The Great Mahler Debate

Started by Greta, April 21, 2007, 08:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 09:10:50 AM
Well, I would not say I write it but I have made music with computer almost 15 years.
Andy was talking about my 2nd symphony (2003) which can be downloaded here.

Which I did some time ago, and forgot to tell you how much I liked it. ::)

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 24, 2007, 09:13:02 AM
Which I did some time ago, and forgot to tell you how much I liked it. ::)

Not a problem Harry! It's not easy to give feedback in this kind off situation. I am proud of that symphony but hey, I haven't studied composing a bit and my knowlegde of music theory is limited to the rudiments. I just have music in my head and I do what I can and what sounds good to me.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

PerfectWagnerite

Well, I would not say I write it but I have made music with computer almost 15 years.

Sounds like a mixed between New Age, Copland, and Pettersson ;)

71 dB

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 24, 2007, 09:19:15 AM

Yes, I think some new age is there. Some parts may sound Coplandian. Pettersson's music I haven't heard unfortunately.  :-\

Haffner

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 24, 2007, 09:19:15 AM

I'd say there's definitely a compliment there, PerfectWagnerite :)!

71db has a very interesting, at times strikingly inventive, approach to orchestration. He often asserts instrumental colours with the kind of ingenuity that seems especially promising.

mahlertitan

I hope you have changed your opinion on mahler, atleast somewhat. I don't think i gave you his 8th symphony and Das Lied, those are his choral works and i think you should be familiarized with his instrumental works first.

Oh, btw do you know that mahler composed a little nice piano quartet for chamber instruments and piano?

71 dB

Quote from: Haffner on April 24, 2007, 09:25:43 AM

I'd say there's definitely a compliment there, PerfectWagnerite :)!

71db has a very interesting, at times strikingly inventive, approach to orchestration. He often asserts instrumental colours with the kind of ingenuity that seems especially promising.

I think that's because I haven't studied orchestration. I have a model in my head how orchestral sounds can be used and I make music accordingly. Computers can play anything you program them to do but I doubt a real orchestra could perform my music without huge problems.

Your words are most kind Andy! I never expected such feedback from anyone.

Quote from: MahlerTitan on April 24, 2007, 09:26:09 AM
I hope you have changed your opinion on mahler, atleast somewhat. I don't think i gave you his 8th symphony and Das Lied, those are his choral works and i think you should be familiarized with his instrumental works first.

Oh, btw do you know that mahler composed a little nice piano quartet for chamber instruments and piano?

That's a work in progress MT! I will keep listening to the Mahler symphonies and I change my opinion if necessory. I have never think Mahler a bad composer, it's just that I don't see his music as unsurpassable as many do.

Mahler's Piano Quartet is interesting but unfortunately I have never heard it. I like chamber music with piano.

knight66

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 09:42:38 AM

I have never think Mahler a bad composer, it's just that I don't see his music as unsurpassable as many do.

You are moving the goal posts. What people here have been calling you on is the absolute statements you made to the effect that Mahler's music is not very complex, Elgar's marches are more complex. Even if Mahler were a failed composer, it is evident and factual....his music is highly complex, certainly more so than what you compared it to. I am not sure anyone on the thread has claimed Mahler is unsurpassable, but a number of us have taken issue with the complexity comments....which you repeated.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

karlhenning

Thanks for the link, 71 dB.  Will listen later.

greg

Quote from: knight on April 24, 2007, 10:31:44 AM
You are moving the goal posts. What people here have been calling you on is the absolute statements you made to the effect that Mahler's music is not very complex, Elgar's marches are more complex. Even if Mahler were a failed composer, it is evident and factual....his music is highly complex, certainly more so than what you compared it to. I am not sure anyone on the thread has claimed Mahler is unsurpassable, but a number of us have taken issue with the complexity comments....which you repeated.

Mike
so what was it by Mahler he said wasn't complex?
i can see what he means, somewhat, with much of the 1st symphony, but besides that most of it is really complex, especially if you look at the score (or even if you pay attention to how many different lines are playing at the same time)

knight66

It is earlier in the thread. It would take me the same time to find it as it would for you to find it.

Mike

greg

he's talking about Mahler 3  :o
that guy needs to go buy another pack of q-tips

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: knight on April 24, 2007, 10:31:44 AM

Mike

I learn something new on this forum every single day.
Today I know at least one opinion that somehow an Elgar March is more complex than Mahler's 3rd symphony.

71 dB

Elgar's music is extremely complex, even his marches. The most complex 6 minutes of any given Mahler symphony may be more complex than a 6 minutes march by Elgar but the average complexity is lower. Mahler has long sections of really simple music while Elgar's marches are full of "action" from the beginning to the end. The average complexity of long works is low. Same with Elgar's oratorios. The most simple passages are simple but the most complex parts are "out of this world".

Never underestimate Elgar. He is an unbelievable composer. It's not a shame to be second to him!

Quote from: karlhenning on April 24, 2007, 10:34:56 AM
Thanks for the link, 71 dB.  Will listen later.

Thank you Karl for your interest!  ;)

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 11:09:58 AM
Elgar's music is extremely complex, even his marches. The most complex 6 minutes of any given Mahler symphony may be more complex than a 6 minutes march by Elgar but the average complexity is lower. Mahler has long sections of really simple music while Elgar's marches are full of "action" from the beginning to the end. The average complexity of long works is low. Same with Elgar's oratorios. The most simple passages are simple but the most complex parts are "out of this world".

Never underestimate Elgar. He is an unbelievable composer. It's not a shame to be second to him!

Thank you Karl for your interest!  ;)
so you have both Mahler and Elgar scores to compare them?

71 dB

Quote from: greg on April 24, 2007, 11:11:57 AM
so you have both Mahler and Elgar scores to compare them?

I don't have any scores. A score is a projectional representation of the music and gives a simplified picture of Elgar's multidimensional music. I compare what I hear.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 11:20:46 AM
I don't have any scores. A score is a projectional representation of the music and gives a simplified picture of Elgar's multidimensional music. I compare what I hear.
then you're talking about a completely different sense of complexity than what we're talking about

mahlertitan

Quote from: 71 dB on April 24, 2007, 11:20:46 AM

???

so you are saying you have a better way to analyze music than analyzing the score?

knight66

I am sorry, I ought not to have started this again....there is much to discuss without getting bogged down in the complex/not complex canard.

Mike

71 dB

Quote from: MahlerTitan on April 24, 2007, 11:25:44 AM
???

so you are saying you have a better way to analyze music than analyzing the score?

Analyzing the score may tell irrelevant things while what is heard is always relevant.
A score with infinite complexity is worthless if it sounds bad.

Analysing a score must be clever as the number of notes per bar does not equal complexity. One has to see how much musical information is "coded" in to the score. One note for flute may seem simple but the change in the timbre, harmonic tension, rhythm, etc. may have tons of musical relevance if the composer is a genius.