The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

ImportCDs did not respond to me or to PayPal, so I got a refund through PP. Even so importcds is annoying. They want me to ship back the box I got for a full refund rather than what I asked for, complete the order or issue a partial refund.

Not sure I'm ever going to use them again.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on February 25, 2014, 05:33:49 PM
ImportCDs did not respond to me or to PayPal, so I got a refund through PP. Even so importcds is annoying. They want me to ship back the box I got for a full refund rather than what I asked for, complete the order or issue a partial refund.

Every problem I have had with ImportCDs, whether it be a CD jewel case that arrived that's completely crushed to pieces due to their consistently lousy packaging or if I never even received an item in the mail, seems like it's always the buyer's fault that they're incompetent and can't accept the blame for that incompetence. Instead what I get is a lot of lip service about how I'm going to have to do this or do that. Screw them! I use them, but I use them through the umbrella of Amazon. That way if I ever encounter a problem that they're refusing to accept and make right, I'm not left holding the bag.

stingo

Quote from: hafod on February 22, 2014, 01:46:24 AM
Verdi - The Great Operas: 38cds from EMI now £10.99 at AmUK. The ASIN is B00A4AI17A

Shipped today - thanks for the heads up!

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

stingo

Quote from: Ken B on February 22, 2014, 06:48:04 AM
Hogwood Vivaldi recordings at Amazon UK for L 30 That is $48 delivered to the USA
I succumbed.

So did I. Thanks again for the heads up, even if my wallet doesn't feel the same way.

Ken B

Quote from: stingo on February 26, 2014, 06:39:26 AM
So did I. Thanks again for the heads up, even if my wallet doesn't feel the same way.
My wallet sends a note of commiseration to your wallet.
I'm still cold turkey ...

springrite

Your wallet is not as cultured as you are.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

jut1972

Barenboim Beethoven piano sonatas on EMI / Warner for £9.16 at Amazon UK.
If ordering from the UK you'll need to add something to make it over £10 to get free delivery.

[asin]B008DK3QBY[/asin]

Pat B

I paid more for it (but not as much as amazon US prices). I think I got a bargain -- you got a super-duper bargain.

Ken B

Quote from: Pat B on February 26, 2014, 08:50:06 AM
I paid more for it (but not as much as amazon US prices). I think I got a bargain -- you got a super-duper bargain.
Name of the game!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 25, 2014, 05:33:49 PM

I finally got a response from ImportCDs. They said that all orders are cancelled if not shipped in 21 days.  I wonder if that's true? And why they keep it secret? And why the orders stay in your "open orders" file?
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 27, 2014, 04:21:59 PM
I finally got a response from ImportCDs. They said that all orders are cancelled if not shipped in 21 days.  I wonder if that's true? And why they keep it secret? And why the orders stay in your "open orders" file?
I just got the same note. No refund. And they list the item as in stock.

Two weeks ...

stingo

ImportCDs told me the same thing - that after a certain amount of time the order gets cancelled. They had me reorder what I wanted (Complete Choros and Bachianas Brasileiras) and said they'd refund the difference because the item was on sale when I'd originally ordered it. It took a while but they eventually got around to it.

mc ukrneal

AMazon MP seller Harmonia Mundi has reduced their Lumieres set of 30 discs to 14.99. This has been mentioned before, but some good stuff there if the content is of interest. Check first Amazon review for contents: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005BZBY1I/ref=ox_sfl_cart_mbc_s8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&serverToken=Obidos
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Que

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 27, 2014, 05:04:29 PM
AMazon MP seller Harmonia Mundi has reduced their Lumieres set of 30 discs to 14.99. This has been mentioned before, but some good stuff there if the content is of interest. Check first Amazon review for contents: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005BZBY1I/ref=ox_sfl_cart_mbc_s8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&serverToken=Obidos

Thanks! :) Though I hate the concept of a box set with all kinds of stuff thrown in together.

(I know there is supposed to be an idea behind mixing random Rameau with random Beethoven and random Haydn, but I don't quite get it..)

Nevertheless, I might succumb to the great-recordings-at-bargain-price idea ... ::)  8)

Q

otare

I quite like it. Quite often I feel the urge to listen to some music, but not quite knowing what I like to play. The solution is quite often to take one of these sets and play the next CD, whatever that may contain. The downside is that it is usually a well-known work that you have heard many times, but quite often it is a long time since your last listen. I am playing through the Leon Fleisher box now, and just now I'm listening to Ravel's Valses nbles et sentimentals - a work I have heard many times, but it has been a while...

And the Lumières set can be quite educational, as it is supposed to trace a development of musical styles through a specified time period.

North Star

I don't think too much about the randomness of the Lumières box - I'm much too satisfied listening to Herreweghe's Beethoven 9th, Midori Seiler & AFAMB's Vivaldi 4S, Bill Christie's Rameau Castor & Pollux, Jacobs' Glück Orfeo & Euridice, Mozart Le nozze or Symphony no. 41 & Haydn's No. 92, or Müllejans & Freiburgers' Haydn, Staier's Mozart, or Jerusalem & Tokyo SQ's Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven - all that and more for the price of one of the operas/oratorios included in the set.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

I just bought that box for about $55 10 days ago or so. I considered it a terrific bargain.  Still do. $15?! Insane. 
  EDIT: 14.99 pounds...a bit different! Still a good price, of course.
It's all good...

Brian

Well, my no-purchases-in-2014 moratorium included a clause of "...unless it's a bargain so good I'd be stupid not to." Since I don't own a single one of the included discs, the Lumieres offer qualifies. Purchased and shipped for USD $31 (a little surprised they didn't take out VAT?!).

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on February 28, 2014, 07:04:20 AM
Well, my no-purchases-in-2014 moratorium included a clause of "...unless it's a bargain so good I'd be stupid not to." The Lumieres offer qualifies. Purchased and shipped for USD $31 (a little surprised they didn't take out VAT?!).
It does. I got it for under 30 last year. Great box.