Art that you like

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: NikF on March 27, 2018, 02:42:27 AM
Yeah, oor ritter just commented http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,301.msg1137729.html#msg1137729

But anything in particular that immediately strikes you about de Staël's work? When you have a moment, do tell.
Yes, that served as a reminder. :)

Well. The abstraction of shapes in vein of Cézanne and cubists, the use of texture, the colours, and how there's nothing unnecessary.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 27, 2018, 02:51:58 AM
Yes, that served as a reminder. :)

Well. The abstraction of shapes in vein of Cézanne and cubists, the use of texture, the colours, and how there's nothing unnecessary.

I often like to hear what people think and why.
Thanks for your prompt reply.  8)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ritter

Quote from: North Star on March 27, 2018, 02:51:58 AM
Very nicely put, Karlo! And good day to you... :)

And who could have thought that football (soccer) could inspire such wonderful paintings? From Nicolas de Staël's Parc des Princes series:

North Star

Quote from: ritter on March 27, 2018, 03:22:01 AM
Very nicely put, Karlo! And good day to you... :)

And who could have thought that football (soccer) could inspire such wonderful paintings? From Nicolas de Staël's Parc des Princes series:
Good day, Rafael!

I think it's only natural really that an artist who's clearly not unaware of the Impressionists would find football an interesting subject - so much in common with the ballerinas, bathers, and horses and jockeys of Degas.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Looking at Ernst Haas' photographs (not for the first time)

Lights of New York City (1970)

Twin Towers Reflection, NY 1975

New York 1952

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).