The Great Mahler Debate

Started by Greta, April 21, 2007, 08:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazioso

71 dB, you should remember that this is classical music, high art that deserves full attention and engagement by the listener in the same way great literature or painting does its readers or viewers. Of course, one can listen to music as background noise or just skim the surface for the emotional kicks, but classical music offers much more than that if you're willing to dig into it. A couple hours with a major composer are not enough to make any realistic judgment as to worth or complexity. That's like watching one performance of Hamlet and making pronouncements about Shakespeare.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Haffner on April 23, 2007, 04:25:21 AM
Sarge, I completely sympathize with your pique. But 71 seems like a good person, and I personally have made the same type of knee jerk reactions to certain works as he.
Hell, it was only about 6 months ago that I was having one hell of a time "getting" Beethoven's 3rd. I went on this forum complaining about its lack of melody ( :o ::)), its overall inaccessibility, etc ( ::) ::)). I think I commited a far worse form of knee-jerk error overall.
But all of you kind folks on the board were so patient...I just feel that 71 deserves the same treatment.
Believe me, I know how irritating it can be when a member tends to publicly proclaim his or her seeming dismissiveness. But we are all overall more charitable than this. Let's just point 71 toward the great Mahler recordings, so at least he'll have the oppurtunity to make a more informed opinion.

Andy, I'm not going to waste any more space on this thread discussing dB. I've PMd a reply.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

71 dB

Quote from: Grazioso on April 24, 2007, 03:52:19 AM
71 dB, you should remember that this is classical music, high art that deserves full attention and engagement by the listener in the same way great literature or painting does its readers or viewers. Of course, one can listen to music as background noise or just skim the surface for the emotional kicks, but classical music offers much more than that if you're willing to dig into it. A couple hours with a major composer are not enough to make any realistic judgment as to worth or complexity. That's like watching one performance of Hamlet and making pronouncements about Shakespeare.

Why do you think I am not giving Mahler my full attention? What did I say to make you think I listen to it as background noise?

The fact that Mahler hasn't blown me away does not mean I am a newbie in classical music. On the contrary, it is a sign of criticality.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Valentino

Started reading this thead in hope of learning something. The only thing I've learned thus far is that I shall contine my traversal through his symphonies, and get proper recordings of his orchestral songs.

So where do I go for his third symphony? (I have Bernstein on DG in #1 and CBSO/Rattle in #2.)
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Cato

Quote from: Valentino on April 24, 2007, 04:32:16 AM
Started reading this thead in hope of learning something. The only thing I've learned thus far is that I shall contine my traversal through his symphonies, and get proper recordings of his orchestral songs.

So where do I go for his third symphony? (I have Bernstein on DG in #1 and CBSO/Rattle in #2.)

"All we are aaaaskiiiing,
Is give BOULEZ a chaaaance!"

On DGG.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Harry

Again I have to clean my keyboard, so I have to switch to the laptop for a while!
;D ;D

Haffner

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 02:03:15 AM
Okay, I listened Mahler 7 last night. 9th is my favorite so far but I keep exploring.

The 9th is my favorite too, but don't miss out on the 4th!

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 24, 2007, 03:56:54 AM
Andy, I'm not going to waste any more space on this thread discussing dB. I've PMd a reply.

Sarge

Got it, and I'm very grateful for the explanation, Sarge.

71 dB

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 06:21:03 AM
The 9th is my favorite too, but don't miss out on the 4th!

The 4th won't be missed.  ;) Perhaps I listen to it next...

Haffner

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 06:36:44 AM
The 4th won't be missed.  ;) Perhaps I listen to it next...

I remain blown away by Mahler's choice of instrumentation/orchetration in that one. I'll bet Shostakovich had heard performances or read scores of Mahler's 4th before penning his 5th Symphony (which of course also features amazing orchestration).

71 dB

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 06:43:00 AM
I remain blown away by Mahler's choice of instrumentation/orchetration in that one. I'll bet Shostakovich had heard performances or read scores of Mahler's 4th before penning his 5th Symphony (which of course also features amazing orchestration).

Thanks Andy, I'll pay extra attention to orchestration then.  ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Valentino on April 24, 2007, 04:32:16 AM

The Third has been lucky on record. I doubt I would object to any version anyone would recommend here. You can't go wrong with MTT, Chailly, Bernstein, Abbado, Boulez, Haitink...the old Horenstein too has much going for it. They all have their passionate advocates. My favorite is OOP or I'd mention that one too. Heather has been spending a lot of time with the Third. I'd be interested in hearing which version she liked best.

By the way, I like your systematic approach to Mahler.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 24, 2007, 06:55:12 AM
The Third has been lucky on record. I doubt I would object to any version anyone would recommend here. You can't go wrong with MTT, Chailly, Bernstein, Abbado, Boulez, Haitink...the old Horenstein too has much going for it. They all have their passionate advocates. My favorite is OOP or I'd mention that one too. Heather has been spending a lot of time with the Third. I'd be interested in hearing which version she liked best.

By the way, I like your systematic approach to Mahler.

Sarge

Haven't heard the Horenstein, but I have the Bernstein set, and I don't think one could do too wrong just grabbing the Bernstein (that is, if one isn't quite the collector we are, Sarge!).

Sometimes the Bernstein set isn't completely satisfactory recording wise. But I really have grown to adore the performances, especially the 8th and 9th...fantastic and emotion provoking.

Just my opinion!

Haffner

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 06:46:13 AM
Thanks Andy, I'll pay extra attention to orchestration then.  ;)

Listening to your symphony now, it certainly sounds like you know quite a bit about orchestration! I'm enjoying the 4th movement now.

71 dB

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 07:11:22 AM

Listening to your symphony now, it certainly sounds like you know quite a bit about orchestration! I'm enjoying the 4th movement now.

Wow! I am so taken you like my symphony! In fact I have always felt my low movement sounds a bit Mahlerian...  ;D

I like Mahler's use of brass instruments and harp! The use of wood instruments is good too.

Haffner

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 07:16:27 AM
Wow! I am so taken you like my symphony! In fact I have always felt my low movement sounds a bit Mahlerian...  ;D

Maybe a little. But I like best that you have your own thing going in this symphony, your influences don't show that much. A good thing, in my humble opinion.

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on April 24, 2007, 05:44:52 AM
"All we are aaaaskiiiing,
Is give BOULEZ a chaaaance!"

I'm even going to give the Erato disc with Phyllis Bryn-Julson singing Pli selon pli another chance!  Testify, brother!

71 dB

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 07:19:58 AM
Maybe a little. But I like best that you have your own thing going in this symphony, your influences don't show that much. A good thing, in my humble opinion.

Thank you Andy! My influences come from several music genres and I try to use them on high abstract level. Anyway, I don't mind if people recognise the influences.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 07:23:43 AM
Thank you Andy! My influences come from several music genres and I try to use them on high abstract level. Anyway, I don't mind if people recognise the influences.

You write music?

71 dB

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 24, 2007, 08:52:09 AM
You write music?

Well, I would not say I write it but I have made music with computer almost 15 years.
Andy was talking about my 2nd symphony (2003) which can be downloaded here.