Non-Planets Holst

Started by vandermolen, April 21, 2007, 12:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 29, 2011, 12:08:10 PM
"A Somerset Rhapsody", "A Choral Fantasia" and "St. Paul's Suite" as well, all definitely beautiful.

Thank you Ilaria - I think I heard a part of the Choral Fantasia before, it sounded amazing, so I shall definitely listen to it in full sometime. :) Hope you are well Ilaria, have a nice evening!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Holst is a composer I could just never get into. I find his music to be rather drab and ho-hum most of the time. I do like The Planets, but even I tire of this work, which is why I seldom listen to it. Egdon Heath is a good piece, but I don't really have time for Holst these days.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2011, 12:16:48 PM
Holst is a composer I could just never get into. I find his music to be rather drab and ho-hum most of the time. I do like The Planets, but even I tire of this work, which is why I seldom listen to it. Egdon Heath is a good piece, but I don't really have time for Holst these days.

Dude, bad form to post in a composer thread to the effect of "yawn!" ; )

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 29, 2011, 12:08:10 PM
"A Somerset Rhapsody", "A Choral Fantasia" and "St. Paul's Suite" as well, all definitely beautiful.

I was going to ask if you meant the Choral Symphony, but I see now that there is a Fantasy, too, How do you like the Ch S?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: karlhenning on November 29, 2011, 12:23:07 PM
I was going to ask if you meant the Choral Symphony, but I see now that there is a Fantasy, too, How do you like the Ch S?

Yes, I meant the Choral Fantasia before; I also adore the Choral Symphony though, it's a stunning and impressive piece.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Pierre

Quote from: karlhenning on November 29, 2011, 12:23:07 PM
Dude, bad form to post in a composer thread to the effect of "yawn!" ; )

Agreed. Sorry to butt in (I know you weren't asking me) but in my opinion the Choral Fantasia is a masterpiece - very pithy, disturbing yet beautiful, whereas the Choral Symphony is perhaps a rather looser-limbed work with wonderful moments but short of being a consummate masterpiece. So do try the Choral Fantasia if you don't know it.

Karl Henning

I don't know it, so thanks for the rec!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Christo

Exciting news is the release of a recording of The Coming of Christ, a mystery play from 1927, the same year that saw Egdon Heath.

It was written in commission for Canterbury Cathedral, and I was hardly aware of it - so far it was just an entry in Imogen Holst's Catalogue of her father's compositions. Apparently, it was never performed after Holst himself conducted it in Canterbury Cathedral in 1928, with his St. Paul's Girl's School and pupils from Morley College. It was only resurrected at the The English Music Festival in 2010 and recorded after.

It appears to be mature Holst and I really look forward to people's findings here. I don't think I read a review so far, but I didn't really try hard to find one. Anyone?

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on December 02, 2011, 10:44:58 AM
Exciting news is the release of a recording of The Coming of Christ, a mystery play from 1927, the same year that saw Egdon Heath.

It was written in commission for Canterbury Cathedral, and I was hardly aware of it - so far it was just an entry in Imogen Holst's Catalogue of her father's compositions. Apparently, it was never performed after Holst himself conducted it in Canterbury Cathedral in 1928, with his St. Paul's Girl's School and pupils from Morley College. It was only resurrected at the The English Music Festival in 2010 and recorded after.

It appears to be mature Holst and I really look forward to people's findings here. I don't think I read a review so far, but I didn't really try hard to find one. Anyone?

Johan,

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2011/Nov11/Holst_Christ_EMRCD004.htm

Brian

QuoteThe Ulster Orchestra entered into an exciting new relationship with Naxos in October with the recording of a CD of lesser-known music by Gustav Holst. Under its new principal conductor JoAnn Falletta, the orchestra has committed to a multi-year recording relationship with Naxos.

The first CD, which was recorded at the orchestra's historic Ulster Hall on October 11 and 12, will include five important Holst works, including his beautiful Cotswolds Symphony, the Japanese Suite, the Walt Whitman Overture and the first uncut recordings of A Winter Idyll and Indra.

The Symphony, written during 1899 and 1900, is an evocative landscape portrait of the beautiful English countryside, and is highlighted by the emotional and deeply felt slow movement, an elegy to the memory of William Morris. Unperformed in Holst's lifetime, his Winter Idyll shows evidence of Holst's admiration for Wagner and other Germanic composers, along with his musical debt to his teacher Charles Stanford. Holst was passionately interested in the culture and mythology of India, and his Indra (Indra being the ancient Hindu god of rain and storm) displays brilliant orchestral writing in a warmly vibrant work that expresses the god's battle with the drought. Many British composers admired the mystical poetry of Walt Whitman, and Holst honored him in his Walt Whitman Overture composed seven years after the poet's death.

Holst's Japanese Suite, written at a later period in his life, was composed at the request of the Japanese dancer Michio Ito for his performance at the London Coliseum. Ito provided Holst with some authentic Japanese melodies as a basis for the work. It opens with a striking cadenza for solo bassoon, and betrays telling fingerprints of The Planets, which Holst had just completed.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Brian on December 03, 2011, 07:13:20 AM

So the performances on the Lyrita disc of the Winter Idyll and Indra, edited by Colin Matthews, were cut. Lewis Foreman's cd booklet notes do not make that clear.

Pierre

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 03, 2011, 07:25:44 AM
So the performances on the Lyrita disc of the Winter Idyll and Indra, edited by Colin Matthews, were cut. Lewis Foreman's cd booklet notes do not make that clear.

Hmm - I fear Colin Matthews is increasingly appearing to be some kind of Procrustes when it comes to Holst's music: he hacked 'The Lure' and the early Wind Quintet before they got recorded. I'll certainly be looking forward to the Naxos recording.

I enjoyed The Coming of Christ, but can't say I was very taken by Robert Hardy's narrations. Still, I guess it might be possible to programme the player to skip those bits!

cilgwyn

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 29, 2011, 12:38:42 PM
Yes, I meant the Choral Fantasia before; I also adore the Choral Symphony though, it's a stunning and impressive piece.
I was enjoying that last night. Wonderful music. Maybe it does have some less inspired moments,but to be honest,whatever they are,I didn't notice them & they certainly didn't bother me.I certainly prefer it to 'The Planets' (Holst's acoustic recording is my favourite!),which I do actually like.Well,I hope so. I have umpteen recordings of it.
I thought the Hyperion recording was awful. Apart from the general dreariness of the performance,I had to fiddle around with the volume controls;the balance was all wrong. Either it was the singer or the choir. (Their recording of VW's 'Hugh the Drover' was another clunker!) The Boult is the one to have!

Karl Henning

We're singing some (non-Planets Holst) on Christmas Eve, apparently : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dundonnell

The Choral Fantasia is a work of pure, utter, unadulterated genius ;D

Janet Baker, English Chamber Orchestra(Imogen Holst) is THE version. I got it first on LP more years ago now than I care to remember. It still sends shivers down my spine :)

At his very best Holst demonstrated a capacity to conjure up pure transcendental magic which few other composers ever equalled. If Holst was not necessarily a genius he still produced works of genius.

Christo

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 16, 2011, 08:13:25 AM
If Holst was not necessarily a genius he still produced works of genius.

::) 8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 16, 2011, 08:13:25 AM
At his very best Holst demonstrated a capacity to conjure up pure transcendental magic which few other composers ever equalled. If Holst was not necessarily a genius he still produced works of genius.

Very interesting, Colin. Holst certainly conjured much magic in his work.

Was wondering if you could all help me choose some Holst recordings to add to my collection (please ;) ), as at the moment the only Holst recordings I own are of the Planets, I think.... here are some I was thinking about....
[asin]B00005QDYL[/asin][asin]B000000AY8[/asin]
[asin]B002HHH3WC[/asin][asin]B001KS96OW[/asin]
[asin]B004I65C6Y[/asin][asin]B000007N5X[/asin]
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 16, 2011, 10:43:17 AM
Very interesting, Colin. Holst certainly conjured much magic in his work.

Was wondering if you could all help me choose some Holst recordings to add to my collection (please ;) ), as at the moment the only Holst recordings I own are of the Planets, I think.... here are some I was thinking about....

[asin]B000007N5X[/asin]
I don't know the others, but this one is excellent!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Dundonnell

The cds you illustrated all contain much wonderful music and are excellent choices in respect of interpretation and performance.

The version of the Choral Fantasia I mentioned is coupled with that beautiful and wonderful work by Gerald Finzi "Dies Natalis" and is another I would recommend with all possible enthusiasm:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Composers-Finzi-Vaughan-Williams/dp/B000005GSD/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1324065278&sr=1-3

Dundonnell

.....and Yes that Naxos disc with Beni Mora-a fantastic piece-is an excellent one :)

cilgwyn

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 29, 2011, 12:10:19 PM
Thank you Ilaria - I think I heard a part of the Choral Fantasia before, it sounded amazing, so I shall definitely listen to it in full sometime. :) Hope you are well Ilaria, have a nice evening!
I remember listening to that tune in the 'Somerset rhapsody' and thinking,that's the one Maddy Prior sings on my Steeleye Span record (Below the salt)! :)
(A folk rock band for those who don't know!)