The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Roasted Swan

Chandos have added quite a few more discs to their Summer Sale.  Some good stuff - the Davis/RVW/Job-Symphony 9 for £5 for example.  As before their listing within categories seems fairly random so you need to look through them all to see what you'll find.  Worth the trawl!

Todd

Qobuz has the Evidence label on sale.  FFG's Brahms piano sonatas and LvB Violin Sonatas and Cello Sonatas are available at silly low prices.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Papy Oli

Dutton Vocalion has an Autumn sale going on on their website.

Bate's Third at £4.99, Arnell's Third at £4.99, the Foulds volumes at £2.99-£4.99, etc...
Olivier

André

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 28, 2020, 02:13:57 PM

Bate's Third at £4.99, Arnell's Third at £4.99, the Foulds volumes at £2.99-£4.99, etc...

Thanks, Olivier !

I indulged...again ::)

Papy Oli

Olivier

MusicTurner

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 28, 2020, 02:13:57 PM

Thank you, this is a very interesting sale with a lot of rarities, I ordered 20x.

Note that postage + handling fee is £ 1 per item + a little more.

Todd

Qobuz has the Glossa label on sale for half off.  Downloads start at five bucks a disc in the US.

londonrich

MusicTurner

German Zweitausendeins has another sale with classical & jazz CD boxes /single CDs for 2 Euros per unit

(some examples: Villa-Lobos complete string quartets 6CD = 2 Euros (!), Buxtehude complete organ works 6CD; Rachmaninoff complete songs 3CD, 2 Euros; Kubelik as composer CD 2 Euros; Reger piano trio CD; Kodaly orchestral works 2CD, Manoury piano works CD, Schoeck Elegie, Haubenstock-Ramati CD, etc. etc.)
Postage within Europe is often around 10 Euros though

https://www.zweitausendeins.de/ausgewahlte-klassik-jazz-cds-reduziert?&sc_src=email_2322921&sc_lid=156778656&sc_uid=N7O4PVzYuv&sc_llid=39702&sc_eh=1850ca124b2b7db51

DaveF

A few tempting things on Qobuz - not special offers or anything, just cheap compilations, possibly mispriced:

Rachmaninoff / Ashkenazy - Complete orchestral works: https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/rachmaninov-complete-symphonies-and-orchestral-works-vladimir-ashkenazy-sydney-symphony/ovgcsgex2iebc

Brendel - Complete Vanguard Classics recordings: https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/alfred-brendel-the-complete-vanguard-classics-recordings-alfred-brendel-i-solisti-di-zagreb-antonio-janigro/5055354495014

Beethoven Complete Sonatas - Malcolm Bilson & others: https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/beethoven-the-complete-32-piano-sonatas-on-period-instruments-in-addition-the-three-bonn-kurfursten-sonatas-malcolm-bilson/0886788397484

and many more - just do, as I did, a search on the word "Complete" and lots of bargains will pop up.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Brian

If Brendel's barnstorming Mussorgsky Pictures is on Vanguard, that's worth it just for that. Heck of a bargain!

Todd

Quote from: DaveF on October 25, 2020, 02:24:12 PMA few tempting things on Qobuz - not special offers or anything, just cheap compilations, possibly mispriced:

Those are properly priced.  $2.99 for five discs of Rach from Ashkenazy seems hard to pass up.

The Ohlsson LvB sonata cycle is still available for $4.99, and it is better than the Bilson at the same price, even though the Bilson set includes the Tom Beghin recordings, which justify the price of the set.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Todd on October 25, 2020, 03:20:07 PM

Those are properly priced.  $2.99 for five discs of Rach from Ashkenazy seems hard to pass up.

The Ohlsson LvB sonata cycle is still available for $4.99, and it is better than the Bilson at the same price, even though the Bilson set includes the Tom Beghin recordings, which justify the price of the set.

Indeed - its a very good price but I have to say I'm not sure Ashkenazy in Australia has much more to say in recording terms than his classic Decca/Concertgebouw set.  Of course on the Exton set you do get extras such as Prince Rostislav and the 5 orchestrated (by Respighi) 5 Etudes Tableaux.  But at that price ... what the hell!

DaveF

Quote from: Todd on October 25, 2020, 03:20:07 PM

Even cheaper in the US, then!  Still, glad they're available on the Qobuz US site too.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Artem

vers la flamme

Can't say I have much interest in this repertoire but it's such a good deal I had to share. 20 discs for $8.99:

https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5029365947022-20th-century-italian-piano-music

staxomega

Quote from: londonrich on October 13, 2020, 09:30:00 AM
A very good price (£6.47) for the 20cd Brilliant Classics box of 20th Century Italian Piano Music: https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5029365947022-20th-century-italian-piano-music?_pos=3&_sid=d6ab2bb22&_ss=r

I received mine a couple of days ago and have made it through a few discs, thank you very much for posting this. The Nina Rota 15 Preludes are the highlight for me so far. Looks like he scored some of the music for The Godfather.

Martin H

Lots of copies available for two boxes of vintage opera recordings at ridiculous UK prices, only £3.99 each:

ebay.co.uk Mozart The Great Operas (9 cds) with Giulini's 1960s Don Giovanni & Figaro and Karajan's 1950s Cosi & Magic Flute - the Don & Cosi are especially fine.

ebay.co.uk Puccini The Great Operas (13 cds) including Beecham's super Boheme with Bjorling & de los Angeles, and the latter's Butterfly with Di Stefano, Callas's Tosca with De Sabata & Turandot, plus Trittico with Gobbi & a Fanciulla del West.

Bare bones presentation from Regis - no librettos etc - but also free postage (for the UK, anyway).

There are also several hundred small box sets this month on Amazon.de at €25 for 3, though they seem to be selling fast.
I picked up a trio of Mackerras' classic Janacek opera recordings, and postage for all three inside Europe was only €3.63.
Among many other things are Chailly's 2011 Beethoven symphonies (and Karajan's 1960s and 70s sets), Uchida's Mozart piano sonatas and an eight CD box of Barenboim's Orchestre de Paris recordings.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/promotion/A1RSP2NLLRDLFF?ref_=sopp_psp_A1RSP2NLLRDLFF&tag=shforums.de-21

flyingdutchman

Quote from: hvbias on November 06, 2020, 05:58:14 AM
I received mine a couple of days ago and have made it through a few discs, thank you very much for posting this. The Nina Rota 15 Preludes are the highlight for me so far. Looks like he scored some of the music for The Godfather.

This is available on Presto for 12.00 as a flac download.