The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: jwinter on August 26, 2019, 07:16:56 AM
That's truly a great deal, though personally I'll pass since I already have a large percentage of it in various guises.

That said, I must confess I picked up the huge Szell box late last year, despite having many of those recordings as well.  But Szell has long been my favorite conductor for lots of things, and the inclusion of some old mono recordings I'd never heard, plus the top-class packaging and new remastering on some of it (at least compared to the versions I had) led me to pull the trigger.  And I'm very glad I did, it's a beautiful set.

And yet... if anything I find myself less likely to listen to Szell in the past few months.  Just the act of lugging that big thing off the shelf and pulling something out... I'm lazy I suppose, but I'll often grab another recording just because it's easier to get at.  So the big Szell box is actually helping me to diversify my listening a little more, oddly enough...
Ironic, huh? And the Bernstein would be WORSE.  the disks are all in 4 deep pockets, making it an incredibly inconvenient pain to find any specific disk (unlike the szell, where you can just look down at them).  I find if I want to get "serious" about any big box, I have to take out a big chunk of disks (or the whole box) and just put it next to my CD player. 
It's all good...

GioCar

Quote from: Que on August 17, 2019, 12:17:14 AM
Lovers of contemporary Classical music might find this KAIROS sale at jpc of interest!

Q

Thank you Que! The Francisco Lopez 5-CD set at € 3.99 (instead of € 39.99) is a steal!

vers la flamme

Quote from: Que on August 17, 2019, 12:17:14 AM
Lovers of contemporary Classical music might find this KAIROS sale at jpc of interest!

Q
Wow what a bargain. I just bought a few CDs of music by Nono, Messiaen, and Feldman for $15. All of this music is new to me and I probably wouldn't have gone for it hadn't I known about this sale. Thanks!

Martin H

Abbado's The Symphony Edition, 41 cds, with complete cycles of Mahler, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Mendelssohn symphonies, plus later Mozart & Haydn, and half of Bruckner. I bought it at 60€ a few years back, the lowest I had seen it for a long while, and think I got a great bargain then - many marvellous performances.
But Amazon Italy now have it for just €37 - tremendous value!
https://www.amazon.it/Symphony-Clau...1AKEWP7X16Z&psc=1&refRID=8ERHS14CE1AKEWP7X16Z

And they also have Riccardo Muti's The Verdi collection - 28 cds with lots of really classic recordings - for €35. Only three left!
https://www.amazon.it/Verdi-Collect...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AQ9AZQK9Q6G8K5CJMVR3

Callas's complete studio recordings - the 2014 69-cd box is also there for only €81

Mookalafalas

Amazon Germany has the fancy, remastered Callas box for 94 euros, and the Menuhin is back down to 99 Euros.  The Bernstein boxes (New York) are also dirt cheap. The "Vocal" box is 77 Euros, or about a dollar a disk.
It's all good...

Roasted Swan

As mentioned by another poster elsewhere; Dutton are selling off back catalogue items with discounts ranging from just a couple of pounds off the RRP right down to discs for 99p.  Well worth a visit and a trawl - not the easiest thing to do on their website mind!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/products.php?cat=4

(keep scrolling past the first few pages to find the 'classical' discs.........)

Martin H

The Dutton site does seem to have a button on the left for Classical sale - with list prices starting at £0.99. (Delivery in UK was £2 for a couple I bought recently.)

Harry

Quote from: Martin H on October 03, 2019, 01:31:02 AM
The Dutton site does seem to have a button on the left for Classical sale - with list prices starting at £0.99. (Delivery in UK was £2 for a couple I bought recently.)

Oempff, that's quite an ordeal to get through this. To time consuming for me.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

The new erato

Quote from: "Harry" on October 03, 2019, 01:36:39 AM
Oempff, that's quite an ordeal to get through this. To time consuming for me.
Only if you feel you have too few discs.

staxomega

JPC is having a massive sale on CPO CDs.

Harry

Quote from: staxomega on October 03, 2019, 05:18:46 AM
JPC is having a massive sale on CPO CDs.

Not without me knowing it. My contacts with CPO are very trustworthy in that respect. :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

JCBuckley

Some bargains in Europadisc's sale of independent label box sets. For example Zefiro: The Baroque Collection - 10 discs for just over £11. Same price for the 10-disc Napoli: At the Crossroads between Popular and Art Music.

André

North Star

Quote from: André on October 06, 2019, 11:00:41 AM
Would you know if that Soler set is a space saving box, or just 9 cd cases put together ?
Looks like a space saver
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Jo498

It's a space saver and quite good. But it is a long way from complete although I cannot tell you how much is missing and that fact should probably not distract anyone from getting it.
In the same sale the Dvorak quartet box is also pretty good. And also cardboard slim sleeves. I think all newer Brilliant boxes are like that. But watch out if you get one of the older Bach cantata or keyboard boxed, they are all separate jewel cases.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

Thanks for the details! I have 6 discs of Soler/Belder, presumably included in that set. Ordering it will cost me less than scouring the net for the 3 missing discs  :P.

Que

Quote from: André on October 06, 2019, 04:52:08 PM
Thanks for the details! I have 6 discs of Soler/Belder, presumably included in that set. Ordering it will cost me less than scouring the net for the 3 missing discs  :P.

I feel you! I was in a similar situation, end ended up getting the set after all...

On the plus side: it really does safe a lot of space. :)

Q

The new erato

Not as much as not getting it. Just saying.