Non-Planets Holst

Started by vandermolen, April 21, 2007, 12:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 31, 2018, 07:24:03 AM
The band suites are beloved classics in that lit;  great fun to play, and thoroughly gratifying music.

Yes, I recall that you liked these Karl.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 31, 2018, 09:35:22 AM
Yes, I recall that you liked these Karl.

I might have been in the eighth grade when I first played these . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

For those who can access BBC I-player, a documentary that could be of interest about RvW and Holst :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bshhss/holst-and-vaughan-williams-making-music-english
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 18, 2018, 10:03:09 AM
For those who can access BBC I-player, a documentary that could be of interest about RvW and Holst :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bshhss/holst-and-vaughan-williams-making-music-english

Thanks - I recorded it but haven't watched it yet.

It was excellent - please see the VW thread, where I wrote a bit about it, if you are interested.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on November 18, 2018, 11:44:33 AM
Thanks - I recorded it but haven't watched it yet.

It was excellent (please see VW thread where I wrote a bit about it if you are interested).

kyjo

Last night, I finally listened to a work which I've been meaning to listen to for a while - Holst's (First) Choral Symphony. What a magnificent work! By turns mysterious, mercurial, and glowingly lyrical, it's a superbly written work for voices and orchestra alike. There are several passages which echo The Planets and, more importantly, much music of great individuality and impact. This new Chandos recording is exemplary in all regards:

[asin]B00EWT17T8[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 18, 2019, 09:11:26 PM
Last night, I finally listened to a work which I've been meaning to listen to for a while - Holst's (First) Choral Symphony. What a magnificent work! By turns mysterious, mercurial, and glowingly lyrical, it's a superbly written work for voices and orchestra alike. There are several passages which echo The Planets and, more importantly, much music of great individuality and impact. This new Chandos recording is exemplary in all regards:

[asin]B00EWT17T8[/asin]

It's probably my favourite work by Holst, much as I like The Planets, Egdon Heath etc. Glad you enjoyed it Kyle. You might also like The Cloud Messenger if you don't already know it. I don't think that it's as consistently good as The First Choral Symphony but it has some wonderful moments, including an extraordinary proto-minimalist passage.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 19, 2019, 01:14:18 AM
It's probably my favourite work by Holst, much as I like The Planets, Egdon Heath etc. Glad you enjoyed it Kyle. You might also like The Cloud Messenger if you don't already know it. I don't think that it's as consistently good as The First Choral Symphony but it has some wonderful moments, including an extraordinary proto-minimalist passage.

I listened to The Cloud Messenger (which, astonishingly, only seems to have one recording - Hickox on Chandos) last night and was once again blown away! What rapturous music! There's one section in particular that's quite mesmerizing where women's voices sings a wordless, melismatic "ah" to a haunting, "oriental" melodic line. Indeed, there is so much more to Holst than The Planets!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 20, 2019, 11:52:29 AM
I listened to The Cloud Messenger (which, astonishingly, only seems to have one recording - Hickox on Chandos) last night and was once again blown away! What rapturous music! There's one section in particular that's quite mesmerizing where women's voices sings a wordless, melismatic "ah" to a haunting, "oriental" melodic line. Indeed, there is so much more to Holst than The Planets!

Delighted that you liked it Kyle! You're quite right - that is the one and only recording.

vandermolen

Interesting-looking new release:

Mirror Image

Good to see Holst get some recognition outside of The Planets. That new release of The Cloud Messenger does look rather good, Jeffrey. I might have heard this piece once, but, honestly, as with so much I've heard in the past 11 years or so, I'd have to give myself a refresher on what it sounded like. A work that I want to hurt Holst for writing is the Japanese Suite. Not because I dislike the work, of course, but because it's so freaking infectious! I have that movement Dance of the Marionette bouncing around in my head all day after I hear it. Some other favorite works of Holst: Egdon Heath, St. Paul's Suite, The Hymn of Jesus, Choral Symphony, Lyric Movement, Suites Nos. 1 & 2 for Military Band, Beni Mora and Invocation. I should do a deeper dive into his oeuvre, but generally I'm not an opera fan, so I've been kind of putting off listening to works like Sāvitri, At the Boar's Head, The Wandering Scholar, etc.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2020, 01:15:31 PM
Interesting-looking new release:

Very nice! To my knowledge, this will only be the second commercial recording of The Cloud Messenger (in any version) after the Hickox recording on Chandos, which is hard to fathom as it is such a wonderful and imaginative work.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 27, 2020, 04:19:24 PM
Very nice! To my knowledge, this will only be the second commercial recording of The Cloud Messenger (in any version) after the Hickox recording on Chandos, which is hard to fathom as it is such a wonderful and imaginative work.
Thank you Kyle and John for your responses. Many fine compositions by Holst have been rather eclipsed (appropriate metaphor I think  8)) by the success of 'The Planets' which was both a blessing and a curse for Holst. Yes, this will, AFAIK, be only the second recording of 'The Cloud Messenger', which I'm looking forward to receiving. Of course I have the fine Hickox recording. There may be some longueurs in the work but there are some wonderfully poetic and magical moments, including an inspired proto-minimalist section. Holst was IMO a very great composer and it's sad that he didn't live as long as his friend Vaughan Williams. I must listen to that Japanese Suite again after John's comment about it. Other works I greatly admire (apart from The Planets) are Egdon Heath, Hammersmith, The First Choral Symphony, A Somerset Rhapsody, a Choral Fantasia, the suites for Band and much more besides. There are some lovely songs as well.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2020, 12:17:43 AM
Thank you Kyle and John for your responses. Many fine compositions by Holst have been rather eclipsed (appropriate metaphor I think  8)) by the success of 'The Planets' which was both a blessing and a curse for Holst. Yes, this will, AFAIK, be only the second recording of 'The Cloud Messenger', which I'm looking forward to receiving. Of course I have the fine Hickox recording. There may be some longueurs in the work but there are some wonderfully poetic and magical moments, including an inspired proto-minimalist section. Holst was IMO a very great composer and it's sad that he didn't live as long as his friend Vaughan Williams. I must listen to that Japanese Suite again after John's comment about it. Other works I greatly admire (apart from The Planets) are Egdon Heath, Hammersmith, The First Choral Symphony, A Somerset Rhapsody, a Choral Fantasia, the suites for Band and much more besides. There are some lovely songs as well.

For me you have hit the nail on the head. Holst seems to have set every verse of the long poem and as a result there is too much hovering, trembling and anticipation; if the work was 15 minutes shorter it would be so much better. Having said that I am sure plenty of people will enjoy the work more than I did,

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on May 28, 2020, 12:49:42 AM
For me you have hit the nail on the head. Holst seems to have set every verse of the long poem and as a result there is too much hovering, trembling and anticipation; if the work was 15 minutes shorter it would be so much better. Having said that I am sure plenty of people will enjoy the work more than I did,
Yes, I agree with you, which may be why there has, up to now, been only one recording of it. Still, the magical moments are worth waiting for and I look forward to hearing the chamber version.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2020, 01:06:40 AM
Yes, I agree with you, which may be why there has, up to now, been only one recording of it. Still, the magical moments are worth waiting for and I look forward to hearing the chamber version.

I like "Cloud Messenger" but I must admit I have no interest in hearing an arrangement that Holst never made nor sanctioned (I assume this new version is a new arrangement).  Am I missing something glorious!?

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2020, 12:17:43 AM

Indeed, Jeffrey. There are many gems in Holst's oeuvre that many people are either unaware of or simply haven't taken the time to explore his oeuvre. Yes, I recall that Holst was proud of The Planets, but resented the fact its' success meant that his other music would go unnoticed. It should also be worth noting that The Planets is actually his least favorite composition. I recall him saying he was most proud of Egdon Heath for example.

Symphonic Addict

Beni Mora (Oriental Suite) and Indra are two pieces I find fantastic besides the ones already mentioned. Upon hearing Beni Mora one realizes that was a clear inspiration for John Williams.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 28, 2020, 12:40:38 PM
Beni Mora (Oriental Suite) and Indra are two pieces I find fantastic besides the ones already mentioned. Upon hearing Beni Mora one realizes that was a clear inspiration for John Williams.

Indeed! I love Holst in "exotic" mode. He was a master of conjuring up images of faraway lands and ancient times in his music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 28, 2020, 02:47:33 AM
I like "Cloud Messenger" but I must admit I have no interest in hearing an arrangement that Holst never made nor sanctioned (I assume this new version is a new arrangement).  Am I missing something glorious!?
I'll let you know. It's due to arrive here tomorrow.