Non-Planets Holst

Started by vandermolen, April 21, 2007, 12:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Cor, so how many sets of Rig Veda pieces did Holst write? These choruses which we are rehearsing in Framingham are different to any of the settings I find strewn around Recordings-Land. (Which may be why Paul selected them.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Hattoff

Yes, there is nothing quite like them, they are very beautiful. Try his chamber opera, Savitri.

vandermolen

Recently I've been enjoying the 'First Choral Symphony' (there was no second one), settings of poems by Keats. Sargent's recording (Intaglio) is the most gripping I have heard, more moving than the much acclaimed Boult version.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Hattoff

I like the Choral Symphony well enough. I had the Boult on LP and currently have the Hilary Davan Wetton, which is okay, but I must try the Sargent. A bit of extra oomph (technical term) would certainly help it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Hattoff on April 10, 2013, 10:01:51 PM
I like the Choral Symphony well enough. I had the Boult on LP and currently have the Hilary Davan Wetton, which is okay, but I must try the Sargent. A bit of extra oomph (technical term) would certainly help it.

Yes, for some reason I was much more moved by Sargent's recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dax

Happened to spin Hammersmith today. Very impressive.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dax on December 08, 2013, 11:55:27 AM
Happened to spin Hammersmith today. Very impressive.

Hammersmith and Egdon Heath are two fine non-Planets Holst works.

Cato

The Walt Whitman Overture and the Scherzo, a late work as part of a planned symphony, are for me the stand-outs on this CD:

[asin]B00701QXHQ[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pierre

Quote from: Cato on December 08, 2013, 12:43:33 PM
The Walt Whitman Overture and the Scherzo, a late work as part of a planned symphony, are for me the stand-outs on this CD:

[asin]B00701QXHQ[/asin]

I rather like the funeral march and the scherzo on the Cotswolds Symphony (not so much the outer movements of that work).

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on December 08, 2013, 12:43:33 PM

[asin]B00701QXHQ[/asin]

Hope you read the booklet notes!  :)

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on December 09, 2013, 12:50:32 PM
Hope you read the booklet notes!  :)

Oh yes: e.g. Imogen Holst did not care for the Cottswold work much at all!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on December 09, 2013, 01:59:30 PM
Oh yes: e.g. Imogen Holst did not care for the Cottswold work much at all!

Can't blame her! I don't think much of it either.

vandermolen

Was in Chichester on Friday, so made a point of visiting Holst's grave in the cathedral. Didn't realise that there was a new stone from 2009 quoting a line from the Hymn of Jesus. I took a photo but not sure how to upload. Anyway, you can see it here:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=holst's+grave+chichester&biw=1024&bih=672&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI_uru6cj5xgIVQukUCh3g9gCv#imgrc=hFy3jHexoCvlSM%3A

Albion

Andrew Davis on Chandos is worth a listen: the Choral Symphony was being recorded by Richard Hickox in Cardiff for the same company in November 2008 when he unexpectedly died.

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

vandermolen

Quote from: Albion on July 27, 2015, 12:59:25 AM
Andrew Davis on Chandos is worth a listen: the Choral Symphony was being recorded by Richard Hickox in Cardiff for the same company in November 2008 when he unexpectedly died.

Yes, that is a fine CD.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on July 28, 2015, 01:44:32 AM

Quote from: Albion on July 27, 2015, 12:59:25 AM

Yes, that is a fine CD.

That is the only recording of The Mystic Trumpeter I have heard.  (And I have no complaint)  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 26, 2015, 11:54:32 AMWas in Chichester on Friday, so made a point of visiting Holst's grave in the cathedral. Didn't realise that there was a new stone from 2009 quoting a line from the Hymn of Jesus. I took a photo but not sure how to upload. Anyway, you can see it here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=holst's+grave+chichester&biw=1024&bih=672&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI_uru6cj5xgIVQukUCh3g9gCv#imgrc=hFy3jHexoCvlSM%3A

Great to see!

BTW,  has anyone heard the 1916 Fantasia on Hampshire Folk Songs?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on July 30, 2015, 03:33:42 AM
Great to see!

BTW,  has anyone heard the 1916 Fantasia on Hampshire Folk Songs?

No, sounds very interesting. Is it available on CD or is it only available on an obscure Latvian LP label in your collection?  8)

Yes, was nice to see the new memorial stone for Holst, which incorporated words from The Hymn of Jesus.  :)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2015, 04:53:21 AM
No, sounds very interesting. Is it available on CD or is it only available on an obscure Latvian LP label in your collection?  8)

Yes, was nice to see the new memorial stone for Holst, which incorporated words from The Hymn of Jesus.  :)

I have the version for strings (arranged by Imogen Holst), the English CO conducted by Norman Del Mar, as a download on my iPad. Probably taken from the Arts-Music Forum.  It is typically 1916 ('mature') Holst and should be recorded. (Listened to it a couple of times here, in the Galilee, on vacation, and don't have my documentation available.)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on August 05, 2015, 10:58:15 PM
I have the version for strings (arranged by Imogen Holst), the English CO conducted by Norman Del Mar, as a download on my iPad. Probably taken from the Arts-Music Forum.  It is typically 1916 ('mature') Holst and should be recorded. (Listened to it a couple of times here, in the Galilee, on vacation, and don't have my documentation available.)

Thanks Johan.  :)