Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

this really wasn't on my radar, but stumbled on a used copy for crazy low price and couldn't resist 8)
It's all good...

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 15, 2024, 04:33:17 AMthis really wasn't on my radar, but stumbled on a used copy for crazy low price and couldn't resist 8)

That is a magnificent set! It was released when a complete conductor editions was a new thing. They have subsequently released the material broken up into smaller sets with supposedly better mastering, but I have never found any of the masters in the first set to be lacking.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ritter

From FNAC in Cannes, where I spent this week on business.

The 2001 CD on Sony of Saariaho music conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen, which included the song cycle Château de l'âme was my first contact with the composer's music. Having a new recording of this haunting score some 20 years later is nice (but I cannot think it'll surpass Dawn Upshaw's superb rendition). The other works on the disc seem to be first recordings.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 04, 2024, 07:27:59 AM[
JS Bach - Organ Works (Stockmeier - 20CD)

- Ordered 1st March from Momox (Medimops) on Ebay - 1 item in stock on this particular listing.
- Chased them on 9th March as nothing received and no advice of dispatch on ebay either.
- Answer received on 10th that there had been high demand and that the item had sold out and even though the system was updating every minute, it had let me order something that wasn't available anymore. Refund would be forthcoming.
- I highlighted to them that that same boxset was still showing as 1 available in an other listing and 4 in a third listing, 10 days after my order , in the same price range as my order. both on Ebay AND Medimops germany website.
- They basically ignored that bit and said the refund would be forthcoming.
- Jump to yesterday: still no advice of refund. Chased them again. Refund processed at their end- will take 3 to 5 days to reach my payment method. Still no advice of refund on ebay.

Never had any issues with Momox before but I can see a one-star review coming along.

To overcome the disappointment, I ordered, from a private seller, the Koopman Teldec set (16 CDs basically extracted from the JSB Teldec edition). Ordered on the 14th. Message received yesterday morning: Really sorry, turned the house inside out and I can't find the CDs anywhere. Order cancelled, Refund processed (Ebay advice received within the hour) and money back in my account this morning. Seller also advised that if he eventually finds the CDs, he would send them to me FOC.

There must be a God or some forces of Evil that do not want me to receive more Bach Organ cycles.

Decided to play it crafty and ordered this instead last night:

We'll see if it turns up or if things really happen in threes  :laugh:
Olivier

Jo498

It might be better to order directly from the momox site, or is ebay more convenient? They are usually fast and reliable but I also had one bad experience where they had simply forgotten to process the order. And when I complained a good week later or so their system was unable to fulfil it with delay/partially (although most of the items were still listed!) or they were simply too lazy! Refund was fast though, IIRC.
I try the attitude "you get what you pay for". They sell the stuff they mostly bought for pennies still very cheaply, and most of the workers are probably part time, badly paid.
I had worse experiences with other used sellers (or maybe it was the same, too long ago), the most curious were obviously burned discs with the cover copied! And they still wanted me to send it back to them! So I hope they didn't try to sell it to anyone else.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Papy Oli

Quote from: Jo498 on March 16, 2024, 02:26:19 AMIt might be better to order directly from the momox site, or is ebay more convenient? They are usually fast and reliable but I also had one bad experience where they had simply forgotten to process the order. And when I complained a good week later or so their system was unable to fulfil it with delay/partially (although most of the items were still listed!) or they were simply too lazy! Refund was fast though, IIRC.
I try the attitude "you get what you pay for". They sell the stuff they mostly bought for pennies still very cheaply, and most of the workers are probably part time, badly paid.
I had worse experiences with other used sellers (or maybe it was the same, too long ago), the most curious were obviously burned discs with the cover copied! And they still wanted me to send it back to them! So I hope they didn't try to sell it to anyone else.

I have ordered multiples times from them before without an issue. It is the first time it didn't go through, so I should give them some leeway for that maybe, even if the response level is not great.

They seem to have had lots of 1-star review this month...or maybe it is their normal level and it just gets buried %-wise month after month because of the high-volume of transactions...
Olivier

premont

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 16, 2024, 02:41:48 AMI have ordered multiples times from them before without an issue. It is the first time it didn't go through, so I should give them some leeway for that maybe, even if the response level is not great.

The Stockmeier set is certainly worth hearing, so it's a shame that you didn't receive it. During the last many years I have ordered different CDs from Momox' own site (via Amazon) many times without problems at all. BTW did you receive the Fagius set, which you also ordered?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Papy Oli

Quote from: premont on March 16, 2024, 03:19:29 AMThe Stockmeier set is certainly worth hearing, so it's a shame that you didn't receive it. During the last many years I have ordered different CDs from Momox' own site (via Amazon) many times without problems at all. BTW did you receive the Fagius set, which you also ordered?

Yes, the Fagius set arrived ok from a private seller. It is ripped, just in the re-tagging process. Not listened yet.

I'll get the Stockmeier at some point, whether I chance it again cheaply from momox or pay more from another seller, I'll see. Indeed, his set kept being mentioned positively in the Bach Organ thread (I have re-read it from page 1, now at page 100 - it is doing some damage to the wish list  :laugh:  )

I'll post there in due course  ;)
Olivier

Wanderer

premont

@Papy Oli When you look again for the Stockmeier set you may also take into account the Documents release which divides the integral between two boxes á 10 CDs each but which is sonically better than the single boxed Art & Music release.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 16, 2024, 03:26:24 AMYes, the Fagius set arrived ok from a private seller. It is ripped, just in the re-tagging process. Not listened yet.

I'll get the Stockmeier at some point, whether I chance it again cheaply from momox or pay more from another seller, I'll see. Indeed, his set kept being mentioned positively in the Bach Organ thread (I have re-read it from page 1, now at page 100 - it is doing some damage to the wish list  :laugh:  )

I'll post there in due course  ;)

The thing about Stockmeier which I find, is that it is somehow vey easy to listen to. Very agreeable. And there's loads of different organs too, so that adds a bit of extra interest.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

Quote from: premont on March 16, 2024, 04:06:26 AM@Papy Oli When you look again for the Stockmeier set you may also take into account the Documents release which divides the integral between two boxes á 10 CDs each but which is sonically better than the single boxed Art & Music release.

Ok noted, @premont , I'll keep an eye out for those as well.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mandryka on March 16, 2024, 04:24:52 AMThe thing about Stockmeier which I find, is that it is somehow vey easy to listen to. Very agreeable. And there's loads of different organs too, so that adds a bit of extra interest.

Both points increase my interest for it. Thanks @Mandryka .
Olivier

ritter

Quote from: Wanderer on March 16, 2024, 03:58:14 AM

Great stuff! Bianconi's Debussy was recommended to me by our departed fellow GMGer @Dancing Divertimentian , and I will always be grateful to him for that tip.

I don't know that particular Goerne disc, but it look very attractive. I have had the chance to see him live several times, including as Amfortas in a complete concert performance of Parsifal, and also in another occasion doing King Marke's monologue and Wotan's farewell. Perhaps Marke is not suited to his voice, but I've always liked the "lieder singer approach" to Wagner's bass-baritone roles.

EDIT (THREAD DUTY):

Ordered from Amazon.fr, where if was being offered new at a very attractive price:

TBH, the last thing I need is yet another complete set of Debussy's piano music. This 6-CD set, though, has a twist, as it emanates from radio programmes given by Philippe Cassard on Radio France between 2011 and 2015, in which he not only plays the music, but comments on it, I have read very good reviews on this, which say the set is quite illuminating. Voyons...

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on March 16, 2024, 05:49:42 AMGreat stuff! Bianconi's Debussy was recommended to me by our departed fellow GMGer @Dancing Divertimentian , and I will always be grateful to him for that tip.

I don't know that particular Goerne disc, but it look very attractive. I have had the chance to see him live several times, including as Amfortas in a complete concert performance of Parsifal, and also in another occasion doing King Marke's monologue and Wotan's farewell. Perhaps Marke is not suited to his voice, but I've always liked the "lieder singer approach" to Wagner's bass-baritone roles.

Both albums were on my amazon wishlists for a long time - a significant price drop (and for the Wagner, also my recent seeing of Die Walküre live) enticed hitting the buy button. Bianconi's Debussy Préludes are favourites and the Goerne Wagner 2-CD set of orchestral and vocal excerpts is also very well performed - I've been streaming and returning to both. Goerne's more "liederhaft" approach to Wagner I find very attractive - and I've always liked his voice (I've seen him live in Athens in a Schubert recital and possibly in something else I can't quite recall - I really should've kept a concert-going journal during my university student days!).

steve ridgway

I got this for a pound at an antique centre this morning.