The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveF

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 22, 2021, 10:25:21 AM
Just now Pieter Jan Belder's recording of the complete Fitzwilliam Virginal Book (15 CDs) can be downloaded from Presto (flac) for less than 14 Euro's !!

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8846043--complete-fitzwilliam-virginal-book

Wonderful stuff - but when I think how much I spent on it... :(

Qobuz have some free giveaways - look out for Spring Music Gifts on the website - including Mark Padmore's new(ish) Winterreise, musical tours of the Alhambra and Loire châteaux and a couple of Advent and Christmas compilations past their sell-by date.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

premont

Quote from: DaveF on March 23, 2021, 03:50:32 AM

Yes, I also purchased the individual volumes in the course of their release. But on the other hand, I could not have waited until now to hear them.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Roasted Swan

Quote from: DaveF on March 23, 2021, 03:50:32 AM

Qobuz have some free giveaways - look out for Spring Music Gifts on the website - including Mark Padmore's new(ish) Winterreise, musical tours of the Alhambra and Loire châteaux and a couple of Advent and Christmas compilations past their sell-by date.

thanks for the heads up!

Brian

Gergiev/LSO Mahler cycle on SACD for $22 this weekend https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/106656/Mahler_-_Symphonies_Nos_1-9.htm

(of course, many people disagree on the merits of it so it may not be a bargain)

There are some other bargain boxes in that same Europa bank holiday sale, including two documenting the history of Harmonia Mundi, a Colin Davis LSO collection, and a bunch of Rene Jacobs opera recordings.

Brian

Is this box set a good bargain? It's 20 CDs recorded by violinist Benjamin Schmid for Oehms, for $35. I've never heard of the violinist and don't know if this is any good. ClassicsToday has a review of a single disc of Beethoven sonatas which says he sometimes has a raw edgy tone.

Any experience with the fella?

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on June 01, 2021, 07:08:02 PM
Is this box set a good bargain? It's 20 CDs recorded by violinist Benjamin Schmid for Oehms, for $35. I've never heard of the violinist and don't know if this is any good. ClassicsToday has a review of a single disc of Beethoven sonatas which says he sometimes has a raw edgy tone.

I heard him perform the Korngold concerto in concert a few years ago. I thought he was excellent.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on June 02, 2021, 03:13:40 AM
I heard him perform the Korngold concerto in concert a few years ago. I thought he was excellent.

His live recording of the Korngold in Vienna with Seiji Ozawa is very very good indeed

André

Quote from: Brian on June 01, 2021, 07:08:02 PM

Schmid is my favourite violinist along with Ehnes.

Brahmsian

Quote from: André on June 02, 2021, 05:33:50 AM
Schmid is my favourite violinist along with Ehnes.

That is high praise!!  :)  Like I have mentioned, I have only heard him in a live performance for the Korngold concerto.  He has recorded multiple times with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's current music director, Daniel Raiskin.  They seem to have a long standing relationship, thus, I can expect him to make more appearances with the WSO.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on June 02, 2021, 06:06:07 AM
That is high praise!!  :)  Like I have mentioned, I have only heard him in a live performance for the Korngold concerto.  He has recorded multiple times with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's current music director, Daniel Raiskin.  They seem to have a long standing relationship, thus, I can expect him to make more appearances with the WSO.  :)

High praise, indeed. I've never seen Andre talk about Benjamin Schmid on this forum.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on June 02, 2021, 06:06:07 AM

Raiskin's Shostakovich No.4 is superb - that sounds like an exciting creative partnership - lucky Winnipeg!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 04, 2021, 12:04:45 AM
Raiskin's Shostakovich No.4 is superb - that sounds like an exciting creative partnership - lucky Winnipeg!

I'm very happy you enjoy the Raiskin Shostakovich 4th as much as I do.  I will try and get him to sign my CD at one of the next upcoming concerts in the new 21/22 season.  :)

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 02, 2021, 01:00:56 PM
High praise, indeed. I've never seen Andre talk about Benjamin Schmid on this forum.

I won't hold that against you, John !  :D

Papy Oli

For those keen on FLAC, Qobuz has up to 40% off on about 2,400 Chandos albums and sets.

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/page/catalogue-chandos
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 22, 2021, 06:45:06 AM
For those keen on FLAC, Qobuz has up to 40% off on about 2,400 Chandos albums and sets.

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/page/catalogue-chandos

I'm looking forward to this recording, but I'll just wait for the physical release:

Martin H

Discogs are listing what seems an amazing bargain: the massive Itzhak Perlman - Complete Warner Recordings, at just £8.93 for the 77 cd collection.
(Shipping is £6.00 within the UK - doubtless much more across the Atlantic for such a hefty box).
The seller Ollos-music currently lists at least ten more copies (and I think the discogs.com dollar price is only $8.65!)

fpreedy

Quote from: Martin H on July 09, 2021, 05:36:04 AM
Discogs are listing what seems an amazing bargain: the massive Itzhak Perlman - Complete Warner Recordings, at just £8.93 for the 77 cd collection.
(Shipping is £6.00 within the UK - doubtless much more across the Atlantic for such a hefty box).
The seller Ollos-music currently lists at least ten more copies (and I think the discogs.com dollar price is only $8.65!)

Seems like a mis-listing but I've given it a try!

Brian

Quote from: Martin H on July 09, 2021, 05:36:04 AM
Let me know how your luck goes - looks like Ollos-music has taken the deal offline already, so I won't be joining you. :(

Martin H

I think the Ollos offerings were just all snapped up.
I looked a a couple of times during the afternoon and saw the numbers on offer falling.
Sorry you missed it (if, that is, it all works out).

Martin H

PS
I've just received a message from Discogs saying it has been shipped. I wait to see what Ollos has sent!