Previous topic - Next topic

Great Gable

Quote from: Harry on November 14, 2007, 02:32:24 AM
Well I don't, always follow my own heart, head..... ;D

Quite - don't follow the heart - that way lies ruin

Thom

Agreed, back to Elgar.

I find his Dream of Geromtius a very moving piece indeed. I have this recording

Edward ELGAR The Dream of Gerontius Richard Lewis, Dame Janet Baker, Kim Borg The combined Hallé Choir and Sheffield Philharmonic Chorus Conducted by Sir John Barbirolli EMI CZS5 73579 2; 2 CDs [98:15]

O that voice of Dame Janet Baker, unsurpassed I think.

Harry

Quote from: Thom on November 14, 2007, 02:42:02 AM
Agreed, back to Elgar.

I find his Dream of Geromtius a very moving piece indeed. I have this recording

Edward ELGAR The Dream of Gerontius Richard Lewis, Dame Janet Baker, Kim Borg The combined Hallé Choir and Sheffield Philharmonic Chorus Conducted by Sir John Barbirolli EMI CZS5 73579 2; 2 CDs [98:15]

O that voice of Dame Janet Baker, unsurpassed I think.

The pieces I heard from it, may well be the igniting of buying this work.
It is indeed beautifully written. :)

Thom

Quote from: Harry on November 14, 2007, 02:46:59 AM
The pieces I heard from it, may well be the igniting of buying this work.
It is indeed beautifully written. :)

I know I am (and I think you also) not always inclined towards vocal works but this is definitely worth while.

Thom

It may have been reported before on this Forum but on Youtube you can find real footage of the grand old man himself. See for instance:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=gxqFdcZz974

Harry

Good link Thom, I urge everyone with a interest to see it....

Thom

Quote from: Harry on November 14, 2007, 03:19:23 AM
Good link Thom, I urge everyone with a interest to see it....

and there are more! For instance, at home in his garden playing with his spaniel Marco. Endearing footage.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=0y5LtycnkoM

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Harry on November 13, 2007, 10:46:27 PM
Well I do not know what is removed from my thread, but if Mike is getting angry he is getting even, right. ;D
I will see what it was in my email notification
It was a interesting read what was in my email, and I agree with Mike, some of it was pretty disgusting.
It came from the people I expected this from. Why they lack the ability to discuss fair and square is beyond me, for there was really insulting stuff there, and I did not deserve that. However I am made of sterner stuff these days, and it will not touch me.
But it was a right decision to remove the postings for they were not funny as Thom said.
I am a friendly person, and I would never harm anyone on purpose. Neither did I rant in a negative way about Wagner as Perfect Wagnerite said.
Some of the people are old enough to be wise enough, and not participating in such bashing. The why is really eluding me.....
But I learned a thing or two about some posters that stood in high regard on this forum for me. That has effectively be ended now. And about this I am heartily sorry, I really am....
I leave the thread open, maybe there are posters willing to take up the good work, and give Elgar back his right place...

Very interesting that Harry, who started this thread knowing full well it could devolve into a war, is now playing the wounded innocent.

Thom

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on November 14, 2007, 03:49:14 AM
Very interesting that Harry, who started this thread knowing full well it could devolve into a war, is now playing the wounded innocent.

This is plain simple an invitation to shut down this thread. Very unwise Larry. Please stop it now.

Mark

Quote from: Thom on November 14, 2007, 03:52:40 AM
This is plain simple an invitation to shut down this thread. Very unwise Larry. Please stop it now.

To be honest, I think this thread has run its course. Why not decamp to Elgar's Hillside to continue discussion of the composer and his works?

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Thom on November 14, 2007, 03:52:40 AM

Right. Defend Harry at all costs. I'm done here.

Harry

Quote from: Mark on November 14, 2007, 03:56:01 AM
To be honest, I think this thread has run its course. Why not decamp to Elgar's Hillside to continue discussion of the composer and his works?

There is nothing wrong with this thread, and there is no need to decamp.
If everybody is friendly enough, all will be fine.

Harry

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on November 14, 2007, 03:49:14 AM

I am not playing anything.
But being attacked like this is unnecesarry Larry.
It will solve nothing, and only bring war at our doorstep.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Harry on November 14, 2007, 04:01:52 AM
I am not playing anything.
But being attacked like this is unnecesarry Larry.
It will solve nothing, and only bring war at our doorstep.

A war you started. Hypocrite.

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on November 14, 2007, 12:07:15 AM
I am very confident I am right saying Elgar was a remarkable composer.

Well, that is a reasonable statement.

I only wish, Poju, that all your statements on the subject were so reasonable.  Once you get into "brainwashed" or "vibrational field" territory, you seem to have convinced yourself that you have succeeded in nailing jell-o to the wall.

Harry

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on November 14, 2007, 04:03:06 AM
A war you started. Hypocrite.

My thread started out just fine Larry, and I am far from being a Hypocrite.
Look into your own heart my friend, and try to find some warmth for me....

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on November 14, 2007, 04:03:42 AM
Well, that is a reasonable statement.

I only wish, Poju, that all your statements on the subject were so reasonable.  Once you get into "brainwashed" or "vibrational field" territory, you seem to have convinced yourself that you have succeeded in nailing jell-o to the wall.

In time the rough edges Poju possesses will disappear too, I have no fear....

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Harry on November 14, 2007, 04:04:23 AM
My thread started out just fine Larry, and I am far from being a Hypocrite.
Look into your own heart my friend, and try to find some warmth for me....

Blah blah blah . . .

Harry

These are to remarkable recordings I have played the last couple of days, to keep in mind, what we are talking about or should...

Harry

And into the bargain these fine interpretations from Solti, for me still on top...