The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwinter

Haven't heard those others, sound interesting.  Another great option is Andras Schiff's Mozart piano concerto set with the same forces -- most definitely not a bargain, but marvelous stuff anyway.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

The new erato

Anybody know this?:

Does it contain both Shostakovich Trios?

techniquest

I hope this counts - HMV has the Mariss Jansons Shostakovich Symphonies set on EMI in their stores sale for £20.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: techniquest on January 02, 2008, 01:09:52 PM
I hope this counts - HMV has the Mariss Jansons Shostakovich Symphonies set on EMI in their stores sale for £20.
Sure counts ! I think Amazon has it in the US for a tad over $30 which is quite a bargain. I didn't bite though, I have the Leningrad from a previous incarnation and it is pretty underwhelming.

samtrb

Quote from: erato on January 01, 2008, 12:07:10 PM
Anybody know this?:

Does it contain both Shostakovich Trios?

Nope, only the second in E minor Op. 67

Otherwise very nice set, got it right before christmas so i havent had time to go through it all yet:

CD1: Tchaikovsky trio in A minor, Alyabiev trio in A minor
CD2: Taneyey trio in D major
CD3: Rachmaninoff trio no.1 in G minor Op Posth, no.2 in D minor Op. 9
Borodin Trio
(Licenced from Chandos)

CD4: Arensky trio in D minor Op. 32, Shostakovich trio no.2 in E minor op. 67;
(not the Borodin Trio, other performers from Brilliant Classics, i guess)

Gustav

I found 2 today (from Amazon):

Dorati's Hungarian dances with Bamberg, it's insanely cheap 2 CDs for 1-2 dollars! plus shipping, you probably pay 5-6 dollars for some interesting music!

Ferencsik beethoven symphonies, although the boxset is not exactly a "bargin", you can buy individual symphonies separetely price ranging from 0.01 to 2-5 dollars! super cheap!

as for the music, you can "sample" these works from naxosmusiclibrary

Lethevich

Amazon price Price: £11.97, Marketplace price: £3.28 (many sellers, all new). This and the Apex CD are the only way to listen to this composer cheaply IIRC - most of his discography is in the shackles of ECM.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Novi

Almost couldn't find this thread again.

Giulini's Chicago box set going for £6.30 from various uk amazon marketplace sellers:

Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Lethevich

Quote from: BorisG on March 10, 2008, 11:19:54 AM

Bah! Cheating! This isn't the Super Cheap Bargains Thread, it's the Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread - it must be way cheaper than RRP  $:)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

BorisG

Quote from: Lethe on March 10, 2008, 05:11:59 PM
Bah! Cheating! This isn't the Super Cheap Bargains Thread, it's the Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread - it must be way cheaper than RRP  $:)

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. ::)

Currently at Amazon Marketplace UK and France, 2.28 pounds sterling and 3.95 Euros easily qualifies it.

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Novitiate on March 08, 2008, 02:26:39 PM
Almost couldn't find this thread again.

Giulini's Chicago box set going for £6.30 from various uk amazon marketplace sellers:

Classic!  Grabbed mine, got it today for £6.30p  Shame as its back upto £10 now (still worth every dime).  The highlight of the set for me, even above the Mahler 1 and Brucker 9 is the Beethoven 7th, apotheosis indeed  ;)

Thanks for the tip off n heads up!!

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Peregrine

Well, this thread has almost died. Where are the bargains?
Yes, we have no bananas

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: BorisG on December 23, 2007, 01:23:57 PM

Definitely!  I have both of those and bought them for an excellent price, but what's even better is that they're great performances!

For Vivaldi, try this...

For those who don't mind downloads I can recommend these...

Handel: Messiah (Suzuki / Bach Collegium Japan)

Bach: Mass in B Minor (Suzuki / Bach Collegium Japan)

$8 each - you'll have to pay $40 for these elsewhere!  :o

Peregrine

More bargain than super-duper cheap, but bought this a year or so ago at full price. At this price it's a 'no-brainer' IMO

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//HMN911914.htm

Yes, we have no bananas

Sorin Eushayson

Some more super-duper bargains...

$23 for what has become my favourite Beethoven symphony cycle (yes, it has its faults).  Pardon me, this is an off-topic recommendation: it's not a super-duper bargain, it's a steal!

$11 for an entire cycle of the Beethoven piano concerti, with the Choral Fantasia and some other piano pieces thrown into the mix!

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

Peregrine

Of course, this thread will not be truly resuscitated until Mr Athletic shows his face, for he is indeed, the 'king' of the bargain hunters...

;D 
Yes, we have no bananas