What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

Familiar but rare on Saturday, BRAHMS Clarinet Sonata 1 arr, by BERIO with orchestra. and BEETHOVEN Symphony 9 in the MAHLER edition.  Vancouver S.O./Tovey cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

ritter

I've just walked into the Saxon State Opera in Dresden to attend a performance of an unusual work, Albert Lortzing's Der Wildschütz , a work I've never seen before. ...

The new erato

I've got tickets for Paul McCartney on the 24th of June in Bergen. ;)

listener

Quote from: listener on April 07, 2016, 01:59:52 AM
Familiar but rare on Saturday, BRAHMS Clarinet Sonata 1 arr, by BERIO with orchestra. and BEETHOVEN Symphony 9 in the MAHLER edition.  Vancouver S.O./Tovey cond.
neat picture from the VSO facebook website of the expanded orchestra for the MAHLER /BEETHOVEN rehearsal
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

The new erato

bhodges

Last night, the American Contemporary Music Ensemble (ACME) in experimental works from the 1960s - unexpectedly fantastic. The Byrd pieces were quite beautiful, and my introduction to his work.

Steve Reich: Violin Phase (1967)
Philip Glass: Piece in the Shape of a Square (1967)
Joseph Byrd: Water Music for amplified percussion and tape (1963)
Joseph Byrd: Animals for prepared piano and ensemble (1961)

--Bruce

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I got free tickets to a Melbourne symphony orchestra concert coming up in a month's time featuring some Chin, Higdon and Reich.......I haven't yet warmed up to Higdon's music but I find myself enjoying her stuff more than I did a few years ago.

Todd

So I got to see next season's programs for Nelson Goerner and Pavaali Jumppanen.

Goerner is playing two diverse programs: Handel's Chaconne in G Major, Schumann's DBT, and Op 106 one day, and Bach's BWV989, three Chopin works, three pieces from two suites of Iberia, some Granados and Ravel's La Valse the next.  I generally only see one performance in these cases, but here I might see both.  I just heard Perahia play 106 this last Sunday, so in the course of one year I'd hear it live twice.  Am I up to it?  (Well, yes, of course.)

Paavali Jumppanen designed his programs so that I must attend both.  Recital one is Debussy's Preludes Book I and LvB Opp 27/2 and 81a, recital two is Debussy's Preludes Book II and LvB Opp 54 & 57.  Two recitals devoted to my two favorite piano composers.  I do hope this means that he records the Preludes. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Wanderer

In Vienna for a week.

Tomorrow at Musikverein's Gläserner Saal:

Beethoven: Streichquartett B-Dur, op. 130
Haydn: Divertimento F-Dur, Hob. III:17
Dvořák: Quintett für zwei Violinen, Viola, Violoncello und Kontrabass G-Dur, op. 77

Renaud Capuçon, Violine
Guillaume Chilemme, Violine
Adrien La Marca, Viola
Edgar Moreau, Violoncello
Alois Posch, Kontrabass

Wednesday at the Staatsoper:

Janáček: Jenůfa

Christian Franz | Laca Klemen
Marian Talaba | Stewa Buryjia
Angela Denoke | Die Küsterin Buryja
Dorothea Röschmann | Jenufa

Ingo Metzmacher | Dirigent

Friday at the Konzerthaus:

Tüür: Sow the Wind ... (2015) (EA)
Mozart: Konzert für Klavier und Orchester Es-Dur K 271 «Jeunehomme»
R. Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra

Wiener Symphoniker
Lars Vogt, Klavier
Paavo Järvi, Dirigent

jlaurson

Quote from: Wanderer on April 15, 2016, 12:45:00 AM
In Vienna for a week.

Tomorrow at Musikverein's Gläserner Saal:

Beethoven: Streichquartett B-Dur, op. 130
Haydn: Divertimento F-Dur, Hob. III:17
Dvořák: Quintett für zwei Violinen, Viola, Violoncello und Kontrabass G-Dur, op. 77

Renaud Capuçon, Violine
Guillaume Chilemme, Violine
Adrien La Marca, Viola
Edgar Moreau, Violoncello
Alois Posch, Kontrabass

Wednesday at the Staatsoper:

Janáček: Jenůfa

Christian Franz | Laca Klemen
Marian Talaba | Stewa Buryjia
Angela Denoke | Die Küsterin Buryja
Dorothea Röschmann | Jenufa

Ingo Metzmacher | Dirigent

Friday at the Konzerthaus:

Tüür: Sow the Wind ... (2015) (EA)
Mozart: Konzert für Klavier und Orchester Es-Dur K 271 «Jeunehomme»
R. Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra

Wiener Symphoniker
Lars Vogt, Klavier
Paavo Järvi, Dirigent

Good stuff! I'm at the Konzerthaus tonight, for some Bach Collegium Japan & Suzuki!

ritter

Seeing  Tristan und Isolde at the Hamburg State Opera on Sunday.  The old  Ruth Berghaus production will be conducted by  Kent Nagano, and Ricarda Merbeth will sing her first Isolde.

My partner will be running the Hamburg marathon that same morning. Let's see how he endures 42 km  and 5 hours of Wagner on the same day ... :D

jlaurson

Quote from: ritter on April 15, 2016, 09:30:39 AM
Seeing  Tristan und Isolde at the Hamburg State Opera on Sunday.  The old  Ruth Berghaus production will be conducted by  Kent Nagano, and Ricarda Merbeth will sing her first Isolde.

My partner will be running the Hamburg marathon that same morning. Let's see how he endures 42 km  and 5 hours of Wagner on the same day ... :D

;D Excellent. You can compare states of exhaustion.

bhodges

Last night, my first encounter with the Boston-based string chamber ensemble, A Far Cry. The program included Mozart's Divertimento in B-flat major (K. 137), Golijov's Tenebrae (done in remembrance of Seymour Lipkin, the pianist and educator), and best of all, a string orchestra arrangement by the ensemble of the Sibelius string quartet, "Voces intimae."

--Bruce

HIPster

Tomorrow night!  Really stoked for this one ~

http://www.sdems.org/

COLLEGIUM VOCALE GENT
PHILIPPE HERREWEGHE, director
"The Tears of St. Peter"

ORLANDE DE LASSUS
Lagrime di San Pietro 

MONDAY, APR 18, 7:30 PM
ST. JAMES BY-THE-SEA, LA JOLLA
Don't miss the last concert, one of the highlights of our 2015-2016 season, and an unique opportunity to hear the Collegium Vocale Gent, directed by Philippe Herreweghe, performing the Lagrime di San Pietro by Orlande de Lassus.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on April 15, 2016, 08:39:35 AM
Good stuff! I'm at the Konzerthaus tonight, for some Bach Collegium Japan & Suzuki!
FYI:
Latest on Forbes.com:
Bach At Home In Japan

Where resides the best Bach Orchestra and Chorus in the world? Leipzig? Berlin?
Germany at least? Amsterdam – where the great Bach tradition still lives on vibrantly?
London, where the early music movement attained its first heights? Maybe, but for
my money try Kobe, Japan[1]. Forgive for a second the hyperbole of "best": there
are other really, really fine ensembles that do Bach extremely proud. But the Bach
Collegium Japan (BCJ) and its founding director Masaaki Suzuki are are part of the
exclusive high-end of interpreters of the Leipzig's Master and need yield to no one in
the quality of their Bach performances....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/04/17/bach-at-home-in-japan

Kontrapunctus

Denis Matsuev in Berkeley next season:

BEETHOVEN: Sonata in A-flat Major, Op. 110

SCHUMANN: Symphonic Études

LISZT: Mephisto Waltz No. 1

TCHAIKOVSKY: Méditation, Op. 72, No. 5

PROKOFIEV: Sonata No. 7

bhodges

Not a concert in my neck of the woods (it's in Miami, Florida), but an example of great programming. Plus, it's going to be WallCast, available for people to watch on the giant wall, outside of the hall.

Saturday, April 23 at 8:00 PM
Sunday, April 24 at 2:00 PM

New World Symphony
Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor
Sasha Cooke, mezzo-soprano
Simon O'Neill, tenor

Cage: The Seasons
Mahler: The Song of the Earth

--Bruce

king ubu

Bought a ticket for "Aida" in Verona, June 30 ... an unnumbered one at the back - no idea if it's worth it, but as I'm spending close to two weeks in northern Italy in June and it fits my schedule I figured I'll give it a try :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

North Star

Looking at the 2016-17 seasons of Finnish RSO and Helsinki Philharmonic (where Susanna Mälkki will be the new chief conductor), I do see there would be some benefits to living in (or close to) Helsinki. Mälkki is bringing an awful lot of French modernists to her programs: Ravel, Boulez, Messiaen (Et exspecto, Ascencion, Turangaîla), Dutilleux, Debussy, Maresz, Attahir, Francesconi-Duende, Murail, and Grisey's Les espaces acoustiques. And then there's gobs of Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Szymanowski, and Ligeti, Gubaidulina, Lindberg, Saariaho.

As for the FRSO, there's an all-Stravinsky program with Salonen, Currentzis and Kopatchinskaja's Ligeti VC and Mahler 1st, Kavakos' LvB VC and Dvorak 7 ( he conducts, too), Holliger and Faust's Berg VC, Trifonov's Ravel G major, Nagano's Bruckner 8, Oramo's Elgar 2nd. Oh, and Glitburg plays Proky PC2 with Vassily Sinaisky & HPO, and Mustonen with Lintu & FRSO.

There's some Mahler, Sibelius (Vänskä conducts The Tempest - the whole thing, and numerous other works), Haydn (2 symphonies and The Seasons), Mozart (lots) too.

http://helsinginkaupunginorkesteri.fi/en/concerts
http://yle.fi/aihe/rso/konsertit-kausi-2016-2017
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr