Author Topic: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread  (Read 969770 times)

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
Re: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread
« Reply #6960 on: August 26, 2019, 06:25:04 AM »
That's truly a great deal, though personally I'll pass since I already have a large percentage of it in various guises.

That said, I must confess I picked up the huge Szell box late last year, despite having many of those recordings as well.  But Szell has long been my favorite conductor for lots of things, and the inclusion of some old mono recordings I'd never heard, plus the top-class packaging and new remastering on some of it (at least compared to the versions I had) led me to pull the trigger.  And I'm very glad I did, it's a beautiful set.

And yet... if anything I find myself less likely to listen to Szell in the past few months.  Just the act of lugging that big thing off the shelf and pulling something out... I'm lazy I suppose, but I'll often grab another recording just because it's easier to get at.  So the big Szell box is actually helping me to diversify my listening a little more, oddly enough...
  Ironic, huh? And the Bernstein would be WORSE.  the disks are all in 4 deep pockets, making it an incredibly inconvenient pain to find any specific disk (unlike the szell, where you can just look down at them).  I find if I want to get "serious" about any big box, I have to take out a big chunk of disks (or the whole box) and just put it next to my CD player. 
It's all good...

Offline GioCar

« Reply #6961 on: August 27, 2019, 02:02:59 AM »
Lovers of contemporary Classical music might find this KAIROS sale at jpc of interest!

Q

Thank you Que! The Francisco Lopez 5-CD set at € 3.99 (instead of € 39.99) is a steal!

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #6962 on: August 27, 2019, 03:16:19 PM »
Lovers of contemporary Classical music might find this KAIROS sale at jpc of interest!

Q
Wow what a bargain. I just bought a few CDs of music by Nono, Messiaen, and Feldman for $15. All of this music is new to me and I probably wouldn't have gone for it hadn't I known about this sale. Thanks!

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6963 on: August 28, 2019, 05:05:21 PM »