of the three was the first work composed there in 1906.

Wonderful concert last night!

The world premier of PSATHAS' Planet Damnation was sensational. The percussion was heavily featured with the timpani stationed at the front of the stage. This was a highly rhythmic, driving and powerful tour de force replete with tubular bells, staccato violins and thrilling woodwind playing. The conclusion was met with thunderous applause. This is a composer to keep a look out for.

MOZART' Piano Concerto No 23 K488 was played by a delightful SA CHEN who looked very lovely and performed with an appropriate light touch. Charming.

RACHMANINOV' Symphony No 2 was a one hour journey of waves of surging strings and triumphant heralding of horns and percussion. The Adagio is especially beautiful.

Another fantastic night at the concert hall.  :)

bhodges

On Sunday afternoon, James Levine and the MET Chamber Ensemble are doing a very interesting version of Stravinsky's Histoire du soldat.  Note the participants.  ;D

The MET Chamber Ensemble
James Levine, Artistic Director and Conductor
Judith Bettina, Soprano
Susan Narucki, Soprano
Sasha Cooke, Mezzo-Soprano
Elliott Carter, Soldier
Milton Babbitt, Devil
John Harbison, Narrator

Elliott Carter: Tempo e tempi 
John Harbison: North and South 
Milton Babbitt: The Head of the Bed 
Stravinsky: Histoire du soldat