The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

$9 from CMS at Amazon

[asin]B0042GNDMU[/asin]

At that price even Bak should be tempted, and the Moonfish should be biting.

DavidW

I can confirm that Bach set is great.

bigshot

I successfully convinced myself that I didn't have room for the five disks of Beethoven, but surrendered to the jumbo Liszt box. I guess to me, size matters.

Ken B

Quote from: bigshot on May 06, 2014, 06:21:06 PM
I successfully convinced myself that I didn't have room for the five disks of Beethoven, but surrendered to the jumbo Liszt box. I guess to me, size matters.
They don't call you Littleshot.

Ken B

Some of the Anner Bylsma boxes are cheap right now. This one has only a little overlap with the big Vivarte. Some have more

[asin]B00GH1X14I[/asin]

Onslow has been mentioned in these parts, as has the Mendelssohn octet.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: DavidW on May 06, 2014, 06:03:25 PM
I can confirm that Bach set is great.

I can confirm that 3/5 of it is great, because that's how much of it I already have in other boxes.  The Musical Offering is perhaps my favorite piece of music, and that version is the best I own...
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 06, 2014, 05:10:00 PM
$9 from CMS at Amazon

[asin]B0042GNDMU[/asin]

At that price even Bak should be tempted, and the Moonfish should be biting.

Got it a month ago!  >:D    There is always room for more in the Bach room....
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 06, 2014, 09:06:54 PM
I can confirm that 3/5 of it is great, because that's how much of it I already have in other boxes.  The Musical Offering is perhaps my favorite piece of music, and that version is the best I own...
Holy Jehosaphat. That is like the ONLY piece by Bach I don't really like. I even prefer La Mer :) ;) ( :P Nate )
I am quite serious, I just cannot get myself to like TMO. Maybe it's the King's nasty little theme.

Have you read evening in the palace of reason? It's a book about Bach writing TMO. fanciful but reasonably interesting.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 06, 2014, 09:35:51 PM
Holy Jehosaphat. That is like the ONLY piece by Bach I don't really like. I even prefer La Mer :) ;) ( :P Nate )
I am quite serious, I just cannot get myself to like TMO. Maybe it's the King's nasty little theme.

Have you read evening in the palace of reason? It's a book about Bach writing TMO. fanciful but reasonably interesting.

I first started listening to it about 15 years ago after reading a description of it in a science book "Goedel, Escher, Bach..." which I never finished.  Still, I went out and got the Bach and have loved it ever since.  It is an odd, graceless little theme, but I guess that's why what he does with it is so hypnotic...
It's all good...

The new erato

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 06, 2014, 09:56:16 PM
  I first started listening to it about 15 years ago after reading a description of it in a science book "Goedel, Escher, Bach..." which I never finished. 
That was one heavy book! I never finished it either.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on May 06, 2014, 09:35:51 PM

I have read it, I enjoyed it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Moonfish

Maybe not a perfect SDCB, but the Kubelik box just dropped almost 50% to about GBP 37 on Amazon UK...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Symphony-Edition-Rafael-Kubelik/dp/B00IZ11XA2/ref=pd_sim_m_h__15?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DC4QEET0T9PSF2XN4RM

[asin] B00IZ11XA2[/asin]

"Contents:
BEETHOVEN CD 1 – 5

Complete Symphonies
Amazingly, each symphony is recorded with a different orchestra – London Symphony, Concertgebouw, Berliner Philharmoniker, Israel Philharmonic, Boston Symphony, Orchestre de Paris, Wiener Philharmoniker, The Cleveland Orchestra, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra – culminating a Ninth with Kubelik's "own" orchestra. Now issued as an integral set for the first time.
SCHUMANN CD 6 – 7

Complete Symphonies
Berliner Philharmoniker; 1963 – 1964
"Rafael Kubelik's Schumann Symphonies with the Berlin Philharmonic from 1963 – 64 are lucid, unaffected and full of life . . . This is still one of the most rewarding Schumann cycles . . . notable for its rhythmic energy and warmly sympathetic playing." – Nigel Simeone (International Record Review)
DVORAK CD 8 – 13

Complete Symphonies
Berliner Philharmoniker; first released between 1966 and 1973
"A complete cycle that dominates the catalogue, crowned by a Seventh full of angst, a giddily intoxicating Eighth, and 'New World' of rare density. " - (Le Monde de la Musique, Paris)
MAHLER CD 14 – 23

Complete Symphonies
Symphonieo rchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks (Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra) recorded between 1967 and 1971
The first Mahler cycle to be performed and recorded by a German orchestra. "It has taken us all the wars and suffering to understand Mahler ... Nobody else has dared to put so many human problems into their music, or tried to work out those problems in terms of music... I know of no composer, except Beethoven, who expressed such a love of mankind." – Rafael Kubelik"
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

The new erato

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 09:26:05 AM
Maybe not a perfect SDCB, but the Kubelik box just dropped almost 50% to about GBP 37 on Amazon UK...
I preordered it for £20 (and got a VAT deduction in addition) from amazon UK a few weeks ago and already have it on my shelves.

Moonfish

Quote from: The new erato on May 07, 2014, 09:31:55 AM
I preordered it for £20 (and got a VAT deduction in addition) from amazon UK a few weeks ago and already have it on my shelves.

Really? You are kidding me!! I never saw it that low.    :'( :'( :'(
The same box? Camelcamel did not pick that price up for some reason.... Weird.
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 09:35:09 AM
What's camelcamel?

The new erato

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 09:35:09 AM
I just checked. Orderd April 11th at £17.22, dispatched April 17th. I think I was alerted to it by somebody here.

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: The new erato on May 07, 2014, 09:45:38 AM
I just checked. Orderd April 11th at £17.22, dispatched April 17th. I think I was alerted to it by somebody here.

That was indeed a great deal. Wonder why I never noticed that SDCB (as I am always reading this thread)......?    :'(
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2014, 09:51:06 AM
That was indeed a great deal. Wonder why I never noticed that SDCB (as I am always reading this thread)......?    :'(
You blinked.
Seriously, that Markovina we snagged was gone in less than 30 minutes.

The new erato

It was me that blinked; I'm mixing up Kubeik and Jochum here. Sorry all.