Author Topic: Non-Planets Holst  (Read 54317 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: Non-Planets Holst
« Reply #320 on: June 22, 2022, 10:33:06 AM »
I have just completed listening to this CD:

Walt Whitman Overture: This is obviously quite early Holst. It is rather effusive and profusely lyrical. There are, however, portentous voices in evidence here. This work is obviously an early one. One can judge this immediately.

Suite de Ballet: The music in the opening movement is light, airy and quite celebratory in tone. It could well be renamed as a Festival Overture. The music in the second movement has more depth to it. It is well constructed and paints wonderful sound pictures. However, the third movement is portentous in that one can begin to hear his later, more mature voice coming through, particularly in the counterpoint. The final movement is very colourful in terms of musical content, tone and orchestration. The orchestration throughout is also particularly fine.

Suite in E flat Op. 28/1: The opening movement contains very stirring and powerful music. The Intermezzo is, essentially, a lighter and livelier affair but is no less meaningful for that. The March is a robust and somewhat declamatory romp. The orchestration is wonderful throughout.

Suite in E flat Op. 28/2 “A Hampshire Suite”: The opening March is light, bright and sunny and would be readily at home on a promenade bandstand on a summer afternoon. The second movement is a wonderfully poignant song without words using woodwinds to great effect. The third movement, Song of the Blacksmith, is a more robust song without words. It is wonderfully scored. The final movement is an animated folk dance based work interwoven with wonderful, exciting counterpoint. Once again the orchestration is terrific.

A Moorside Suite: This is a work with a quite plaintive and poignant extended central movement which is sandwiched between two more protracted but robust and assertive movements.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline VonStupp

• Veteran member
    • Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #321 on: June 22, 2022, 11:27:28 AM »
I have just completed listening to this CD:

“A Hampshire Suite”: The opening March is light, bright and sunny and would be readily at home on a promenade bandstand on a summer afternoon. The second movement is a wonderfully poignant song without words using woodwinds to great effect. The third movement, Song of the Blacksmith, is a more robust song without words. It is wonderfully scored. The final movement is an animated folk dance based work interwoven with wonderful, exciting counterpoint. Once again the orchestration is terrific.

Nice write up! It is a wonderful recording altogether.

As to the Hampshire Suite, in some ways, I almost prefer it to the 2nd Suite for Military Band which Hampshire was molded from, even though it is not orchestrated by Holst, and posthumously so, too (in addition to the others you mentioned).

Something about substituting clarinets and oboes in lieu of saxophones appeals to me more. On the other hand, the opening movement euphonium solo, played on cello in Hampshire (I believe), sounds so wrong after many years of hearing the wind-band original.

Of course, the Six Choral Folksongs for a cappella choir, also mostly based around that 2nd Suite for Military Band are an outright gas. I guess I am just a sucker for Holst in all forms.

VS
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:41:04 AM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #322 on: June 22, 2022, 12:22:00 PM »

As to the Hampshire Suite, in some ways, I almost prefer it to the 2nd Suite for Military Band which Hampshire was molded from, even though it is not orchestrated by Holst, and posthumously so, too (in addition to the others you mentioned).

Something about substituting clarinets and oboes in lieu of saxophones appeals to me more. On the other hand, the opening movement euphonium solo, played on cello in Hampshire (I believe), sounds so wrong after many years of hearing the wind-band original.

Of course, the Six Choral Folksongs for a cappella choir, also mostly based around that 2nd Suite for Military Band are an outright gas. I guess I am just a sucker for Holst in all forms.

VS

Thank you very much for the comments and information.
I am not nearly as familiar with the music of Holst as I would like to be.

I am working with a download for this CD and I do not have access to the booklet.
I am intrigued to know please, if you know, who did orchestrate the music on this CD?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Online Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
  • Wo die Macht der Worte endet, beginnt die Musik.
    Classical Music; Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, R.Strauss, Ravel, Sibelius, Chopin, Holst, Prokofiev, Debussy, Shostakovich, Nielsen, Dvořák, Schoenberg and Zemlinsky. And many more......
« Reply #323 on: June 22, 2022, 12:38:13 PM »
Thank you very much for the comments and information.
I am not nearly as familiar with the music of Holst as I would like to be.

I am working with a download for this CD and I do not have access to the booklet.
I am intrigued to know please, if you know, who did orchestrate the music on this CD?

Gordon Jacob.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2022, 01:40:47 PM »

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #325 on: June 22, 2022, 02:22:13 PM »

VS

The two Military /band Suites are part of my youth, so for me, the scoring is just fine. I must seek out the Six Choral Folksongs
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #326 on: June 22, 2022, 02:25:02 PM »
Gordon Jacob.

Couldn't ask for a more sympathetic arranger.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline VonStupp

• Veteran member
    • Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #327 on: June 22, 2022, 02:31:16 PM »
The two Military /band Suites are part of my youth, so for me, the scoring is just fine. I must seek out the Six Choral Folksongs

No, I love the Military Suites; but given the chance between clarinet and saxophone, I choose clarinet 9 times out of 10.  :laugh:

Here are two; the first a real a cappella showpiece, the second, a choral stunner.

VS

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OVDGz31wjqU&amp;ab_channel=BaccholianSingersofLondon-Topic" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OVDGz31wjqU&amp;ab_channel=BaccholianSingersofLondon-Topic</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iLTqb-fMHIA&amp;ab_channel=BartjeBartmans" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iLTqb-fMHIA&amp;ab_channel=BartjeBartmans</a>

The last I heard all six was from the Holst Singers on Hyperion, for more samples:

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dw.asp?dc=W1077_66705

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 02:37:16 PM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #328 on: June 22, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »
No, I love the Military Suites; but given the chance between clarinet and saxophone, I choose clarinet 9 times out of 10.  :laugh:

What can I say? It's the wise choice 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA