The Great Mahler Debate

Started by Greta, April 21, 2007, 08:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choo Choo

Maybe that is your place...?

greg

QuoteI am telling you the more I free think the more I wonder what is my place in this world.
It doesn't matter anyways, since eventually we'll all be history.

why don't u do a little free rapping instead  8)

$:)

greg

( 8)) i'm hiding from the police

greg

$:) (where can that thug be?)

greg

8) (yo, fo' shizzle i be hiding in a tree)

greg

see, you can always start with those lines....

$:) 8) ahhhhh!!!!!!!

71 dB

Hell, we all need a place in life! Something to offer to the world. A Job, life, everything...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2007, 11:00:20 AM
Hell, we all need a place in life! Something to offer to the world. A Job, life, everything...
that's why i thought you could best be a freestyle rapper, that's your place.

Steve

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2007, 09:44:21 AM
I am telling you the more I free think the more I wonder what is my place in this world.

Certainly not in the scientific community.....  ;D (kidding)

Danny

I saw a great free-style rap over Mahler's Ninth on MySpace.  Funky stuff!   ;D

greg

Quote from: Danny on May 06, 2007, 11:49:31 PM
I saw a great free-style rap over Mahler's Ninth on MySpace.  Funky stuff!   ;D
what, seriously?  :o
where did you see it?

Sydney Grew

Quote from: 71 dB on April 26, 2007, 01:03:33 PM. . . I continue listening to the symphonies but I still can't include Mahler among the greatest symphonists.

Mahler's trademark is to keep things simple. I constantly feel he does not take the music anywhere. Also, all movements sound alike. I don't know another composer whose fast and slow movements sound so similar. . . .

What a pleasure it is to find some one so well expressing one's own view! For indeed we said much the same HERE. The Eighth is his most worthwhile symphony, and it is also the least similar to the others.

A curious fact is that it is usually the Mahler-lovers who turn out to be the Shosta-cow-itch lovers too. Yet there is a difference: Mahler's long symphonies are not unpleasant to listen to - at least in the background while one is busily occupied with some other task - whereas Shosta-cow-itch's are for a sensitive and discriminating person intolerable in any setting.
Rule 1: assiduously address the what not the whom! Rule 2: shun bad language! Rule 3: do not deviate! Rule 4: be as pleasant as you can!

M forever

Just *how* do you come up with all that silly stuff? I have to admit there is some kind of negative genius shining through your nonsensical contributions sometimes. Are you currently on medication?

greg

Quote from: M forever on January 11, 2008, 06:50:11 PM
Just *how* do you come up with all that silly stuff? I have to admit there is some kind of negative genius shining through your nonsensical contributions sometimes. Are you currently on medication?
i don't think any amount of medication can cure someone of that strong a case of retardedness.

Haffner

Quote from: Sydney Grew on January 11, 2008, 05:16:26 PM
What a pleasure it is to find some one so well expressing one's own view! For indeed we said much the same HERE. The Eighth is his most worthwhile symphony, and it is also the least similar to the others.

A curious fact is that it is usually the Mahler-lovers who turn out to be the Shosta-cow-itch lovers too. Yet there is a difference: Mahler's long symphonies are not unpleasant to listen to - at least in the background while one is busily occupied with some other task - whereas Shosta-cow-itch's are for a sensitive and discriminating person intolerable in any setting.

Okayyy...

BachQ

What a pleasure it is to find some one so well expressing one's own view!

Yes, 71dB has a special, special gift in "expressing his own view" .......... Very special ......... very special ..........

Sergeant Rock

A curious fact is that it is usually the Mahler-lovers who turn out to be the Shosta-cow-itch lovers too.

Herr Professor Henning would disagree with that statement.

Yet there is a difference: Mahler's long symphonies are not unpleasant to listen to - at least in the background while one is busily occupied with some other task

Mahler as easy listening music?   :D ...astonishing.

whereas Shosta-cow-itch's are for a sensitive and discriminating person intolerable in any setting.

We contend that it is completely possible to be a sensitive and discriminating person and still possess a pair of balls and the ability to use your ears like a man.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

BachQ

Quote from: 71 dB on April 26, 2007, 01:52:23 PM
Based on what I have heard so far I'd like Mahler 4 times denser

(priceless)

Haffner

Quote from: Dm on January 13, 2008, 06:33:04 AM
(priceless)

(laughing uproariously with Dmitri)

Mahler's 3rd in particular...how rudimentary!

PSmith08

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 13, 2008, 05:58:46 AM
We contend that it is completely possible to be a sensitive and discriminating person and still possess a pair of balls and the ability to use your ears like a man.

Sarge

Funniest thing I have ever heard in a Mahler context.