The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

Novi

I've just ordered a double decca of Zemlinsky's orchestral works with Chailly/RCO at amazon for £1.36. I'm not sure how to check how many copies are left though ???.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Mark

Quote from: Novitiate on November 30, 2007, 02:39:38 PM
I've just ordered a double decca of Zemlinsky's orchestral works with Chailly/RCO at amazon for £1.36. I'm not sure how to check how many copies are left though ???.

I got this delivered yesterday, so there must be more than one. ;D

Novi

Quote from: Mark on November 30, 2007, 02:43:59 PM
I got this delivered yesterday, so there must be more than one. ;D

Cool. Have you had a listen yet?

Erm, when does that no CD business kick off again? ;D

Another one - Il Trovatore (Giulini with Domingo, Plowright, Fassbaender) for a couple of quid.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Mark

I gave the Lyric Symphony its first spin last night. Put me in mind of Strauss (Richard, not Johann); and even more so, of Bartok's 'Duke Bluebeard's Castle'.

And it's January 1st that the CD-buying fast begins. ;)

LVB_opus.125

Quote from: Peregrine on November 14, 2007, 12:49:43 AM
;D

Whilst I congratulate you on your purchase, I do question anyone buying Asparagus at this time of the year, for that means it's travelling a long way. Asparagus depreciates quite noticeably in quality after it is picked and would urge anyone to keep their asparagus eating to a seasonal window (May-June, when you'll find me eating loads of the stuff!), to truly appreciate this vegetable in all it's glory.

The food police
$:)

Not only all of that, but it's grown in Peru and controlled by organized crime (source: some Peruvian worker I knew once). I'm not entirely hip on seasons, but I just bought asparagus from the local farmers market a few weeks ago and it was wonderful.

BorisG

Though I am not a big Svetlanov fan, any Miaskovsky reissue is an event.

PerfectWagnerite

If you are any music fan at all I don't see how you can live without this set:

which you can get for around $30. Simply scary-good playing from the Staatskapelle Dresden. I would go as far as to say at fortissimo no orchestra sounds remotely as terrifying as the SD, except maybe the Leningrad PO under Mravinsky. It is truly unreal how Jochum push this orchestra to the unfathomale brink of fortissimo at times and yet maintaining the kind of burnished and natural sound the SD is known for. Sure there are mannerisms here and there like in inserting crescendos where they are not in the score (especially in the 5th symphony). But the performances are so convincing you don't care or mind. The set is worth that price alone for the 5th and 9th symphonies. Simply put there are not other similar Bruckner performances in the catalogue.

Bonehelm

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on December 22, 2007, 03:50:23 PM
If you are any music fan at all I don't see how you can live without this set:

which you can get for around $30. Simply scary-good playing from the Staatskapelle Dresden. I would go as far as to say at fortissimo no orchestra sounds remotely as terrifying as the SD, except maybe the Leningrad PO under Mravinsky. It is truly unreal how Jochum push this orchestra to the unfathomale brink of fortissimo at times and yet maintaining the kind of burnished and natural sound the SD is known for. Sure there are mannerisms here and there like in inserting crescendos where they are not in the score (especially in the 5th symphony). But the performances are so convincing you don't care or mind. The set is worth that price alone for the 5th and 9th symphonies. Simply put there are not other similar Bruckner performances in the catalogue.

I'd take Karajan/BPO or Celibidache/MPO over Jochum/Dresden anyday.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: 復活交響曲 on December 22, 2007, 05:29:30 PM
I'd take Karajan/BPO or Celibidache/MPO over Jochum/Dresden anyday.
You may, but this is the super-budget bargain thread and last time I checked neither HVK nor Celi's Munich cycle are bargains.

What do you not like about Jochum's readings?

Bonehelm

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on December 22, 2007, 06:02:03 PM
You may, but this is the super-budget bargain thread and last time I checked neither HVK nor Celi's Munich cycle are bargains.

What do you not like about Jochum's readings?

No, I saw Celi MPO set a while back for 18 USD shipped. Forgot which site, and the offer is probably expired now. I'll check later.

Brian

Quote from: 復活交響曲 on December 22, 2007, 06:26:50 PM
No, I saw Celi MPO set a while back for 18 USD shipped. Forgot which site, and the offer is probably expired now. I'll check later.
I hope that's not Celi in full glacier mode. After listening to his absurdly slow 7, Tintner's rendition was a genuine revelation.

George

Quote from: 復活交響曲 on December 22, 2007, 06:26:50 PM

Please do.

Bonehelm

Quote from: Brian on December 22, 2007, 07:59:32 PM
I hope that's not Celi in full glacier mode. After listening to his absurdly slow 7, Tintner's rendition was a genuine revelation.

His 7th is not that slow if you've heard his 8th. The finale of the latter is almost 36 minutes long. (The folk in my avatar blows through it in 23 minutes, and he isn't even fast)

MichaelRabin

Sandor Vegh - Mozart Divertimenti & Serenades on Capriccio 10 CDs for about over GBP16 for the set. A real steal, with this set winning the Grand Prix du Disque, I think. Stylish and warmly phrased Mozart - played with panache!

jwinter

Quote from: MichaelRabin on December 25, 2007, 04:40:03 AM
Sandor Vegh - Mozart Divertimenti & Serenades on Capriccio 10 CDs for about over GBP16 for the set. A real steal, with this set winning the Grand Prix du Disque, I think. Stylish and warmly phrased Mozart - played with panache!

Seconded!  That's a great set.  I got mine from BRO about a year ago, for less $ than a decent lunch. 
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

MichaelRabin

Hi JWinter, Isn't it a really great set - that Mozart? Also they did a great Posthorn on Philips, plus live concerts from the Salzburg Festival on Orfeo - but alas that is not a super-duper cheap bargain.

MR