Rochberg's Rowhouse

Started by jlaurson, June 19, 2009, 01:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I had intended in my post to mention Albany-the record company that is :)

For a time Albany seemed to be developing a catalogue which would fill in a number of the gaps in the kind of repertoire to which I was referring. They reissued a number of the old Louisville recordings and had the Albany Symphony Orchestra(ok its not the New York Phil. but never mind) under David Allan Miller record some Creston, Harris, Persichetti, Mennin etc.. But now that seems to have largely dried up. The Albany catalogue now is concentrated on really, really obscure stuff or the complete symphonies of Don Gillis(!!) played by orchestras like the Sinfonia Varsovia or the Czech National Radio SO. Why they are not using their local orchestra or a local conductor who likes this type of music is a mystery to me!

Delos was another US company and they recorded all the Hanson symphonies and some of the Piston and Schuman with the Seattle SO under Schwarz. But they too seem to have given up :(

And..as I have moaned ad nauseum on this forum..the First Edition Music plan to reissue all the old Louisville recordings fell to pieces too :( :(

jlaurson

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 24, 2009, 03:49:45 AM
The Albany catalogue now is concentrated on really, really obscure stuff or the complete symphonies of Don Gillis(!!) played by orchestras like the Sinfonia Varsovia or the Czech National Radio SO. Why they are not using their local orchestra or a local conductor who likes this type of music is a mystery to me!

Delos was another US company and they recorded all the Hanson symphonies and some of the Piston and Schuman with the Seattle SO under Schwarz. But they too seem to have given up :(

And..as I have moaned ad nauseum on this forum..the First Edition Music plan to reissue all the old Louisville recordings fell to pieces too :( :(

Well, part of your wish is going to be fulfilled. The new conductor of the Sinfonia Varsovia is American. (And he's got a GREAT reputation.)
Quite frankly, I trust them to do more justice to some American works than minor American orchestras. (The quality difference among great European and American orchestras (and in the AA-rank) may be nil, but the quality difference between European B- and C- orchestras and their American counterparts is, with very few exceptions, HUGE.)

If anything, these American composers should be featured by second tier American orchestras (A- to BBB, if we use these ratings) like St.Louis, Houston, Detroit, NSO Washington, Baltimore and the like. Given the right conductor and the right mood, they can sound pretty good. Alsop would be such an obvious first choice for anything that brings her enough publicity.  ;D)

But Rochberg's 2nd really needs to be played by Welser-Moest (only if he, too, digs the music) and Cleveland (the orchestra that premiered it under Szell), Salonen (guesting the LAPhil, maybe), Muti in Chicago, or Robertson when he takes over the Philadelphia Orchestra. :-)

not edward

Quote from: jlaurson on June 24, 2009, 05:29:33 AM
But Rochberg's 2nd really needs to be played by Welser-Moest (only if he, too, digs the music) and Cleveland, Salonen (guesting the LAPhil, maybe), Muti in Chicago, or Roberson when he takes over the Philadelphia Orchestra. :-)
Very much agree. I would love to hear what a world-class US orchestra would do with this piece with a major conductor conducting it.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Has anyone heard Rochberg's 1st Symphony? Reading some reviews of it has made me very intrigued.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Contents Under Pressure on July 13, 2009, 01:31:08 AM
Has anyone heard Rochberg's 1st Symphony? Reading some reviews of it has made me very intrigued.

Yet again on this damn board, I have to answer my own question  >:D

I've listened to this 1st Symphony a couple of times now, and it really is quite staggering. It's an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink anarcho-symphony, similar to Shostakovich's 4th in the way it creates a strange sense of unity by gathering the most heterogeneous elements together in one place and letting them clash with each other. Parallels with Mahler and Schnittke come up as well, which is interesting because it long predates anything by Schnittke. Sure, it has flaws and excesses, but it's a load of fun.

I now think that my first experience of Rochberg (the dour and derivative 5th Symphony) gave me the wrong impression of this composer. The more I listen, the more interesting he becomes. (Chamber music will be next - I've got the quartets on the way.)

DavidW

Thanks for the post Contents.  Wait that sounded weird! :D

I've been interested in trying out Rochberg simply because Classics Today keeps handing out those 10/10 reviews.  Maybe I will... :)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: DavidW on October 04, 2009, 06:56:05 AM
Thanks for the post Contents.  Wait that sounded weird! :D

I've been interested in trying out Rochberg simply because Classics Today keeps handing out those 10/10 reviews.  Maybe I will... :)

I like the 2nd Sym. and the VC most. But hey, start anywhere - it's Naxos after all  :)

DavidW

Quote from: Contents Under Pressure on October 04, 2009, 07:04:39 AM
I like the 2nd Sym. and the VC most. But hey, start anywhere - it's Naxos after all  :)

Cool beans I can start there. :)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Any opinions on Rochberg's piano music? I see that Naxos has already released 3 discs of it. This rave review piqued my interest:

http://www.audaud.com/article?ArticleID=7728

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Piano Quintet

I've been listening to the only existing recording of Rochberg's Piano Quintet. It's a Nonesuch LP, and like so many Nonesuch records, has never been issued on CD.

This is a huge, expansive chamber work (7 movements, 45 minutes). If you've heard the Concord Quartets, imagine them + a piano, + a lot of Schumann or Brahms influence, and you'll get the quintet's basic sound.

Despite the repetition of certain structural elements, overall it presents a picture of stasis, with episodes succeeding each other and not interacting in a way that reminds me of Messiaen, but in a more conservative style.

An interesting work, but (as often with this composer) it comes across as too long. Some judicious trimming might have helped. I do like the 7-mvt. structure though.

Mandryka

Rochberg Quartet 3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mV0zKLbJs

Silvestrov Quartet 1 (I've not heard this performance.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MWYHb3SF19M&t=4s&pp=ygUUc2lvdmVzdHJvdiBxdWFydGV0IDE%3D

Former big influence on the latter - it's interesting to compare and contrast because you can hear the influence and you can also hear the enormous difference in style - and I'd say quality. IMO Rochberg can't hold a candle to Silvestrov - I expect some people will feel the opposite!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen