The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 19, 2012, 05:46:49 AM
I was tempted but really, I have no need for yet more cycles of his organ music - glad to think that somebody who would actually listen to it might have got the copy I passed on.

It's only my 2nd complete cycle! :o And I am particularly interested in Bach's organ music. But I am not interested however, in either Marie Claire Alain or Helmut Walcha - and that comes a long way in terms of keeping the number down. 0:) I even managed to steer away from buying the - at times - comatose cycle by Weinberger - despite the HIP approach and the beautiful historical organs. ::)

Q

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

I have 3 cycles so far, and thought that enough too, although I am very interested in the Organ, to go again through 19 CD'S was a bit much for me, considering the pile that is waiting for my ears to give them attention. Still a excellent bargain!

nigeld

I see this Mercury Living Presence box is coming up for sale shortly.

[asin]B005XBA9Y8[/asin]

I bought and thoroughly enjoyed the RCA Living Stereo big box a while ago.  Can anyone comment (compare and contrast) this set against the RCA one?

Also does anyone know if this Mercury Living Presence box containes the SACD remasters or lower res cd version?

thanks

Nigel
Soli Deo Gloria

Lethevich

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 19, 2012, 09:46:07 PM
It's only my 2nd complete cycle! :o And I am particularly interested in Bach's organ music. But I am not interested however, in either Marie Claire Alain or Helmut Walcha - and that comes a long way in terms of keeping the number down. 0:) I even managed to steer away from buying the - at times - comatose cycle by Weinberger - despite the HIP approach and the beautiful historical organs. ::)

Walcha (Archiv) is currently my go-to *dives for cover* Those amazing, metallic, horror-movie sounding organs are amazing.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Henk

Mahler box set. Thinking about getting this one.

[asin]B003D0ZNWY[/asin]
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Henk on January 20, 2012, 12:01:24 PM

[asin]B003D0ZNWY[/asin]

Do!!! Many great performances in this set.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

kishnevi

[asin]B003D0ZNWY[/asin]

I prefer the DG box.  The EMI set is good because it emphasizes the historical recordings, but most if not all of those are available in one re-issued form or another (Great Recordings/Great Artists Of the Century, etc.), and much of the modern performances are provided by Rattle, and for some odd reason they picked out of some of his weaker performances (especially the 3rd).  The DG set is more focused on modern recordings--I think the oldest performance is Haitink from the 1960s--and spreads the conducting duties around (which means it misses out on some of the obvious picks) so you get a wider interpretive spread.

And btw (this being the Cheap Bargains thread) Arkivmusic has put the "People's Mahler" set on clearance for about $36US plus s/h--which may be of no use to you in Europe but might be of interest to those on this side of the pond.  Of course, that set is limited to the symphonies and has a whole bunch of recordings already found in the Complete DG box or otherwise readily available.

mc ukrneal

Prices seem to have come done in the second round at the Abeille sale. There are some deals to be had I think, depending on what you are looking for. Haydn Buchberger set is just EUR 16.77 for the set (EUR 14 without VAT). May be worth a second look.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Que

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 21, 2012, 12:24:11 AM
Prices seem to have come done in the second round at the Abeille sale. There are some deals to be had I think, depending on what you are looking for. Haydn Buchberger set is just EUR 16.77 for the set (EUR 14 without VAT). May be worth a second look.

It's the crazy shipping costs that are the problem, a burden that is only lifted when ordering 15 items or more...

Q

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 21, 2012, 01:52:44 AM
It's the crazy shipping costs that are the problem, a burden that is only lifted when ordering 15 items or more...

Q
Too true, but perhaps someone can take advantage anyway.

By the way, the Mahler Project Set (MTT) is on sale for 92 Euros to the US (ex VAT) if someone is able to find enough discs to make the shipping acceptable.

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 21, 2012, 01:52:44 AM

Q

Its lifted for me, ordered enough in the second go to be free of that shipping costs.

Coopmv

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 18, 2012, 11:36:27 AM
The price went up to 69,99! :o 

I'm soooo glad I ordered my copy right away - I just picked it up from the post office.

Q

You snooze, you lose.  I sat on this bookmark for a few days and the offer is gone as I did not have the time to search for other bargains at jpc that can help justify that shipping.  But 19.99 Euro for the set was a steal.  Unfortunately, the teaser may not come around again ...

Cascade

[asin]B003D0ZNWY[/asin]

Mine arrived today, ordered from JPC.de (http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Gustav-Mahler-1860-1911-S%E4mtliche-Werke-The-Complete-Works-EMI/hnum/6737970). Nice looking box-set. Only listened to a few pieces so far. I'm just getting to know the works of Mahler, so I figured for € 1,70 p/cd I could hardly go wrong.

The new erato

13 Euro for this set om amazon.es now:

[asin]B0027ZD0NK[/asin]

Will Sheard

Charles Munch - Late Romantic Masterpieces (RCA - 7CD)

This seven disc set is available at present on Amazon for $12.57.

[asin]B0056K4UV4[/asin]
Whoso would be a man must be a non-conformist - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Geo Dude

There are copies available on the marketplace from $16:

[asin]B00002MXXK[/asin]

In my opinion eleven discs of Bach for under $20 qualifies as a bargain if you're a harpsichord fan.

Que

Quote from: Geo Dude on February 04, 2012, 02:04:22 AM
There are copies available on the marketplace from $16:

[asin]B00002MXXK[/asin]

In my opinion eleven discs of Bach for under $20 qualifies as a bargain if you're a harpsichord fan.

Worth your while on account of Belder's Partitas alone IMO! :)

Q

mariawrites

Fantastic concept, been considering exactly the same

Klaze

Quote from: James on February 04, 2012, 02:25:42 PM

Samstag aus Licht, 4 disc set for 14.98.

Quote from: SellerThe discs look very nice they just have some weirdness to the top of the discs that doesn't affect play.

Stockhausen with extra weirdness on top, no, that's too much for me...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on February 04, 2012, 02:36:02 AM
Worth your while on account of Belder's Partitas alone IMO! :)

Q

All the clavier-übungs for harpsichord are played by Belder there and all of them are excellent, indeed.