The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Conor71 on July 28, 2012, 04:01:23 AM
I was able to get a used copy of this 6 Disc set for 2 pounds today - I thought it was a one-off but it looks like there are a couple more copies at this price if anyone is interested :)
Note: The Sleeping Beauty in this set has been cut to fit on 2 Discs afaik the other Ballets are complete.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000026D4M/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Couldn't let this pass - what a bargain! It has gone up by around 20p by the time I get to it, but still can't resist! ;) Purchasing now. Thank you for telling us of this, Conor!

I agree - Previn is an amazing conductor, one of my favourites! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Conor71

Quote from: madaboutmahler on Today at 12:33:02 AM
Couldn't let this pass - what a bargain! It has gone up by around 20p by the time I get to it, but still can't resist! ;) Purchasing now. Thank you for telling us of this, Conor!

Awesome! - no worries Daniel, hope you enjoy the set!  :D
Edit: My copy just shipped today so looks like they are honouring the price :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Conor71 on July 29, 2012, 08:54:57 AM

Quote from: madaboutmahler on Today at 12:33:02 AM

That's great! Hope the seller I purchased it off will too! ;) Thank you, hope you enjoy it too, Conor! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Coopmv

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 29, 2012, 08:33:02 AM

Previn is a bit underrated IMO as a conductor.  Perhaps because of his background as a jazz pianist since mainstream classical musicians generally are not involved in other genre ...

Coopmv

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 29, 2012, 08:33:02 AM

You have good company.  I bought this set a few weeks ago but have yet to find the time to listen to the first CD ...

ammar

This 100CD Membran grab-bag of 'out of copyright' concerto recordings is now £28.99 on Amazon.co.uk via a marketplace seller. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001G8P3KM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I think it's also available from the same seller through Amazon.de , Amazon.fr , etc. (4 copies remaining as I type ;) )

Full contents - http://www.membran-online.de/product_info.php?products_id=818

Amongst the usual suspects there are some slightly more esoteric offerings eg. Bernstein's Facsimilie & Age of Anxiety , various Hindemith and Furtwangler concertos , etc.

'Fulfilled by Amazon', so free Super Saver delivery to boot  :)

jut1972

Yep, I posted it back on page 114 :D but good to see offer still on.  My german copy is in the post.  :)  There was a question about the contents as the membran site only describes 94 cds, I'll report back when it arrives wuth the details of the other 6.

ammar

Ah...  :( I see that your original post was lost in the acrimonious flurry that followed the Rise of the Masters 'discussion'   >:(

The price of the set had risen since then, but fell back to £28.99/euros this evening - as with any super bargain, be quick if you're interested.

Given that the seller is Grosser+Stein GmbH, I suspect that all copies will be dispatched from Germany regardless of which Amazon site the set is purchased (this despite the marketplace listing showing 'Music-Shop' as the seller ::) )

jut1972

Well my copy of the 100CD Meister Konzerte box turned up today from amazon Germany, ye gods... the box is enormous...

Earlier there was a question about the last 6 CDs as the official site only lists the first 94.  I can confirm they are not documentation but more recordings.

CD 95
Berg Violin Concerto
Schonberg piano concerto
Webern - variations for piano

CD96
Louis Spohr - Violin concerto
Johann Christoph Vogel - Premiere Symphonie Concertante

CD97
Delius - piano concerto
Elgar - Introduction and Allegro Op. 47
Britten - four interludes from Peter Grimes

CD98
Fritz Kriesler - Violin concerto
Beethoven - 2 Variations on Bei Mannern..from Die Zauberflote (mozart)
Mozart - Serenade number 13

CD99
Bizet / Franz Waxman - Carmen Fantasy
Dukas - Sorcerors apprentice
Berlioz- Overture to Benvenuto Cellini, Le Corsaire
Hungarian march from the damnation of faust

CD100
Glasunow- violin concerto
Borodin -steppes of central asia, polovetzian dances from prince igor
Mussorgsky - night on bare mountain
Gliere - Sailors dance from the red poppy
Khatchaturian - sabre dance

So plenty of non standard stuff in those extra 6 CDs.  Some of them are vague on the dates which I thought may be why Membran didnt list them on their site, e.g. CD 100 Mussorgsky says Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Francaise, Igor Markevitch, 1957? and CD98 the Beethoven says Pablo Casals, Rudolf Serkin, 1953?  But flicking through the booklet there are other CDs with question marks against the dates so my guess is the transscriber just lost the will to live :)

The booklet is pretty good, no essays but two useful indexes of artists and composers followed by CD by CD listings as per the website.

Looks like the price has gone back up again €53 on amazon.de and £100 on amazon.co.uk :( hope some of you managed to grab a copy

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Conor71 on July 29, 2012, 08:54:57 AM
Quote from: Conor71 on July 28, 2012, 04:01:23 AM

My copy has arrived too now, that was quick! And the box set is in superb condition, very impressed! :D Will probably listen to this set closer to the end of the year, towards winter.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

listener

possibly a repeat : MAHLER MP3 downloads, 13 hours worth, $.99  (Bach Guild, Vanguard)

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Conor71

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 01, 2012, 07:59:50 PM

My copy has arrived too now, that was quick! And the box set is in superb condition, very impressed! :D Will probably listen to this set closer to the end of the year, towards winter.

Wow, you have recieved your copy already! - good stuff :) Shipping to Australia usually takes a couple of weeks so I wont get my copy for a while  :'(  I will probably put my set on the back-burner too as I seem to be passing out of my recent Tchaikovsky phase now - no worries, the music will still be there for the next time I am in the mood!  :D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Conor71 on August 01, 2012, 10:47:44 AM
Wow, you have recieved your copy already! - good stuff :) Shipping to Australia usually takes a couple of weeks so I wont get my copy for a while  :'(  I will probably put my set on the back-burner too as I seem to be passing out of my recent Tchaikovsky phase now - no worries, the music will still be there for the next time I am in the mood!  :D

Hope you get it soon! I'm just going to save it for Christmas time, which I suppose is the most suitable time for works such as 'The Nutcracker'. :D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

jwinter

Quote from: listener on Today at 02:31:25 PM
possibly a repeat : MAHLER MP3 downloads, 13 hours worth, $.99  (Bach Guild, Vanguard)

Abravanel's Mahler cycle is quite respectable, certainly worth 99 cents if you want an introduction to Mahler.  I can't speak to the quality of the downloads -- I had this on CD years ago.  Not a top choice, but definitely a decent set and a good bargain at that price...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Conor71

Quote from: madaboutmahler on Today at 02:54:40 AM
Hope you get it soon! I'm just going to save it for Christmas time, which I suppose is the most suitable time for works such as 'The Nutcracker'. :D

Thanks! Yes good idea - I may have to play the Nutcracker then too! :)

bigshot

Quote from: jwinter on August 01, 2012, 10:58:57 AMAbravanel's Mahler cycle is quite respectable, certainly worth 99 cents if you want an introduction to Mahler.  I can't speak to the quality of the downloads -- I had this on CD years ago.  Not a top choice, but definitely a decent set and a good bargain at that price...

I was listening to this last weekend. The sound quality is excellent. I was pleasantly surprised with the performances too.

Opus106

Quote from: otare on August 03, 2012, 11:03:26 PM
More bargains in amazon.es:

Pretty much the entire Warner/Teldec/(Otare <- ;)) catalogue has been heavily slashed in price. And I noticed yesterday a few of the boxes at relatively low prices at the UK store as well.
Regards,
Navneeth