The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafod

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 30, 2016, 05:53:31 AM
Well, for a mere 36 euros you can get Wand's Bruckner and MUCH MUCH MORE! (28 discs, this from Amazon.de)

Cheaper from a UK perspective at base.com - £23.49 delivered (within UK).
http://www.base.com/buy/product/g-nter-wand-the-great-recordings-music-cd/dgc-88691911552.htm
I've used them a few times in recent years without any problems.

André

44$ (Canadian) delivered (*). The UK price is equivalent to 60$ (delivered).

(*) It has been so ordered.  :D

DaveF

Quote from: Jo498 on April 30, 2016, 06:17:36 AM
FWIW, I do not think that Wand/Cologne is competitive with Chailly, Haitink or Skrowaczewski *as far as sonics are concerned*. Other than that, it might be as good a bargain as any.

Agreed - they are not even Wand's best recordings sonically (the Berlin Phil ones on RCA are that, as far as I can tell from Spotify), but I've listened to all his recordings of the finale of no.5 and this one seems to get it most right (for me).
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Jo498

TBH I only have heard 3,4,5 from Wand/Cologne (or these are the ones I own(ed), I probably have heard a few more at a friend's 25 years ago) and I keep 3 and 5 for (partly) sentimental reasons (the 5th was the first Bruckner I ever bought). I got rid of 4 because I am not too fond of the piece, did not find Wand all that special and the sound was not competitive with others.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

I have possessed the Wand recordings of Schubert, Bruckner and Brahms symphonies on LP (long time ago of course), and re-purchased the Bruckner ones on cd. All are very good sonically, but that's a small part of the whole package. These are interpretations of uncommon fire, integrity and musicality.

ubertrout

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 30, 2016, 05:53:31 AM
Well, for a mere 36 euros you can get Wand's Bruckner and MUCH MUCH MORE! (28 discs, this from Amazon.de)

It's USD 34 from importcds via eBay, with free US shipping...

Brian

USA: ImportCDs has the Decca HIP Haydn "107 Symphonies" box with Bruggen, Hogwood, and Dantone - for $42.75. 35 CDs.

listener

12-disc set of organ music by Johann Gottfried WALTER played by  Simone Stella for EUR 19.99
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/complete-organ-music/hnum/8352867
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

ubertrout

This isn't super-cheap, but it is a bargain - the Chicago Symphony Orchestra has their CSO in the 20th Century: Collector's Choice box set on sale for $90 (60% off).  This was never publicly distributed by anyone except the CSO through their store since it was released in 2000, and a used copy recently sold on eBay for $325.  Shipping in the US is $13.50, they're not shipping outside the US.  Link: http://cso.lightspeedwebstore.com/music-cd-cd-chicago-symphony-orchestra-in-the-twentieth-century%3A-collectors-choice-210000007262/dp/7262

ShineyMcShineShine

Has anyone else gotten the impression lately that the price of used CDs on Amazon has been going up? I tend to put things that I only half-heartedly want to buy on wishlists and then watch the prices in hopes of being able to pick them up dirt cheap. In the past, if I was willing to wait six months or a year the prices would usually drop at least briefly at some point, but now they just seem to climb upward and never fluctuate downward. I don't see sellers like zoverstocks undercutting everyone else with rock-bottom prices anymore, either.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ShineyMcShineShine on May 25, 2016, 08:14:51 PM
Has anyone else gotten the impression lately that the price of used CDs on Amazon has been going up? I tend to put things that I only half-heartedly want to buy on wishlists and then watch the prices in hopes of being able to pick them up dirt cheap. In the past, if I was willing to wait six months or a year the prices would usually drop at least briefly at some point, but now they just seem to climb upward and never fluctuate downward. I don't see sellers like zoverstocks undercutting everyone else with rock-bottom prices anymore, either.
I'd make three comments on my observations: 1) There is a seasonality to some of the prices, where prices seem to decline heading into December and seem to stay higher in the first half of the year, and 2) It really depends on which discs you are looking at, and 3) some declines were driven by foreign exchange changes.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Holden

SDCB is relative to exchange rates. When the Aussie dollar had parity with the US dollar they were indeed SDCBs. I got the Rubinstein big box for just over a 100 bucks. With the $AUS now only buying US 74 cents, once the conversion rate is worked out, many of them are no longer bargains.
Cheers

Holden

Ken B

DVD movies but this seems like the right thread

[asin]B0042DN4UY[/asin]

$30 shipped

Abuelo Igor

I was going to order that Kazan set but the high number of complaints about having received it with the discs scratched, glue on the playing surfaces, and so on, led me to change my mind. Maybe it's not such a big gamble for those who live in the USA, since they probably have an easy and cheap service in case you have to return it, but the mere thought of having to send back a big, heavy item from across the Atlantic, with shipping costs higher than that of the item itself, and with no guarantee whatsoever of getting a copy in good condition after all the costly and time-consuming process, kind of dampens my enthusiasm for the bargain. Thanks, but no, thanks.
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Ken B

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on May 28, 2016, 02:20:59 AM
I was going to order that Kazan set but the high number of complaints about having received it with the discs scratched, glue on the playing surfaces, and so on, led me to change my mind. Maybe it's not such a big gamble for those who live in the USA, since they probably have an easy and cheap service in case you have to return it, but the mere thought of having to send back a big, heavy item from across the Atlantic, with shipping costs higher than that of the item itself, and with no guarantee whatsoever of getting a copy in good condition after all the costly and time-consuming process, kind of dampens my enthusiasm for the bargain. Thanks, but no, thanks.

I guess I better open and inspect! Thanks for the heads up to this.

Harry

For those that are interested, on JPC de, there is a BIS sale. 206 titles, 6,99€ a piece. Happy hunting ;D

https://www.jpc.de/s/Midsommer-Preise+bei+BIS?searchtype=campaigntext

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Christo

Quote from: Harry's corner on May 28, 2016, 07:33:41 AM
For those that are interested, on JPC de, there is a BIS sale. 206 titles, 6,99€ a piece. Happy hunting ;D

Very interested. But also a relief to discover that those two dozens of 'most wanted' cds shown here, are already in my possession.  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Que

Some items I might get.....Though probably not the CPE Bach items, however tempting, because I think this signals (finally) a reissue by BIS in box sets...
Something several of us have been waiting for. Those still are not going to be cheap, but I want them! ??? :D

Q

ritter

Thanks, Harry! Went for some, as reported here.

Cheers,

Harry

Quote from: ritter on May 29, 2016, 07:49:03 AM
Thanks, Harry! Went for some, as reported here.

Cheers,

I am glad I could be of some service ;D
And I am sorry about your wallet, I truly am.
My list of BIS recordings was short, just 6 titles, the rest I either had or was not interested in.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."