The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: bigshot on February 16, 2013, 01:14:44 PM
I just received the Van Cliburn box. What a beautiful job of packaging! I can't get enough of these Living Stereo recordings. Everything about them is great.

Did van Cliburn ever record for any label(s) other than RCA?

bigshot

Quote from: Coopmv on February 16, 2013, 01:24:50 PM
Did van Cliburn ever record for any label(s) other than RCA?

I don't think so.

Coopmv

Quote from: bigshot on February 21, 2013, 09:43:18 AM
I don't think so.

I will skip the box since van Cliburn is really not my favorite pianist ...

otare

I just played the Tchaikovsky 1st concerto, and in that one he (Van Cliburn) is superb.

Octave

Hope this is not "false alarm" territory, but for those in N. America, Amazon US-MP dealer i-Deals seems to be having on of those drops in price for lots of DG releases, Originals and otherwise.  I don't think it's a "sale" but I just nabbed the Fricsay/Anda Bartok piano ctos for ~$5.50 and the Richard Strauss DAPHNE by Bohm et al for ~$10, including shipping.  Just in case you have releases from this label hanging around in your wishlist.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

DavidW

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 14, 2013, 07:32:45 PM
Just released this week,  and currently $9.99 on Amazon US.  (That's Amazon itself, not Amazon MP, so if you can find something else for at least $15.01, you can get the free shipping if you're inside the US.)
[asin]B009YKMAKU[/asin]

Thanks, I just purchased.

Following up on the Rilling set, both the performances and sound quality are quite variable.  It seems that Rilling started traditional and ended sounding closer to the PI competition.  The vocalists sing quite a bit with distracting vibrato, but bring so much heart to their performances that they really blow away the competing big boxes.

Octave

Only a Super Duper Bargain if you missed it the first time around....

For those who would like a very nice slice of Alfred Cortot, the apparently OOP and usually rather expensive ICON box is part of Arkiv's current 24-hour sale (through midnight EST Wed.), for $24 not including shipping.
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=206933
Of course, I think all these recordings are in the mammoth 40cd anniversary box, but I don't think everyone would want to shuck out $80+ for so much music with overlaps, arguably poorer/later performances included, etc.  I'm still thinking about doing so, of course.  Anyway,  FYI!

Here is the general page for the sale; only like 35 items, and nothing I need (afaik):
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/listPage.jsp?list_id=3090&page_size=100&page_type=4&site_id=E1089
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Ken B

PRESTO CLEARANCE

Presto has a clearance sale on now, a grab bag of stuff including some Rattle boxes and some assorted British composer boxes, and quite a few DVDs

The new erato

It's been up for some time and I've done my bit to clear them out.

AnthonyAthletic

Haydn: The Creation 2cd set, Helicon Label

Barbara Hendricks, Chris Merritt , Jose Van Dam : Israel Philharmonic Orchestra/Zubin Mehta

UK's - Oxfamcrouchend (new & sealed) : £3.99 + £1.26 UK delivery

2 Left

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

AnthonyAthletic

Mozart: Mozart Symphonies 2cd set, Virgin Classics

CD:01 (32, 35 'Haffner' & 36 'Linz')
CD:02 (39 & 41 'Jupiter')

Scottish Chamber Orchestra/Jukka-Pekka Saraste

Two UK sellers 'Amazin Deals' [4 left in stock] & 'giftdvds' [5 left in stock] are selling this set for £0.58p & £0.59p respectively.  Amazon's bloated price is apparantly £14.95  ???

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

jut1972

DaveF

Quote from: Ken B on March 01, 2013, 09:44:08 AM
Presto has a clearance sale on now, a grab bag of stuff including some Rattle boxes and some assorted British composer boxes, and quite a few DVDs

Thanks for that - the Capuçon/Braley Beethoven sonatas are on their way to me for £6.41.  (If anyone has watched the accompanying video, any ideas where they may be recording? - looks like a brewer's warehouse stacked with kegs of beer.  Something to do with acoustics?)

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Opus106

Quote from: DaveF on March 08, 2013, 12:46:12 AM
Thanks for that - the Capuçon/Braley Beethoven sonatas are on their way to me for £6.41.  (If anyone has watched the accompanying video, any ideas where they may be recording? - looks like a brewer's warehouse stacked with kegs of beer.  Something to do with acoustics?)

DF

L’heure bleue in the Salle de musique at La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland; a hall renowned for its marvellous acoustics.

Read more: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/DEC10/Beethoven_vlnsons_6420010.htm#ixzz2MwNMguaU

Oh, wait -- that's not the place shown in the video, I think. (Duh!)

[Hey, neat feature at MusicWeb: the 'read more: link' thing was generated automatically and stored in the clipboard!]
Regards,
Navneeth

DaveF

Quote from: Opus106 on March 08, 2013, 12:53:55 AM

Oh, wait -- that's not the place shown in the video, I think. (Duh!)

Phew! - I thought my Lenten alcohol-fast was causing barrels of beer to float before my eyes...
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

A sale of Chandos at JPC DE.

Eat your heart out.

Starts at 8 euro's.

http://www.jpc.de/s/Chandos?searchtype=label

Papy Oli

Olivier

AnthonyAthletic

Brahms Piano Con No.2
Francois F. Guy, London PO/Paavo. Berglund

Mozart Mass in C : Accentus/Emmanuel Krivine

Under the New Tab, I ordered mine from Naxos Direct UK.  £1.99p each

Opus106

Not an outright SDCB per se, but you can make one out of it. Buy 3 items for the price of the two costlier ones. Many boxes, especially those limited Italian editions, are part of the offer and might help off-set the cost of the shipping.

http://www.amazon.it/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A412600031%2Cn%3A!518398031%2Cn%3A!518400031%2Cn%3A2549547031%2Cn%3A435475031&bbn=2549547031&ie=UTF8&qid=1363282393
Regards,
Navneeth