Started by Harry, November 13, 2007, 12:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on November 14, 2007, 04:11:09 AM
Blah blah blah . . .

The same thing my new godchild is babbling, very interesting Larry ;D ;D

Hector

Quote from: Mark on November 14, 2007, 03:56:01 AM
To be honest, I think this thread has run its course. Why not decamp to Elgar's Hillside to continue discussion of the composer and his works?

Thank heavens for that.

Any Elgar thread, though, tends to suck in the 'Usual Suspects.'

I do not know why, though, have they not had enough or is it a drug of which they must partake?

The detractors, I mean, not those of us who have positive things to say about the music and do not recognise the 'turgid' (the usual cliche) in any of it.

<sigh> :'(

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Hector on November 14, 2007, 06:24:03 AM
Thank heavens for that.

I do not know why, though, have they not had enough or is it a drug of which they must partake?

The detractors, I mean, not those of us who have positive things to say about the music and do not recognise the 'turgid' (the usual cliche) in any of it.

<sigh> :'(

Good to know you're staying above the fray and not attacking anybody else.

And of course, one must be careful not to express any criticism of this composer; else the Thought Police will come down on you.  :D

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Bonehelm on November 14, 2007, 12:33:04 AM
Of course you are right about that. Otherwise textbooks and scholars wouldn't be suggesting Elgar as one of the most significant composers in the 20th century. But what you are wrong about, is that some of the posters here are inable to realize or appreciate what you think is good music because they are "brainwashed". You are in no position (neither is any of us here) to make faulty assumptions or call others bad names  just because they have different tastes. A lot of personal attacks thrown your way were due to anger and frustration caused  by reading your posts about how your favourite composer is somehow better than other's favourite, and how Bruckner wrote his 8th 5 times less sophisticated than an Elgar symphony. You should always keep in mind that you and NO ONE should make big statements like that without support backing themselves up. You and your failure to prove that Elgar was more sophisticated in orchestration with specific examples like posting up a score and discuss about it is the main thing people are after. If you merely stated your views and thoughts about your favourite composer, believe me, 90% or even 95% of the posts against you and Elgar could be prevented, reflected by the number of members here that actually like Elgar deep down.

So you're on the right track, finally--just stay away for a while and let all this madness calm down, you, Elgar haters, admirers, D minor D major, Karl, whoever. And when all of this slowly dies down maybe someone will finally make meaningful Elgar appreciation threads that enable all of us to share our ideas and thoughts on this favourite composers of yours without getting bashed on by the rest of the forum.

That's all I have to say. Hope you have the chance to read it.

Very intelligently stated, Bone. And particularly the following:

QuoteYou should always keep in mind that you and NO ONE should make big statements like that without support backing themselves up. You and your failure to prove that Elgar was more sophisticated in orchestration with specific examples like posting up a score and discuss about it is the main thing people are after.

karlhenning

Quote from: Hector on November 14, 2007, 06:24:03 AM

Well, and this isn't your average "any Elgar thread";  its entire raison d'être, stated in Post Numero Uno, is a Poju Support Group (puh-leeeze):

Quote from: Harry on November 13, 2007, 12:58:56 AM
That I side with Poju in his admiration for this composer may be clear.

JoshLilly

"raison d'être"

Not a bad beer at all.  I'm not usually into the flavoured gimmicky stuff, but there are about 3 or 4 that I like, and this one stands at the top. Mmm...beer. That's what this thread really needs.

EmpNapoleon

Quote from: Harry on November 14, 2007, 04:01:52 AM
It will solve nothing, and only bring war at our doorstep.

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on November 14, 2007, 04:03:06 AM
A war you started. Hypocrite.

Elgar wars?  Are you guys serious?  It's going to get dangerous in here.  Has anybody died yet in a GMG war?  I think back to the Mahler-Bruckner massacre with a tear in my eye.  This good taste v. good taste has to stop. 

johnQpublic

Yep. These Elgar threads can drive a man to drink.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: JoshLilly on November 14, 2007, 07:22:36 AM
"raison d'être"

Not a bad beer at all.  I'm not usually into the flavoured gimmicky stuff, but there are about 3 or 4 that I like, and this one stands at the top. Mmm...beer. That's what this thread really needs.

You mean a reason for existence? :D There was a time Dogfish wouldn't distribute to New York, and now I find they're got a beer distributor not 15 miles from where I live. Must give that raison d'être a try. (Burp.)

JoshLilly

They're a winner because of their 90-Minute IPA. Not a true IPA in that British sense, but better (more malt). It's a real masterpiece. I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you try that one. It's even more subtle, nuanced, and flavourful than the Raison D'être.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: JoshLilly on November 14, 2007, 07:33:30 AM
They're a winner because of their 90-Minute IPA. Not a true IPA in that British sense, but better (more malt). It's a real masterpiece. I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you try that one. It's even more subtle, nuanced, and flavourful than the Raison D'être.

Thank you immensely for that, Joshua! finally, a raison for this thread d'être!

JoshLilly

Lethevich

Quote from: JoshLilly on November 14, 2007, 07:22:36 AM
"raison d'être"

A decent band too... :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

I'd rather have a beer with Elgar, than read half of any of his threads   8)

bwv 1080

This thread demands stronger stuff

I think Elgar would agree

karlhenning

"After half a bot of this, even the vibrational fields stuff starts to make a little sense . . . ."

Harry

This thread is closed, thanks to the usual suspects.
Thank you for again hijjacking this thread.
At least Poju is not responsable this time.
All the people that meant well I thank most kindly.
Those that wrecked it, should be ashamed of themselves.
I know them and I will remember it.