Ottevanger's Omphaloskeptic Outpost

Started by lukeottevanger, April 06, 2007, 02:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 29, 2024, 07:46:00 AMHow wonderful and lovely to read, and warm congratulations already!

Amen!  😇

Excellent news, Luke!

How are things going at home?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Luke

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Luke

Yes, I know, it means a lot  :)

Cato

Quote from: Luke on March 30, 2024, 03:20:22 PMYes, I know, it means a lot  :)

What an ordeal!  Prayers and prayers and more prayers for you and the family!

Ohio is home to the Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation: we will make a pilgrimage there for Philippa!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Luke

You are both very good friends and supports. Thank you  :)  :)

Florestan

May God give you both strength, courage and determination to overcome all difficulties. I too will pray for you.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Luke

Luke

Odd question:

my book's editor has a technical problem with the file I have sent him. At random points blue boxes as in the attached screenshot appear when he opens it. They are invisible to me in my original document, which makes them hard to sort at my end, and he doesn't know what they are, but they mean he can't format the text properly. Does anyone have any idea what they are and how to remove them?

Luke

I should probably post this question elsewhere than this little-visited thread, actually, but I'm not sure where. Diner perhaps?

Luke

Good idea, thanks....but I just stuck something in the Diner!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Luke on April 03, 2024, 03:34:01 PMGood idea, thanks....but I just stuck something in the Diner!
Fine. Good luck!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

I think that is more embarrassing that your editor doesn't know how to use Word!  On the top he needs to type in "show/hide editing marks" and then click it.

Luke

;D It's 4.00 a.m. here but I'll try that on him in a few hours!

Luke

I theorized that it was some trace of something in the text's editing history. Personally I can't get it to display like that no matter how I try to show 'track changes' etc. But it's what seems most likely to me.

Karl Henning

QuoteHowever, he's solved the problem by opening the file in a different app and converting it. So thanks for all your suggestions - I hope it's all OK now.

Va bene!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Luke

Now we're disagreeing over the subtitle! I thought I could send it off and let him get on with it, but I sense this will be difficult!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Luke on April 04, 2024, 05:36:06 AMNow we're disagreeing over the subtitle! I thought I could send it off and let him get on with it, but I sense this will be difficult!
So close!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Luke on April 03, 2024, 07:08:31 PMI theorized that it was some trace of something in the text's editing history. Personally I can't get it to display like that no matter how I try to show 'track changes' etc. But it's what seems most likely to me.

You should just tell him "hey who is the editor here??!" :D

Luke

Well to be fair he did sort it out by himself, and the problem was at his end - but only after having asked me to do it. But now I'm worrying about how much he's going to want to tweak the content of the book, if the subtitle is causing disagreement! I've taken a very long time getting it exactly as I want, so I don't think I could cope with that!