Adams' Apple-Cart (John Coolidge, that is!)

Started by Greta, November 13, 2007, 01:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 18, 2012, 05:01:30 AM
Why is there so little appreciation for Adams here on GMG?

Harmonielehre is one of my favourite works. Listening to it now in fact, mainly to get me even more excited about the new release of the piece from the SFO/MTT. Anyone else as excited? Will hopefully get some more excitement here, more so than I got on the 'New Releases' thread at least! ;)
[asin]B0074B2MV8[/asin]

Such an amazing piece! Certainly very inspiring for my own music also. Lets raise Adams' popularity here on GMG! :D

This looks like it's going to be a good release. I'll probably buy it (eventually). I'm not sure why John Adams isn't more popular around here, but it's also not surprising or shouldn't be because Adams has many detractors. I personally enjoy his music, but he has composed some first-rate junk in his career. Some personal favorites: Naive & Sentimental Music, Violin Concerto, Harmonielehre, and The Dharma at Big Sur.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2012, 06:10:03 AM
This looks like it's going to be a good release. I'll probably buy it (eventually). I'm not sure why John Adams isn't more popular around here, but it's also not surprising or shouldn't be because Adams has many detractors. I personally enjoy his music, but he has composed some first-rate junk in his career. Some personal favorites: Naive & Sentimental Music, Violin Concerto, Harmonielehre, and The Dharma at Big Sur.

Glad to know you enjoy his music too, John. Yes, I did notice that there are quite a few people who seem to hate Adams' music... I suppose some people just can't deal with minimalism altogether. I love it though!
It certainly does look like a good release... I am really very excited about it! This will be the third recording won't it? The Rattle is excellent, but I haven't heard the De Waart.
Two interesting links about the release here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdz5QOaqpbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHDJQ_kfmCg&feature=relmfu

I love all the Adams I have heard so far. Harmonielehre would have to be one of my all time favourites though. I am thinking of listening to the 'Doctor Atomic' Symphony next. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Luke

Silence about a composer needn't mean that no one likes him, or even that there are detractors here. In the 12+  years I've been on this board and its predecessors I've been involved in plenty of good discussions about Adams, a composer whose work I often adore (I think I have every piece of his committed to CD and quite a few committed only to vinyl too, plus scores of many of his major works).

My favourite pieces of Adams, FWIW (which isn't much) -

Harmonium
Harmonielehre
The Dharma at Big Sur (for me the most successful of his more recent pieces)
Chamber Symphony 1
The Wound Dresser

but there are som many fabulous curios in his oeuvre which are all well-worth exploring

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Luke on February 18, 2012, 07:46:18 AM

Harmonium
Harmonielehre
Chamber Symphony 1
The Wound Dresser

Everyone seems to be praising the Dharma, and since I like everything else on Luke's list, I guess I should get hold of it. In fact, I haven't listened to any Adams for a couple of years - might be time for a revisit.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Luke on February 18, 2012, 07:46:18 AM
Silence about a composer needn't mean that no one likes him, or even that there are detractors here. In the 12+  years I've been on this board and its predecessors I've been involved in plenty of good discussions about Adams, a composer whose work I often adore (I think I have every piece of his committed to CD and quite a few committed only to vinyl too, plus scores of many of his major works).

Harmonium
Harmonielehre
Chamber Symphony 1
The Wound Dresser

but there are som many fabulous curios in his oeuvre which are all well-worth exploring

This is true, Luke. I shouldn't have assumed that just because people don't talk about Adams on GMG it doesn't mean people dislike the music. This said, from your list the only one I'm very unsure about is Chamber Symphony. I don't recall liking it when I first heard it, listened to it again a couple of months ago, and still I don't find the work that that interesting. I find Grand Pianola Music more to my liking (since this work is coupled with Chamber Symphony). Anyway, yes, Harmonium and Harmonielehre are, in my estimate, masterworks. The Wound Dresser I need to listen to again as it's been too long. I only own the Nonesuch recording of it (coupled with Fearful Symmetries). The Dharma at Big Sur is classic Adams. It has the spirit and freedom of his early works, but with the new sophistication of his recent work.

Mirror Image

I wonder if City Noir will ever make it onto CD? I don't want Dudamel's performance. I'd like to hear a Nonesuch production maybe with John Adams conducting LA Philharmonic, BBC Symphony Orchestra, or Orchestra of St. Luke's.

lescamil

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2012, 01:41:33 PM
I wonder if City Noir will ever make it onto CD? I don't want Dudamel's performance. I'd like to hear a Nonesuch production maybe with John Adams conducting LA Philharmonic, BBC Symphony Orchestra, or Orchestra of St. Luke's.

I've heard both John Adams and Dudamel conduct City Noir, and, believe me, you are not missing much. It is a nebulous monstrosity of work that ultimately goes nowhere. If there's anything "Los Angeles" about it (take it from me, I'm a native Angelino), it's that it reminds me of the daily morning gridlock on the 10 freeway. It has its moments of excitement and brilliant orchestral flourishes and colors, but ultimately it seems all for naught.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Mirror Image

Quote from: lescamil on May 07, 2012, 02:26:07 PM
I've heard both John Adams and Dudamel conduct City Noir, and, believe me, you are not missing much. It is a nebulous monstrosity of work that ultimately goes nowhere. If there's anything "Los Angeles" about it (take it from me, I'm a native Angelino), it's that it reminds me of the daily morning gridlock on the 10 freeway. It has its moments of excitement and brilliant orchestral flourishes and colors, but ultimately it seems all for naught.

That's what I was afraid of --- all flash, no substance.

madaboutmahler

Listening to Waart's performance of Harmonielehre on the recommendation of John. It is certainly amazing.

Through this listening, I have come to love the piece even more. The sound worlds really fascinate and move me. Highly beautiful!

It was around this time last year that I was first introduced to the piece, by my friend, Alexander Prior (I'm sure you'll remember him, John! ;) ). He was giving me a few conducting lessons, and this led to him showing me the score of Harmonielehre. And of course, that led to him playing a little bit to me. I was absolutely amazed. The music really excited me. When I got home, I went straight to go and listen to the piece in full.

Such a great piece. I really hope I'll be able to get the MTT really soon! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Just ended. Absolutely amazing!!!!! :) Such a thrilling finale!!!!

Thank you very much for suggesting that I should listen to this performance, John! Excellent! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 08, 2012, 11:33:56 AM
Listening to Waart's performance of Harmonielehre on the recommendation of John. It is certainly amazing.

Through this listening, I have come to love the piece even more. The sound worlds really fascinate and move me. Highly beautiful!

It was around this time last year that I was first introduced to the piece, by my friend, Alexander Prior (I'm sure you'll remember him, John! ;) ). He was giving me a few conducting lessons, and this led to him showing me the score of Harmonielehre. And of course, that led to him playing a little bit to me. I was absolutely amazed. The music really excited me. When I got home, I went straight to go and listen to the piece in full.

Such a great piece. I really hope I'll be able to get the MTT really soon! :)

Alexander Prior introduced you to this work? Oh dear. Well I'll still bash Philip Glass when I have the chance! ;) :D

Yeah Daniel, Waart's performance is certainly good. I'm listening to the Robertson performance right now and I'm really impressed with it so far. It was downloaded at a high bit rate too (320 kbps) so it sounds excellent. Like the MTT, this is a live performance.

There's something so compelling about this music and I think one of the things that won me over was the fact that there's so many strains of different kinds of music inside of this work but everything is so seamless and flowing. There's also a poignant lyricism that runs deeply through each movement. This is a work I've really come to love and be moved by.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 08, 2012, 11:45:59 AM
Alexander Prior introduced you to this work? Oh dear. Well I'll still bash Philip Glass when I have the chance! ;) :D

Yeah Daniel, Waart's performance is certainly good. I'm listening to the Robertson performance right now and I'm really impressed with it so far. It was downloaded at a high bit rate too (320 kbps) so it sounds excellent. Like the MTT, this is a live performance.

There's something so compelling about this music and I think one of the things that won me over was the fact that there's so many strains of different kinds of music inside of this work but everything is so seamless and flowing. There's also a poignant lyricism that runs deeply through each movement. This is a work I've really come to love and be moved by.

haha ;)

Glad you are enjoying the Robertson performance! I wonder if any other conductors plan on taking up Harmonielehre... Adams is conducting the LSO in it here himself live sometime next year. I would love to go, not sure if I'll be able to though....

I completely agree with what you are saying about the work. I have really come to love and be moved by it too. Such a masterpiece!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 08, 2012, 12:36:15 PM
haha ;)

Glad you are enjoying the Robertson performance! I wonder if any other conductors plan on taking up Harmonielehre... Adams is conducting the LSO in it here himself live sometime next year. I would love to go, not sure if I'll be able to though....

I completely agree with what you are saying about the work. I have really come to love and be moved by it too. Such a masterpiece!

Daniel, you should try and make it that Adams LSO concert. You may be able to meet the composer and he can autograph that MTT recording (assuming you'll own at t his point).

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 08, 2012, 12:38:35 PM
Daniel, you should try and make it that Adams LSO concert. You may be able to meet the composer and he can autograph that MTT recording (assuming you'll own at t his point).

I would certainly love to. And will try to. If it's on a Saturday, my Academy friends and I can go to it together and go backstage afterwards! It certainly would be quite amazing to meet Adams. And many of my Academy friends are big Adams fans! My dad is not such a big Adams fan. I don't think he has heard Harmonielehre yet though, maybe this work will change his mind about Adams. It's just a matter of whether I can get him to listen to it! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 08, 2012, 12:42:37 PM
I would certainly love to. And will try to. If it's on a Saturday, my Academy friends and I can go to it together and go backstage afterwards! It certainly would be quite amazing to meet Adams. And many of my Academy friends are big Adams fans! My dad is not such a big Adams fan. I don't think he has heard Harmonielehre yet though, maybe this work will change his mind about Adams. It's just a matter of whether I can get him to listen to it! :)

If you're Dad has an open-mind about music, then I think he'll come to appreciate Adams' music.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 08, 2012, 12:50:17 PM
If you're Dad has an open-mind about music, then I think he'll come to appreciate Adams' music.

I think he will too. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

After 15 years still my favorite Adams disc and piece, Grand Pianola Music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 08, 2012, 01:21:51 PM

After 15 years still my favorite Adams disc and piece, Grand Pianola Music.

A great recording no doubt. Grand Pianola Music is one of many of my favorite Adams works.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I like that disc too, though mainly for the Chamber Symphony.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Lisztianwagner

I listened to Adams' Harmonielehre (Waart/San Francisco Symphony) after that work had been warmly recommended to me; it was wonderful, absolutely wonderful.
I really enjoyed the whole piece, which showed a brilliant orchestration and a splendid harmony, but I was particularly impressed by the second and the third movement, they were very expressive and thrilling. The climaxes used made me shudder, such a great, beautiful music!

I'm looking forward to listening to other Adams' compositions. :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler