Author Topic: Non-Planets Holst  (Read 50153 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Non-Planets Holst
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »
Who saw the Tony Palmer documentary? And was anyone else annoyed by how Palmer kept on using an actress who sounded almost, but not quite, like Imogen Holst for some of the voice-overs when he wanted to slip in some not quite accurate but racy information about his subject (e.g. that Holst "stayed" in a notorious street of prostitutes while taking a holiday in Algeria)? A pity, because it had some very interesting ideas, and some pretty good performances of (sadly chopped and shaped) extracts from his music.

Recorded it on BBC 4 a couple of days ago but only watched the first few minutes so far.  He did something similar with the voice over on his Vaughan Williams documentary, with a narrator who sort-of sounded like Vaughan Williams, only it wasn't Vaughan Williams.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
  • William Havergal Brian, symphonist (1876-1972)
    • JZH Text Services
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bruckner, Brian, Graener, Langgaard, Juon...
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2011, 06:41:41 AM »
I'll be watching it in a few days' time. Someone has uploaded it...

http://xhgc18.blogspot.com/2011/04/holst-in-bleak-midwinter.html

Edit: It's gone!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:44:44 PM by J. Z. Herrenberg »
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Offline John Whitmore

• Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra
    The neighbours cutting their trees down
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2011, 11:43:44 PM »
I come in peace from the Havergal Brian forum. Here's something that may interest you:
Here's the last Hattoff LP. A Holst Centenary from 1974. It includes Music for the Masque, Alcestis of Euripides and a talk by Imogen Holst. I understand that this was a limited edition recording produced for St. Paul's School. Steve thinks there were around 200 made but I can't confirm this one way or the other. Here is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?15lb1hy34e49o

Offline Pierre

• Formerly Boris_G
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2011, 06:15:07 AM »
I come in peace from the Havergal Brian forum. Here's something that may interest you:
Here's the last Hattoff LP. A Holst Centenary from 1974. It includes Music for the Masque, Alcestis of Euripides and a talk by Imogen Holst. I understand that this was a limited edition recording produced for St. Paul's School. Steve thinks there were around 200 made but I can't confirm this one way or the other. Here is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?15lb1hy34e49o

Thanks for this - listening to Imogen Holst's talk now (oh how stilted she sounds! But I guess that reflects her background).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2011, 06:30:02 AM »
Who saw the Tony Palmer documentary? And was anyone else annoyed by how Palmer kept on using an actress who sounded almost, but not quite, like Imogen Holst for some of the voice-overs when he wanted to slip in some not quite accurate but racy information about his subject (e.g. that Holst "stayed" in a notorious street of prostitutes while taking a holiday in Algeria)? A pity, because it had some very interesting ideas, and some pretty good performances of (sadly chopped and shaped) extracts from his music.

I recorded it off the TV but haven't watched it yet.  He did much the same with the Vaughan Williams documentary, in that he used an actor (for much of the autobiographical commentary) who sounded like Vaughan Williams - many of the reviews assumed that it was Vaughan Williams, which was extremely misleading.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

eyeresist

« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2011, 03:07:50 PM »
I recorded it off the TV but haven't watched it yet.  He did much the same with the Vaughan Williams documentary, in that he used an actor (for much of the autobiographical commentary) who sounded like Vaughan Williams - many of the reviews assumed that it was Vaughan Williams, which was extremely misleading.

I don't mind the soundalike voiceover - it's a standard documentary device. But I think Palmer's work has been overrated, due to classical fans being pathetically grateful for anything at all in this vein.

Offline Dundonnell

• Veteran member
  • Edmund Rubbra(1901-86)
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
I don't mind the soundalike voiceover - it's a standard documentary device. But I think Palmer's work has been overrated, due to classical fans being pathetically grateful for anything at all in this vein.

I think that you are absolutely correct in this!

I used to admire Palmer's work, probably for the very reason you adduce, but now in retrospect the more I think about both the VW and Holst films the less I like them.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about RVW's sex life ::)

eyeresist

« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »
I think that you are absolutely correct in this!

Thank you for pandering to my ego! :)

Unless a composer's sex life is especially important to the music, or else spectacular (Goossens!), it is pretty much a bore to hear about.

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
  • William Havergal Brian, symphonist (1876-1972)
    • JZH Text Services
    Bruckner, Brian, Graener, Langgaard, Juon...
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2011, 07:52:22 AM »
The man and woman in the street can't empathise with a composer's stylistic or structural problems, it can with his sexual ones (if there are any). It 'humanises' the composer... I think it trivialises him.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2011, 07:54:18 AM »
I need to give The Hymn of Jesus a fresh listen.

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
  • Die Musik ist die Sprache der Leidenschaft.
    Classical Music; Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, R.Strauss, Ravel, Sibelius, Chopin, Holst, Prokofiev, Debussy, Respighi, Shostakovich, Janáček and Dvořák. And many more......
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »
I surely agree, the rest of Holst's compositions is not as appreciated as it would deserve, althought they're really beautiful.

Apart from the Planets, which I extremely love, I like the Somerset Rhapsody, the Suites for Military Band, The Cloud Messenger, First Choral Symphony, St Paul's Suite Op.29 No.2, The Wandering Scholar and Hammersmith, Prelude and Scherzo.

For Holst's music, you can take a look at this channel on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/13Orcun

Ilaria
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:18:08 PM by Lisztianwagner »
"Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline Muzition

music
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2011, 05:33:13 PM »
I played "Hammersmith" in wind band and fell in love with it.

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
    Classical Music; Wagner, Liszt, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, R.Strauss, Ravel, Sibelius, Chopin, Holst, Prokofiev, Debussy, Respighi, Shostakovich, Janáček and Dvořák. And many more......
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »
I played "Hammersmith" in wind band and fell in love with it.

How beautiful, Hammersmith is really good!!

Ilaria
"Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »
Savitri was the work thet really opened my ears to Holst.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »
I surely agree, the rest of Holst's compositions is not as appreciated as it would deserve, althought they're really beautiful.

Apart from the Planets, which I extremely love, I like the Somerset Rhapsody, the Suites for Military Band, The Cloud Messenger, First Choral Symphony, St Paul's Suite Op.29 No.2, The Wandering Scholar and Hammersmith, Prelude and Scherzo.

For Holst's music, you can take a look at this channel on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/13Orcun

Ilaria

The Cloud Messenger has some wonderful - almost minimalist, sections. It is a moving work.

Offline Pierre

• Formerly Boris_G
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
The Cloud Messenger has some wonderful - almost minimalist, sections. It is a moving work.

I agree - I was listening to this just the other day. I know this is corny, but the brass writing reminded me so much of certain John Williams film scores (for some reason particularly from that minimalist bit where the cloud reaches the 'snowy peaks of the Himalayas') which I'm a sucker for... and yes, I know who was there first!

Offline madaboutmahler

• Veteran member
  • MAHLER: THE GREATEST!!!!
    • Daniel Hogan - Composer
    Mahler, Elgar, Ravel, Chopin, Schnittke, Dvorak, Vaughan Williams, Schmitt, Karlowicz, R.Strauss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich....
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2011, 09:49:24 AM »
I am certainly very keen to explore more in to Holst's output, obviously because of 'The Planets', which is a work I really love, but also because of my recent hearing of the 'Perfect Fool Suite', which was spectacular!

Shall be exploring more Holst soon, and will report back... :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
I am certainly very keen to explore more in to Holst's output, obviously because of 'The Planets', which is a work I really love, but also because of my recent hearing of the 'Perfect Fool Suite', which was spectacular!

Shall be exploring more Holst soon, and will report back... :)

Try 'The Cloud Messenger', 'Egdon Heath' 'Hammersmith' and the 'Lyric Movement for Viola' - they are all great.

Offline madaboutmahler

• Veteran member
  • MAHLER: THE GREATEST!!!!
    • Daniel Hogan - Composer
    Mahler, Elgar, Ravel, Chopin, Schnittke, Dvorak, Vaughan Williams, Schmitt, Karlowicz, R.Strauss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich....
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
Try 'The Cloud Messenger', 'Egdon Heath' 'Hammersmith' and the 'Lyric Movement for Viola' - they are all great.

Thank you for the suggestions - shall take a listen to all of these very soon. I imagine I'll be entering a Holst phase any time soon! ;)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline Lisztianwagner

• Veteran member
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »

"A Somerset Rhapsody", "A Choral Fantasia" and "St. Paul's Suite" as well, all definitely beautiful.