bwv 1080

Quote from: MrOsa on May 08, 2007, 11:05:52 AM
(salivating:)
Oooooh, I need to get that!!! :o

Stick with Vodka, sniffing that stuff can be dangerous

springrite

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 08, 2007, 11:09:11 AM
Stick with Vodka, sniffing that stuff can be dangerous

Sniffing? I am sure he's more virtuosic than that!

Maciek

Well, Luke, with the way this thread is going now I'm sure you couldn't be happier. >:D

Guido

I have literally no idea what happened after my last post - not one of the posts makes sense!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Maciek

Oh, as if your last post did make sense!

lukeottevanger

Guys, I am so grateful for the sterling work you've been conducting on behalf of my little old thread - I'm touched, I tell you   :-*  At last a flame war to call my very own!

Now, carry on...

karlhenning

Quote from: karlhenning on May 08, 2007, 10:55:20 AM
A man's stripper. <-- Family Friendly, Don't Worry!

You realize, this originated as a tool for editing Wagner scores and libretti.

Guido

Quote from: MrOsa on May 08, 2007, 11:42:23 AM
Oh, as if your last post did make sense!
Haha, well they do say that squirrels hate ducks!

What I meant was that I sensed the next comments were rather more nonsequitur as we moved into more post modern flaming.
Geologist.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: karlhenning on May 08, 2007, 11:50:15 AM
You realize, this originated as a tool for editing Wagner scores and libretti.

..until it was realised it was a little too delicate a tool for the task at hand.

lukeottevanger

Is
Quote from: Guido on May 08, 2007, 11:52:25 AM
post modern flaming
the sort of flaming that hangs its argument on spurious stylistic referentiality and quotation? ;D You big
Quote from: karlhenninggirlie-man
you

Maciek

Well, at least we're back on musical ground... ;D

Guido

This really isn't very convincing... why don't I start by posting a little message I sent to Sean:

QuoteI listened to Tosca, and I have to say that it's one of the strangest and if I'm being honest worst pieces I have heard that is considered to be 'major literature'. It's just melody! Where's the harmony and rhythm?!! It sounds like what I wish I could have composed aged 10 - is all Puccini's music as vacuous as this?

I was of course being a little facetious, but it really did mystefy me - why is this music seriously discussed? I understand (and appreciate even!) the lovely tunes, but given that that is all there is it makes for very unfulfilling and strangely dissapointing listening. I literally couldn't believe how little non-implied harmony there was!
Geologist.

Maciek

I... er... ehm... er...

(dumbfounded)

No, it's no use. How can I go into a flame war when I'm speechless...?

Anyway: I beg to differ. Puccini was for a long time my favorite opera composer, the only one apart from Szymanowski that I tolerated in fact. So... well... I'm just not buying what you wrote there! Come on, Tosca is amazing! I don't even understand what you mean, saying there's no harmony there - but of course there is!!!

Maciek

Who is the better opera composer - Puccini or Luke. Well, that's an entirely different question (especially assuming Luke hasn't composed an opera so far)...

Maciek

bwv 1080

well Luke this thread should have given you the inspiration for your first opera: a pastiche of cut up Wagner scores and libretti all done under the influnce of huffing paint stripper.

Guido

Why is Tosca amazing? I was so bored by the the end of it - just a collection of mawkish (I use that word too much, but I love it!) tunes pasted together to form a dramatic but painfully dull story.

I know there is harmony (again I was being a little inflammatory!), but its just so simplistic whenever anyone is singing that I found it laughable.

All of it is effects...

I realise I must be missing something, because it is not famous for no reason - maybe I should just try listening to some of the other operas, and just get into it that way. (I have begun to appreciate Mahler in a similar way). I just feel that the music is insincere and has too much surface emotion, without saying anything truly meaningful. Give me Vanessa or Tristan any day (two operas recently discovered by me.)

(BTW - I know this is all a deeply heretical line to take, and that its essentially a prolonged and uninteresting insight into my struggles to understand music that people usually have no trouble liking and understanding. But you guys are always so helpful! Why is that I like so much music that other people find difficult and abstruse, and find so much standard fair so difficult to listen to?)
Geologist.

Mark G. Simon

Guido, you are certainly kinder to Tosca than Joseph Kerman, whose roasting of the opera contains such phrases as "shabby little shocker", "... of café music banality throughout", and "the orchestra screams the first thing that comes into its head".

Guido

Haha... I'll have to look his stuff up!
Geologist.