Non-Planets Holst

Started by vandermolen, April 21, 2007, 12:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 28, 2020, 12:40:38 PM
Beni Mora (Oriental Suite) and Indra are two pieces I find fantastic besides the ones already mentioned. Upon hearing Beni Mora one realizes that was a clear inspiration for John Williams.
Yes, I should have mentioned that fine work in my list. It is a hauntingly atmospheric piece.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2020, 05:57:38 AM
Indeed, Jeffrey. There are many gems in Holst's oeuvre that many people are either unaware of or simply haven't taken the time to explore his oeuvre. Yes, I recall that Holst was proud of The Planets, but resented the fact its' success meant that his other music would go unnoticed. It should also be worth noting that The Planets is actually his least favorite composition. I recall him saying he was most proud of Egdon Heath for example.
Yes, I think that's right about Egdon Heath John. I think that Holst might have considered it his greatest work. I'm not sure that Holst didn't like the Planets (although I don't think that he liked the central part of 'Jupiter' being turned into a hymn) so much as him resenting the way in which its success overshadowed all his other works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2020, 01:44:13 PM
Yes, I think that's right about Egdon Heath John. I think that Holst might have considered it his greatest work. I'm not sure that Holst didn't like the Planets (although I don't think that he liked the central part of 'Jupiter' being turned into a hymn) so much as him resenting the way in which its success overshadowed all his other works.

Yes, indeed, Jeffrey. All of this talk about Holst is getting me in the mood to revisit some of his music. :D

Albion

The name Holst and the genre of opera are seldom linked but his works in this field are worth exploring:

Sita, Op.23 (1899-1906) - a large-scale effort, unsuccessful entrant of the 1906 Ricordi Competition, later renounced by the composer as "good old Wagnerian bawling"...

Interlude from Act III recorded by Lyrita (SRCD209)
Closing scene from Act III (recorded by Opera Viva on LP, 1983, nla), copy available in my British and Irish Music Archive at the Art Music Forum

Sāvitri, Op.25 (1909) - a three-hander with Holst in minimalist mode...

Complete recording by Decca (various issues)
Complete recording by Hyperion (CDH55042)
Complete recording by Phoenix USA (PHCD145)

The Perfect Fool, Op.39 (1918-22) - quirky humour and vivid orchestration tell a fairy-tale of Holst's own devising...

Ballet music recorded several times
Complete BBC performance conducted by Vernon Handley (not commercially released but available in off-air recordings) -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPsn2jNGZsw: follow the vocal score as well!

At the Boar's Head, Op.42 (1924-25) - a somewhat dry exercise in attempting to wed Shakespeare to English folksong...

Complete recording by EMI (CDC 7 49409 2) now Warner Classics (4404712)
Complete recording by Dux (DUX130708)

The Wandering Scholar, Op.50 (1929-30) - light, compact and vigorous, a well-paced four-hander...

Complete recording by Chandos (CHAN 9734)

:)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

vandermolen

Quote from: Albion on November 01, 2020, 10:40:37 AM
The name Holst and the genre of opera are seldom linked but his works in this field are worth exploring:

Sita, Op.23 (1899-1906) - a large-scale effort, unsuccessful entrant of the 1906 Ricordi Competition, later renounced by the composer as "good old Wagnerian bawling"...

Interlude from Act III recorded by Lyrita (SRCD209)
Closing scene from Act III (recorded by Opera Viva on LP, 1983, nla), copy available in my British and Irish Music Archive at the Art Music Forum

Sāvitri, Op.25 (1909) - a three-hander with Holst in minimalist mode...

Complete recording by Decca (various issues)
Complete recording by Hyperion (CDH55042)
Complete recording by Phoenix USA (PHCD145)

The Perfect Fool, Op.39 (1918-22) - quirky humour and vivid orchestration tell a fairy-tale of Holst's own devising...

Ballet music recorded several times
Complete BBC performance conducted by Vernon Handley (not commercially released but available in off-air recordings) -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPsn2jNGZsw: follow the vocal score as well!

At the Boar's Head, Op.42 (1924-25) - a somewhat dry exercise in attempting to wed Shakespeare to English folksong...

Complete recording by Dux (DUX130708)

The Wandering Scholar, Op.50 (1929-30) - light, compact and vigorous, a well-paced four-hander...

Complete recording by Chandos (CHAN 9734)

Thanks - I rarely listen to opera although I think that one or two feature in my Holst boxed set. The Ballet music from the Perfect Fool, especially the dreamy, poetic and magical middle movement is one of my very favourite works by Holst.

Albion

Here is a little-known work of significance by Holst from my British and Irish Music Archive of off-air recordings:

Hecuba's Lament, Op.31 No.1 (1911)

Catherine Wyn-Rogers, mezzo/ Geoffrey Mitchell Choir/ BBC Concert Orchestra/ Barry Wordsworth (broadcast on BBC Radio 3 21st December 1995)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x90heo89jg61iu6/Holst_-_Hecuba%2527s_Lament%252C_Op.31_No.1_%25281911%2529.mp3/file

This powerful and moving piece is not available commercially and the download is made available for private study purposes.

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Albion on November 02, 2020, 09:54:32 AM
Here is a little-known work of significance by Holst from my British and Irish Music Archive of off-air recordings:

Catherine Wyn-Rogers, mezzo/ Geoffrey Mitchell Choir/ BBC Concert Orchestra/ Barry Wordsworth (broadcast on BBC Radio 3 21st December 1995)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x90heo89jg61iu6/Holst_-_Hecuba%2527s_Lament%252C_Op.31_No.1_%25281911%2529.mp3/file

This powerful and moving piece is not available commercially and the download is made available for private study purposes.

Thanks, Alby.

Albion

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on November 02, 2020, 02:03:18 PM
Thanks, Alby.

You are more than welcome! I created and continue to curate a large archive of mostly off-air performances of British and Irish repertoire which are otherwise currently unavailable. Many of them I recorded myself but many have been donated through the kindness of like-minded collectors over the past ten years - the number of files (mostly mp3s) now stands at 1,676! Here is my latest catalogue -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fxjaych73jyhj9j/British_and_Irish_Music_Catalogue_2020.txt/file

Hecuba's Lament is just one example of a significant work by a composer of international stature which has been unjustly overlooked: there are many others...

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Albion on November 02, 2020, 02:37:51 PM
You are more than welcome! I created and continue to curate a large archive of mostly off-air performances of British and Irish repertoire which are otherwise currently unavailable. Many of them I recorded myself but many have been donated through the kindness of like-minded collectors over the past ten years - the number of files (mostly mp3s) now stands at 1,676! Here is my latest catalogue -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fxjaych73jyhj9j/British_and_Irish_Music_Catalogue_2020.txt/file

[snip]

That's fabulous. Much obliged, Magnificent A.

Time to go down the rabbit hole...

Albion

Returning to the operas, here is the extract from Sita mentioned above:

Sita, Op.23 (1899-1906) - Closing scene from Act III
Penelope Chalmers, sop; Jane Smith, mezzo; Carole Leatherby, alto; Mark Hofman, bar; Dafydd Wyn Phillips, bar/
Opera Viva Orchestra/ Leslie Head (12/2/1983, from LP OV101/2, 1983)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cid6i5alklfyn7b/Holst_-_Sita%252C_Op.23_%25281899-1906%2529_-_excerpt.mp3/file

Bruno_HolstHis

Hecuba's Lament is just one example of a significant work by a composer of international stature which has been unjustly overlooked: there are many others...

Hello, I am a scholar about Gustav Holst, Peter knows me, I have many rare things, mainly photographs and videos, I am even editing a film about Holst using the rare The Lost films. I saw your catalog list, can you send me these items?

The Vision of Dame Christian, Op.27a (1909)^^^
Choir and O of St Paul's Girls' School/ Imogen Holst (privately issued LP, rec. 1974)

King Estmere, Op.17 (1903)****
BBC Singers/ English Chamber O/ Norman Del Mar (br. 26/6/1983)

relm1

Quote from: Albion on November 02, 2020, 09:54:32 AM

I really liked it.  Thanks for posting.

Albion

Quote from: Bruno_HolstHis on November 03, 2020, 05:52:00 AMHello, I am a scholar about Gustav Holst, Peter knows me, I have many rare things, mainly photographs and videos, I am even editing a film about Holst using the rare The Lost films. I saw your catalog list, can you send me these items?

The Vision of Dame Christian, Op.27a (1909)^^^
Choir and O of St Paul's Girls' School/ Imogen Holst (privately issued LP, rec. 1974)

King Estmere, Op.17 (1903)****
BBC Singers/ English Chamber O/ Norman Del Mar (br. 26/6/1983)

Hi Bruno, please check your forum messages for the relevant links.

Roasted Swan

Thankyou from me too - I followed your link to "Perfect Fool" which I have always wanted to hear complete.  I'd missed that BBC performance.  What would we do without the BBC ........ don't answer that!!

Albion

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 03, 2020, 12:20:59 PMThankyou from me too - I followed your link to "Perfect Fool" which I have always wanted to hear complete.  I'd missed that BBC performance.  What would we do without the BBC ........ don't answer that!!

The issuing of Richard Itter's personal archive on Lyrita seems to have dried up at the moment. I contacted the label several years ago to suggest that these two performances (Hecuba's Lament and The Perfect Fool) were urgent candidates for release - I heard nothing. In the decades from the 60s to the 90s the BBC actively sought out interesting and neglected works for its house orchestras to broadcast, nowadays such innovative planning is virtually defunct and in the race for ratings Radio 3 has sadly plunged into the mire of "audience led" programming and vacuous chat with very little initiative, relying more and more on mainstream works and the easy availability of already-commercially-released recordings (with the very rare exception)...

::) :(  ???

vandermolen

Quote from: Albion on November 04, 2020, 12:37:02 AM
The issuing of Richard Itter's personal archive on Lyrita seems to have dried up at the moment. I contacted the label several years ago to suggest that these two performances (Hecuba's Lament and The Perfect Fool) were urgent candidates for release - I heard nothing. In the decades from the 60s to the 90s the BBC actively sought out interesting and neglected works for its house orchestras to broadcast, nowadays such innovative planning is virtually defunct and in the race for ratings Radio 3 has sadly plunged into the mire of "audience led" programming and vacuous chat with very little initiative, relying more and more on mainstream works and the easy availability of already-commercially-released recordings (with the very rare exception)...

::) :(  ???

I find what has happened to Radio 3 deeply dispiriting.

Bruno_HolstHis

What is your opinion about the recordings conducted by Holst? I particularly like it a lot, I think the 1926 recording is very good, but I also like the acoustic recordings a lot. This is the list of the works that Holst recorded:

1922 (Acoustic):

The Planets Op. 32:
No. 4, Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity

1923 (Acoustic):

The Planets Op. 32
No. 1, Mars.
No. 2, Venus
No. 3, Mercury
No. 5, Saturn
No. 6, Uranus
No. 7, Neptune

Beni Mora Op. 29
No, 1. First Dance (lost recording)

1924 (Acoustic)

Beni Mora Op. 29, No. 1
No. 1, first Dance
No. 2, Second Dance
No. 3, In the Street of Ouled Naïls

Two Songs Without Words Op. 22
No. 1, Country Song
No. 2, Marching Song

St. Paul's Suite Op. 29 No. 2
No. 1, Jig
No. 2, Ostinato
No. 3, Intermezzo
No. 4, Finale

Four Songs for Voice and Violin Op. 35 (Holst was present at the recording studio)

1925 (Acoustic)

The Planets Op. 32
No. 4, Jupiter
No. 5, Saturn

1926 (Electric)

The Planets Op. 32 (complete)

Two Songs Without Words Op. 22
No. 2, Marching Song.

Holst probably must have recorded A Fugal Overture, but don't know what went wrong, he also conducted a radio broadcast in 1931 on BBC Proms. By the way, does anyone have this interview with Vaughan Williams saved? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d3p91

vandermolen

I enjoy this recording. Sadly I don't have those VW archive recordings saved:

Albion

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2020, 12:43:51 AMSadly I don't have those VW archive recordings saved:

Unfortunately neither do I, but somebody somewhere will have saved this broadcast. That's the main reason that I was able to accumulate a large number of recordings from fellow enthusiasts, including no less than two radio transmissions from 1954 of York Bowen's (subsequently lost) Symphony No.3, Op.137 (1951): I still live in hope that this particular work can be reconstructed aurally in the same way that so many film scores have been and brought back into circulation...

Irons

I fully understand the historical significance of a composer conducting his or her own works but acoustic recordings are a few steps too far in the past for me.

May not quite have the authority of her father but the recordings of Imogen Holst are the next best thing. Not only blood line she also studied her father's music her whole life and lived and breathed it. The bonus is excellent sound.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.